Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

Best combination of ASN16, ASCA + Rex Texture Direct?

So ENVTEX integrates with AS16 for dynamic cloud textures updates while in flight?  But REX cant?

spacer.png

Not sure.

Rex upper clouds loads 4 different sets within 1 set. Lower clouds = Soft clouds is one set, but in the sim clouds never look the same or it would make the sim look very bad. How that works I have no idear. 

Lots of people like ENVTEX but never tried it myself. So I can't speak of it.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, Boomer said:

So ENVTEX integrates with AS16 for dynamic cloud textures updates while in flight?  But REX cant?

For CLOUD TEXTURES, no....for SKY TEXTURES, yes .... I believe it is ENVTEX future plans to be a YES :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

WAT1460.png

14 minutes ago, vcarlo said:

For CLOUD TEXTURES, no....for SKY TEXTURES, yes .... I believe it is ENVTEX future plans to be a YES :biggrin:

Now I'm confused...I thought ENVTEX would provide you with dynamically changing textures just like when you're using ASCA alone with AS16...the only difference is the textures injected will be ENVTEX textures rather than ASCA textures.

Are you saying only the sky textures are dynamically changing when using ASCA in combination with ENVTEX?

Richard Åsberg

I thought the above was true as well, based upon a reading of the ENVTEX user guide.

spacer.png

26 minutes ago, Boomer said:

I thought the above was true as well, based upon a reading of the ENVTEX user guide.

Maybe this quote from the developer will help you understand the difference between SKY and CLOUD texture usage from ENVTEX into ASCA ...

"As for ASCA, it works differently. ASCA will use the same texture for the 10 possible textures of each time of day, like REX or many other sky texture creators, but it it not a problem anymore as ASCA can dynamically change them depending on weather and location.

Basically, the 11 non ASCA presets contains the same variety of textures than the 60 presets optimized for ASCA. Meaning both uses our 500+ sky textures.
I hope I explained it clearly

3. Currently there is no way to use Envtex and ASCA clouds at the same time, we hope that we will be able to inject them in ASCA in the future just as we did with the sky, but for that we need that Hifi gives us an API or a kind of SDK. This is not the case at the moment for the clouds but they said in the past they will create a Cloud API in the future
You can be confident it will happen as we are working closely with the Hifi team who has been a great partner from the beginning".  ENVTEX forum Feb 2017

ASCA changes the cloud textures DYNAMICALLY when using the DYNAMIC THEME.  It doesn't matter whose clouds you are using. Before ASCA, change in weather conditions did not change the cloud textures iinstalled.  Now ASCA can dynamically change the types of clouds based on weather condition changes, but only ASCA cloud textures can be changed at this time.

WAT1460.png

Realized my above was still confusing... I attempted to EDIT it but was "timed out" >>>>>

EDIT:  TO TRY AND CLARIFY    There is a check box in ASCA SETTINGS for CLOUDS - if CHECKED ASCA will only use their own Cloud Textures based on the THEME chosen by the user.  If this box is UNCHECKED, ASCA will ONLY use the Texture Base that has been last submitted to your P3D texture folder. (REX, FEX, Default, ENVTEX, freeware 3rd party, etc).  Personally, I prefer to use freeware 3rd party clouds with CLOUDS UNCHECKED and DYNAMIC theme and my clouds look different every flight based upon the current weather conditions. Highly recommended :biggrin:

WAT1460.png

11 minutes ago, vcarlo said:

Realized my above was still confusing... I attempted to EDIT it but was "timed out" >>>>>

EDIT:  TO TRY AND CLARIFY    There is a check box in ASCA SETTINGS for CLOUDS - if CHECKED ASCA will only use their own Cloud Textures based on the THEME chosen by the user.  If this box is UNCHECKED, ASCA will ONLY use the Texture Base that has been last submitted to your P3D texture folder. (REX, FEX, Default, ENVTEX, freeware 3rd party, etc).  Personally, I prefer to use freeware 3rd party clouds with CLOUDS UNCHECKED and DYNAMIC theme and my clouds look different every flight based upon the current weather conditions. Highly recommended :biggrin:

This is the way I have it setup as well and I'm very happy with the AS16-ASCA-ENVTEX combo.

Now if someone could find a solution for the clouds in front of you always rotating to the left and right when you get close in VR I would be ever more happy :wink: but as I understood it this is one of the many wonderful limitations found in the core of the simulator be it FSX or P3D...

Richard Åsberg

So like this, it users the clouds your have installed fron REX or ENVTEX and ASCA changers the sky colour to suit.

asca.jpg

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I think you want to keep cloud structures enabled in ASCA.

Richard Åsberg

Well I thought that Richard until I watched this, so now am not sure:blink:

look at 2:30-2:40

To further clarify ( or confuse) I see some people not grasping the "dynamic" mode properly.

For the sake of argument - all dev's have SETS of clouds - in normal operation you can only have ONE SET active, whether it be ASCA, REX or whatever - the sim will choose clouds from WITHIN this SET to try to provide the best representation of the weather.

When using ASCA and dynamic modes, you can essentially change SETS on the fly as you are changing clouds within the sets, thus giving you a much broader range of visuals with far less repetition of cloud shapes.

If you want dynamic cloud changes - AS16+ASCA. If you want weather as in prior versions - AS16 +ASCA/REX/etc.

Vic

edit: if you disable cloud structures in ASCA you 1) do NOT get dynamic changes and 2) AS16 will use whatever cloud set was LAST loaded ( as always been in FSX/P3D)

If you enable clouds structures in ASCA AND use ASCA clouds, you can get dynamic changes

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Vic what happens if you have Rex Soft clouds installed and in ASCA have Sky colors ticked(well thats easy) but have Cloud Structures also ticked? as per this?

Its no clear

On 10/07/2016 at 2:57 PM, basementflyguy said:

The solution was deceptively simple ... set the ASCA config to control only sky colors (or sky colors and cloud structures, if you like)

If you have REX installed AND have Clouds ticked in ASCA, the REX clouds will be overwritten and not used.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I'm still happily flying with ASN as this dynamic cloud stuff has never been clear to me.

With ASN and REX you can select and assign one specific cloud texture for each cloud type in your current active cloud set. My understanding is that ASN will display any and/or all of those cloud type textures that if feels appropriate during your flight based on the weather metars you fly through. Is this correct?

Does AS16 and ASCA go one step further where AS16 will display any cloud type plus any texture for that cloud type that it sees fit for any metar area as you fly? If so I assume this means I know longer need to select and assign cloud textures to each cloud type with ASCA.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4