Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

P3D 3.4 Experience Thread

Here's my yesterday's experience on the VAS issue for V3.4...my specs and addons are a few posts above.

I flew KMIA-EDDH as Vatsim CTP 2016 yesterday...lots of traffic in KMIA (Latin VFR V3.1)... fired up P3D and as soon as PMDG 20 seconds system initialization completed I had 1300 Mb residual VAS. After powering up the aircraft and launching FS2Crew it dropped to 1180.......standing about 45 minutes on the ground at Gate E10, then taxiing to Rwy 27..10 minutes at holding point before cleared for take off....residual VAS stable at 1180 Mb. After take off and en route over the ocean residual VAS jumped to 1300 Mb and then remained stable at that value for about 4 hrhs. After 4 hours of flight, right in the middle of the Ocean VAS consumption started to increase slowly but steadily for about 45 minutes until I reached 850 Mb residual VAS. I thought "this is going to be bad"...but then it remained stable and I landed safely in Hamburg 5 hours later with the same value of residual VAS.

I don't understand how P3D manages VAS and I am not sure the behaviour I saw yesterday is normal or not...

AMD Ryzen 7800x3d, Asus ROG Strix RTX4090, Asus x670e-e, G-Skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

I am not sure the behaviour I saw yesterday is normal or not...

Yeah, I've had similar observations.  Are you using a default Hamburg?  What type aircraft?  In my experience with the PMDG 777, if I have more than 850 MB remaining VAS at TOD then I can get to the gate okay.... less than that and I have to save and reload the flight to reset VAS.  With v3.3 and v3.2 it seemed P3D did a much better job of releasing allocated memory and I'd be able to make it to the gate with anything more than 500 MB at TOD..., which is where I find the difference with v3.4 VAS management.

Dan Downs KCRP

standing about 45 minutes on the ground at Gate E10, then taxiing to Rwy 27..10 minutes at holding point before cleared for take off....residual VAS stable at 1180 Mb

To have that much VAS on the takeoff roll would be a dream for me in 3.4.9.... I am bleeding to death...

Just finished a short flight from KDAL to KMSY using MegaSceneryEarth photoreal, 75% AI Traffic culled to 80 planes max, Default KDAL and Payware KMSY with 1k Texture optimization.     Upon spawn in in the 737-800NGX I had 1 gig remaining.   By the time I hit the 31L departure runway it was at 600... -_-.   I pulled up at Gate B8 at KMSY with 91megs of VAS remaining... I was dinging the entire way down to the runway... Ridiculous....

That flight in 3.2 (I've done it a lot for Southwest Virtual) use to have me landing with 800 megs remaining.. now I have 92megs....   and it's the same no matter what...   AI traffic OFF/ON, No difference.   1k Textures on everything from clouds to terrain to airport scenery, no difference.   If I try to use 2k texture res I would have been dead on arrival.    Photoreal scenery pre-loads into memory so it's not MSE doing it.   

From 800megs left (average) in 3.2 to 92megs left in 3.4.9.    Same add-ons as before, same game settings as before.   Same 1k texture overhaul as before.  Shaders flushed.  Camera.cfg flushed.   God why did I delete my 3.2 installers!?   -_-   3.4.9 doesn't like something anymore and I think that is the most frustrating thing of all.. Not Knowing what it is!

Note the highlighted text above.   This is not a made up number.   This is what I use to get.  I've flown this flight 50 times before.   NOT my settings.  NOT my add-ons.   Perhaps it is how 3.4.9 interacts with these add-ons now?   Maybe all the new features stuffed into 3.4.9 from 3.2?   Maybe the evil MCP from TRON is hatching a diabolic plan to drive me insane?

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I suspect it might be the VR implementation. Because that is one of the major new factors, besides cinematic camera-mode.

What I don't quite understand why the oculus view is even available when no VR Headset is connected.

God why did I delete my 3.2 installers!? -_- 3.4.9 doesn't like something anymore and I think that is the most frustrating thing of all.. Not Knowing what it is!

You do not need to go back to 3.2. 3.3.5 has also better VAS management. Do you have also deleted this client installer? This is all you need. You can leave content and scenery on v3.4.

It might have to do with the VR stuff introduced in 3.4. What annoyed me that I got occasional camera stutters using EZDOK/TrackIR, which are not there in 3.3.5. It looks like EZDOK competes in 3.4 with an other camera view, but have no explanation for that behaviour.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

What I don't quite understand why the oculus view is even available when no VR Headset is connected.

I had a problem with this, and when I tried to modify the file to get rid of it I had unintended consequences..., found the solution to be delete \AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D_Default.fxml and \AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\cameras.cfg and let P3D rebuild them.  It made a big difference.  Note first I named is Local and the other Roaming under AppData.  Worth a try.

Dan Downs KCRP

You do not need to go back to 3.2. 3.3.5 has also better VAS management. Do you have also deleted this client installer? This is all you need. You can leave content and scenery on v3.4.

I stopped flying with 3.2 and walked away from simming for almost a full year.  I came back just last month and saw that 3.2 was gone and 3.4.9 was here.  I didn't read anything about it just put my trust that it was better!  And it is.. in most areas on my system but in VAS it gets a golden turkey award with my setup.    So such, since I wasn't around for 3.3.5 no installers and I wiped my 3.2 folder out thinking I wouldn't need it again....  lesson learned.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I had a problem with this, and when I tried to modify the file to get rid of it I had unintended consequences..., found the solution to be delete \AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D_Default.fxml and \AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\cameras.cfg and let P3D rebuild them.  It made a big difference.  Note first I named is Local and the other Roaming under AppData.  Worth a try.

Tired again.   Still booting in at my payware KMSY with just 650megs of VAS available.    I did SEEM to stop the bleeding by setting MaintainSystemCopyOfDeviceTextures=0 and ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION=1 but I should still not be booting in with just 650megs of VAS available in this scenery I have (and this is loading in with a Saved Flight, that little trick to save a little extra VAS).  It should be a GIG free.   I really think P3D just hordes.   I caught of glimpse of something I thought looked like that happening.   I noticed I had set my LOD to 4.5 on my profile bootup on accident so I went into the game options and set LOD back to ULTRA 5.5 and slid Scenery complexity down to Normal from Very Dense.   I went from 500megs to 780megs.  Now, one would say, But of course your memory went up, you slid your Scenery Slider down.   If this is true.  Then how come when I booted up a second time with those setting changes already in place did I boot in with... you guessed it,  650 megs free?    With those changes, shouldn't I have booted in with a higher starting VAS?   I mean I was on very denese before with 650.  I quit, set the launch profile to Normal Scenery Complexity and started up again and... 650megs.. AGAIN.. same gate, same weather, same AI traffic load in.  There was ZERO change.    I was expecting a postive VAS change by setting that Scenery Complexity slider to normal.   Rob's guide states Scenery Complexity is big VAS eater... so... P3D... where are my VAS savings for sacrificing so much Scenery Complexity?  You owe me something!

100454.png

Brian Navy

Tired again.   Still booting in at my payware KMSY with just 650megs of VAS available.    I did SEEM to stop the bleeding by setting MaintainSystemCopyOfDeviceTextures=0 and ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION=1 but I should still not be booting in with just 650megs of VAS available in this scenery I have (and this is loading in with a Saved Flight, that little trick to save a little extra VAS).  It should be a GIG free.   I really think P3D just hordes.   I caught of glimpse of something I thought looked like that happening.   I noticed I had set my LOD to 4.5 on my profile bootup on accident so I went into the game options and set LOD back to ULTRA 5.5 and slid Scenery complexity down to Normal from Very Dense.   I went from 500megs to 780megs.  Now, one would say, But of course your memory went up, you slid your Scenery Slider down.   If this is true.  Then how come when I booted up a second time with those setting changes already in place did I boot in with... you guessed it,  650 megs free?    With those changes, shouldn't I have booted in with a higher starting VAS?   I mean I was on very denese before with 650.  I quit, set the launch profile to Normal Scenery Complexity and started up again and... 650megs.. AGAIN.. same gate, same weather, same AI traffic load in.  There was ZERO change.    I was expecting a postive VAS change by setting that Scenery Complexity slider to normal.   Rob's guide states Scenery Complexity is big VAS eater... so... P3D... where are my VAS savings for sacrificing so much Scenery Complexity?  You owe me something!

Brian

Welcome back to the Flight - simulation experience btw  :wink:  

Do you have any Europe airports installed or anything from FSDT or Flightbeam or ORBX ? 

Would like to make a test with you without any photoreal scenery activated.

Just a reach out to you as i dont have these issues (at least i dont think i have)

Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Welcome back to the Flight - simulation experience btw    

Do you have any Europe airports installed or anything from FSDT or Flightbeam or ORBX ? 

Would like to make a test with you without any photoreal scenery activated.

Just a reach out to you as i dont have these issues (at least i dont think i have)

Michael Moe 

Thank you for the welcome back.

I have no Europe scenery at all as I pretty much only fly for Alaska Airlines and Southwest Airlines so all my scenery is US and Canada.

I own large number of FSDT and all of the available Flightbeam airports..     I own FTX Global but I don't use it.    I use GEX P3D and UTX 2.1 USA for Vector data.   

My VAS is typically worse with Autogen on and photo-real off.    Let's test away!

100454.png

Brian Navy

I upgraded to P3d 3.4 at the beginning of October and upgraded all the software I had (ASN then was my weather app - since upgraded to AS2016) and was dismayed to find my long standing micro stutter problem still existed and it became unusable at low altitudes- the old P3d story for me....end of all possibility  :mad:

However on the 20th of October [which I'll now label 'Revelation Day] the gods at NVIDIA realeased a new driver for my Titan Black. P3d was set free - totally smooth performance and in fact I was able to max out all settings and still get staggering performance almost on the ground at Innsbruck (Just Sim version) and even Aerosoft Heathrow with no configuration until I ran out of memory,which is understandable.  Orbx textures maxed out across three screens at 2K resolutions.

So now I'm happy I've got a P3d installation that I dreamed of - not quite free from problems (Control issues with Aerosoft Airbuses & QW B757) but Ill sort those out.....and I don't care my Aerosoft Twotter revels in swimming in a glorious environment ....paradise  :Tounge:  :smile:

Careful here. If you have not installed a new nVidia driver for some time, it can easily happen that all settings are reverted back to the defaults. This means, SGSSAA, MSAA and all other nVidia driver settings or nVidia Inspector settings are gone. Depending on what you used there before, this could easily explain increased performance...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Thank you for the welcome back.

I have no Europe scenery at all as I pretty much only fly for Alaska Airlines and Southwest Airlines so all my scenery is US and Canada.

I own large number of FSDT and all of the available Flightbeam airports..     I own FTX Global but I don't use it.    I use GEX P3D and UTX 2.1 USA for Vector data.   

My VAS is typically worse with Autogen on and photo-real off.    Let's test away!

That fine,

Make a setup in for instance FB - KSFO (gate of choice) and FSDT CYVR (gate of choice) using your GEX and i will use only FTX Global .(no vector for now)

you can PM me your settings and i will try out with you

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I upgraded to P3d 3.4 at the beginning of October and upgraded all the software I had (ASN then was my weather app - since upgraded to AS2016) and was dismayed to find my long standing micro stutter problem still existed and it became unusable at low altitudes- the old P3d story for me....end of all possibility  :mad:

However on the 20th of October [which I'll now label 'Revelation Day] the gods at NVIDIA realeased a new driver for my Titan Black. P3d was set free - totally smooth performance and in fact I was able to max out all settings and still get staggering performance almost on the ground at Innsbruck (Just Sim version) and even Aerosoft Heathrow with no configuration until I ran out of memory,which is understandable.  Orbx textures maxed out across three screens at 2K resolutions.

So now I'm happy I've got a P3d installation that I dreamed of - not quite free from problems (Control issues with Aerosoft Airbuses & QW B757) but Ill sort those out.....and I don't care my Aerosoft Twotter revels in swimming in a glorious environment ....paradise  :Tounge:  :smile:

Problem with the new NVIDIA driver is that it conflicts with Windows 10 in a way that the mail and calendar app seize functioning.

Problem with the new NVIDIA driver is that it conflicts with Windows 10 in a way that the mail and calendar app seize functioning.

There is already a hotfix driver out. I cite: "Driver version 375.63 has been released. This is the hotfix driver that solves the Windows 10 Tile bug as well as the Mail app crashing bug."

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS