What did you order in the end?

• Asus Z170-A Intel Skylake SLi/CrossFire ATX Motherboard
  •  
  • Intel Core i7 6700K Processor
  •  
  • Noctua NH-U14S U-Series
  •  
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit

A lot more money than I had ever meant to spend.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

• Asus Z170-A Intel Skylake SLi/CrossFire ATX Motherboard
  •  
  • Intel Core i7 6700K Processor
  •  
  • Noctua NH-U14S U-Series
  •  
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit

A lot more money than I had ever meant to spend.

I know the feeling ;o)  What gfx card u got?

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

I know the feeling ;o)  What gfx card u got?

I've still got my GTX 770 4GB, but will update that in a month or two. Looking at the 980Ti or more likely the newer 1080. If I was staying with FSX, then there would be little point in upgrading the GPU, but if I install P3D, which is the idea, then a better GPU will be on the cards. I am very happy with FSX and have always been, but recently as I have installed some bigger airports and sceneries then OOMs have started occurring. Something I have never experienced previously. I fly the NGX 50% of the time and the idea of having to purchase another aircraft just for P3D leaves a sour taste in my mouth. 

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

I've still got my GTX 770 4GB, but will update that in a month or two. Looking at the 980Ti or more likely the newer 1080.

I'd go for the 1070 rather than the 1080. The 1070 is generally about 40% cheaper than the 1080 and performs better than the old Titan X in most benchmarks.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks Martin, the NH-D15S is a bit out of my budget, costs have already gone £100 past my original budget. What is thNoctua NH-U14S U-Series like?

I see you've already ordered, but as I mentioned previously, quite a lot cooler than the 212 Evo. 11 degrees! In fact, only 6 degrees warmer than the old NH-D14. Fantastic results for a single tower cooler.

If you add a second fan, you can shave off another two degrees.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/noctua_nh_u12s_u14s_review,11.html

I see you've already ordered, but as I mentioned previously, quite a lot cooler than the 212 Evo. 11 degrees! In fact, only 6 degrees warmer than the old NH-D14. Fantastic results for a single tower cooler.

If you add a second fan, you can shave off another two degrees.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/noctua_nh_u12s_u14s_review,11.html

Hi Martin, sure, I've had to watch the budget as it was getting out of hand. Besides, I don't like OC to the absolute max, so I'm hoping I can still get to 4.6-4.7. It's also cooler than the Hyper 212 which I was originally going to get. 

Howard

The temperatures of my CPU cores (measured by CPUID HW Monitor) are a bit higher than I would like, but I am not sure if this has always been the case. My i5 4690k was overclocked to 4.6Ghz for two years (and cooled by that CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO), but I have recently throttled it back to 4.4Ghz to be on the safe side. It may just be a build up of dust, so I will need to check that out. I certainly don't want a total failure before I think about buying a new PC!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

What are the temps Chris?

Run RealBench and measure with RealTemp. Make a note of the ambient too.

Don't worry about "total failure" the CPU will throttle back and shut down if it's experiencing excessive temp.

But yes, certainly clean out the dust on a regular basis. Be careful with vacuum cleaners though, the high velocity air through the pipes generates static electricity. 

Better to use a can of air.

Thanks for this, it's very helpful. But I find it frustrating when there is so much conflicting information on the forum. I don't want to run with Win 10, I want to stay with 7.

Have w7 PRO on my i7 6700k and well installing all the drivers is quite a hassle but it shouldnt be a problem. If you encounter any issues plz Tag me and I may help you out

Have w7 PRO on my i7 6700k and well installing all the drivers is quite a hassle but it shouldnt be a problem. If you encounter any issues plz Tag me and I may help you out

Hi Drago, what do you mean when you say quite a hassle? What do I have top look forward to?

Howard

Hi Drago, what do you mean when you say quite a hassle? What do I have top look forward to?

Updating the drivers proved to be quite a pain. This was indeed my first build but still. For instance, I just could not download simple drivers and install them outright. C++ 2015 is one of those (needed for VMRGenerator and whatnot). Furthermore, I had trubbles with my usb and ASmedia drivers.

Anyhow, to save you the pain with it all:

Use your motherboard disc to install these two drivers only!

1) LAN driver (ethernet cable)

2) USB driver.

Do that only if download is not an option! In case you need assistence with anything during your build just ask me via PM :) Best of wishes!

Updating the drivers proved to be quite a pain. This was indeed my first build but still. For instance, I just could not download simple drivers and install them outright. C++ 2015 is one of those (needed for VMRGenerator and whatnot). Furthermore, I had trubbles with my usb and ASmedia drivers.

Anyhow, to save you the pain with it all:

Use your motherboard disc to install these two drivers only!

1) LAN driver (ethernet cable)

2) USB driver.

Do that only if download is not an option! In case you need assistence with anything during your build just ask me via PM :) Best of wishes!

I appreciate that matey, thanks. No doubt I'll drop you a line at some point!

Howard

You shouldn't have any issues Howard. There are numerous individuals with Skylake rigs running W7.

I went for W10, but this will help...

https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1015837/

Thanks Martin, much appreciated.

Howard