Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

X-Plane 11 Coming November!

Does XP11 have seasons?

This question has already been asked and answered several times. The answer is it doesn't have season texture variations.

-----

I personally don't want to see texture based seasons like we have in FSX. I do want to see shader based seasons, which will just work with existing scenery and Austin mentions later on that they are aware of this and it's in their long-term plans. For texture-based seasons, this is already possible in XP10 using various plugins. 

I'm seeing a lot of negativity cropping up again!!!. I was speaking with some other developers today and it's evident that flight simmers are an incredibly difficult bunch to please.  The conference was very much an FSX/P3D affair (Dovetail games were there but didn't want to discuss their new flight sim). Almost everyone I spoke to repeated the same negativity about X-Plane that it became tiring and a bit disconcerting after a while. I went to the conference with a non-simmer and he couldn't understand why people kept asking the same questions about clouds over and over again and he thought they looked really good. Yep, it's disappointing we didn't see weather updates, but it isn't the end of the sim like some people are making out. In fact, many of the expensive FSX and P3D setups people had with multiple screens looked very grapdically outdated compared to X-Plane.

The graphics engine upgrades and the new included planes and FMS alone are a good deal for the price. It's crazy that most of the people complaining about the cost would happily hand over $199 to LM for an upgrade from v2 to v3 with minimal changes or buy a plane they may only use once or twice for $59, but refuse to give X-Plane a try. It really is a bargin for a simulator that will last a good few years with lots of updates.

Austin's rig is not a great one... MacBook Air ?

He was demoing on a Windows laptop, and they had two Macbook Pros there as well

• Upvote 16

This question has already been asked and answered several times. The answer is it doesn't have season texture variations.

-----

I personally don't want to see texture based seasons like we have in FSX. I do want to see shader based seasons, which will just work with existing scenery and Austin mentions later on that they are aware of this and it's in their long-term plans. For texture-based seasons, this is already possible in XP10 using various plugins. 

I'm seeing a lot of negativity cropping up again!!!. I was speaking with some other developers today and it's evident that flight simmers are an incredibly difficult bunch to please.  The conference was very much an FSX/P3D affair (Dovetail games were there but didn't want to discuss their new flight sim). Almost everyone I spoke to repeated the same negativity about X-Plane that it became tiring and a bit disconcerting after a while. I went to the conference with a non-simmer and he couldn't understand why people kept asking the same questions about clouds over and over again and he thought they looked really good. Yep, it's disappointing we didn't see weather updates, but it isn't the end of the sim like some people are making out. In fact, many of the expensive FSX and P3D setups people had with multiple screens looked very grapdically outdated compared to X-Plane.

The graphics engine upgrades and the new included planes and FMS alone are a good deal for the price. It's crazy that most of the people complaining about the cost would happily hand over $199 to LM for an upgrade from v2 to v3 with minimal changes or buy a plane they may only use once or twice for $59, but refuse to give X-Plane a try. It really is a bargin for a simulator that will last a good few years with lots of updates.

:Applause: 

• Upvote 2

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I guess I misunderstood- sometime in the future if there are seasons, I will be happy

What are shader based seasons?

I live in MN and we have four seasons hehe

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The lack of roads and airports with buildings in the US is one of the reasons I do not fly XP10 anymore... that and a terrible AI traffic system.   I said this in the past but it feels like XP10 caters scenery wise more to European flyers than North American flyers.   I don't know if that is the same case now but its how I felt back a year ago... the OSM data was way incomplete in the US, most airports had no buildings...   I would be delighted to hear if it is more robust now.     XP10's sloped runways and that night lighting engine CANNOT be beat yet.    I want to believe!    As far as that video, great looking improvements but that FPS on some of those sequences was in the teens.  @_@  Ouch.   

Lack of roads ? Airports are crowd source effort, so it's hit or miss. I think the European simmers are more involved in the crowed source effort. There is a lot of downloadable airports at the org.  

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

And as such, it effects the look of everything in the simulator and should result in much better looking "everything" out of the box (even the same landscape scenery should look much better ).

Indeed, I really liked what I saw and can't wait to start playing round with PBR textures. 

Tony, don't you remember at least something of what Austin described to be the updates to the flight model ?

Sorry Jose but it went a liitle over my head (He was very enthusiastic about it, but I think possibly went on a bit too long about it). You can catch it in the video though, and perhaps you can provide a translation for us non engineers :-)

• Upvote 1

No weather update, no seasons... I'm happy

with my XPX now, I have nice payware planes and scenery. No more beta cycle for me. If I need to spend money, I'll have a look at P3D instead. No, don't tell me about that license thing now... 😉

Nothing really interesting besides the limited eye candy stuff. Still no decent weather, ATC or AI which is extremely important for commercial flying.

Not all simmers focus on commercial flying. By all means, enjoy your P3D! Just be careful not to use complex airliners, complex airports and complex scenery at the same time, or you might be in trouble.

• Upvote 5

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I live in MN and we have four seasons hehe

No you don't. You have winter and everything else. It's like here in Texas We have hot and everything else.

NAX669.png

What are shader based seasons?

Imagine snow falling and slowly building up in real-time. A developer doesn't need to provide 4 different versions of a texture like in FSX, but instead effects are applied that change the scenery in real-time. I think even FlightGear (the opensource simulator) has some form of this and it's present in some modern games.

• Upvote 3

Tony, don't you remember at least something of what Austin described to be the updates to the flight model ?

In the Youtube video, he only mentions improvements in the PT-6 engine model. In the slides, he lists "hydraulic system modeling", "stalling under ice" and "improved manifold pressure model", but I think they're also related to the PT-6 modeling?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Thx Tony and Murmur...

with time this will certainly become more thoroughly described ...

I'll try to properly watch the video, maybe tomorrow.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I was unsure about this as well. I'd presumed that the hydraulics and icing would be global things. I guess we'll find out soon enough when our resident gurus get their hands on it and can report back :-)

ok, let me summarize this things:

no weather engine update at all ? he ? WTH ? (It´s not only my opinion, but this is one of the poorly features implemented in XP10)

no seasons (I know there are some "icing" effects on the aircraft in the air and (but) if I do not see any snow or rain on the runway, It is some "subjective" feeling to say "ok now It´s taking longer to decelerate the aircraft" (it´s no matter if this is simulated) I mean, I can take my tweaks for this, but....

no really big updates on Traffic and ATC (not for me, most of the time I´m online or using RC4 and World Traffic and I´m happy)

...etc etc.. it´s to much to list all of the wanted features for XP11... ( I know everything isn´t possible, but...)

This 3 features are the most wanted for the XP11 and this is not since 2 weeks  :Shame On You:

NEW:

- new GUI

- new PBR effects on the aircraft (I mean I´m sitting inside on the aircraft and not outside, or is this for all surfaces, buildings etc ?)

- "new" european autogen (have it already with w2XP)

Look, I´m a very big fan of XP9 XP10 but that´s here is for me simple not enough for XP11 !! (and some people know me here, and I´m sharing some of my tweaks with the community)

It´s not about 69.00 bucks really, that´s no problem but for me this here is just only XP10.70 (or some number like this) - to little has been done !

just my two cents.....

cheers :Party:

• Upvote 4

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

Nothing really interesting besides the limited eye candy stuff. Still no decent weather, ATC or AI which is extremely important for commercial flying. I'm happy to see some kind of improvements, and of course I'll try it out, but still sad to see the path X-Plane is headed. The only thing X-Plane has going for it is the night lighting, and that's to some degree, still looks horrible when flying in pitch dark and you can see where the lights cut off in a square radius around your plane. The moon and the sun overlaying on top of the horizon are 2 very simple things that haven't even been fixed yet, and I've mentioned this to Ben many times. I'm sure he's aware of this.

The new UI is a welcoming change, but until I see weather, atc and AI being implemented, I'll only see X-Plane as a casual sim thats missing vital features.

the good AI and weather that you and i enjoy in the P3D and FSX are works of third party devs not inbuilt sim features, ESP code from microsoft that Lockheed martin and Dovetail are trying to revamp is faaaar behind what Laminar research did with X-plane 10. leave alone X-plane 11..

Rendering and performance wise  , XP crushes FSX and P3D , its only that FSX and P3D have offered up an incredible SDK from start that the third party fully make use of with wonderful results ! X-plane Failed at that. (WED and Plane maker not included :P )

i use all three sims . enjoy flying all three, and looking at clouds too :D

kind regards,

jaff

• Upvote 1

no really big updates on Traffic and ATC

Does anyone actually use the default ATC in any sim? They are all really bad in my opinion. If you are serious about having good ATC then flying online or using a paid service like PilotEdge is probably the best we have for now (Coverage pending of course)

When the presentation started and they were showing the UI, it looked like they had added support for more than 3 cloud and wind layers:

IMG_20161008_111416.jpg

I'm guessing though that the UI just doesn't let you add more than 3.

• Upvote 2