Sign in to follow this  
vector

New UK airport for FS9

Soarfly Concepts have released Durham Tees airport for FS9 which you can get from SimMarket for EUR17.99

Dijvid

I will wait on this one to see if UK2000 makes this airport.

I will wait on this one to see if UK2000 makes this airport.

I think you will have quite a long wait.  If you look at UK2000's website you will see what they are planning to finish this year and what airports they plan to release in 2017 - Durham Tees is not one of them.  After that they may decide not to support FS9 - who knows?.

Dijvid

• Upvote 1

I think you will have quite a long wait.  If you look at UK2000's website you will see what they are planning to finish this year and what airports they plan to release in 2017 - Durham Tees is not one of them.  After that they may decide not to support FS9 - who knows?.

Dijvid

Good point. When I posted that I totally forgot about that list on UK2000's site.

Good point. When I posted that I totally forgot about that list on UK2000's site.

I haven't d/loaded SoarFly's offering as Durham Tees isn't a very "interesting" airport for me.  However, there is a freebie version by someone else if you want to try it.  For some reason I'm one of those people who can't paste anything into a thread here otherwise I'd give you the link.

Dijvid

Could we have a review of the payware version of this airport from someone who has purchased it?  Thanks.

Could we have a review of the payware version of this airport from someone who has purchased it?  Thanks.

I would suggest you try the freeware version of this as mentioned in a previous post - that should give you a reasonable idea of quality, etc.  Durham Tees airport is not one of the most notable of airports and you might wait forever until someone does a review of the payware version.  I won't be buying it because IMO it's not a very "interesting" airport.

Dijvid

Well I bought this scenery and I must say it's not that bad. I do have two problems with the scenery which I really don't like. The scenery includes static aircraft which I can not delete (there is no separate bgl file for the static planes). I did email the author hoping he will do something about the static aircraft. (the static aircraft are the Falcon 20's and some others based there and I have my own Falcon 20 AI planes)

The other problem I have is the fencing. The fencing in the scenery is the kind where when your looking at it you can see anything through the fence on the other side. So at certain angles it will appear as if some of the scenery is cut off. Also at certain angles the fences textures blink.

Overall the scenery isn't all that bad. I just hope I can delete the static planes. I hate static planes.

I also bought the scenery and agree that Soarfly has done a nice job.  The statics were provided to Soarfly by UK2000 so they are quite nice models but I was interested in using the very nice Sean Gregory AI Falcon 20 model.  I contacted the developer about eliminating the statics and he graciously provided me with a patch, which removes both the Falcon 20 and Jetstream 41 statics.  He plans to make the patch available only upon request.  I also experienced the transparency issue with the fencing.  The developer says he is working on a solution.  I think it is a draw order issue but of course I will leave it to him sort out.  The fencing is a tiny bit distracting but not a deterent for buying this scenery, especially since the developer is looking for a fix.  By the way, he is a FS9 guy and plans on doing some more airports.  We need to support that, if it is within your means to buy the airport and you are interested in complementing your stable of UK2000 airports.

One final point about the SGAI Falcon model.  I had a problem with the model floating but it was resolved by Greg Peters over at the Alpha India Group forum with some replacement contact points for the aircraft config file.  If you are interested in this very fine AI model and have the same issue then stroll over to the AIG forum and look at the end of the "Time to update the Falcon" thread.  Greg's revision cures the problem.  

Cheers,

Greg

I also bought the scenery and agree that Soarfly has done a nice job.  The statics were provided to Soarfly by UK2000 so they are quite nice models but I was interested in using the very nice Sean Gregory AI Falcon 20 model.  I contacted the developer about eliminating the statics and he graciously provided me with a patch, which removes both the Falcon 20 and Jetstream 41 statics.  He plans to make the patch available only upon request.  I also experienced the transparency issue with the fencing.  The developer says he is working on a solution.  I think it is a draw order issue but of course I will leave it to him sort out.  The fencing is a tiny bit distracting but not a deterent for buying this scenery, especially since the developer is looking for a fix.  By the way, he is a FS9 guy and plans on doing some more airports.  We need to support that, if it is within your means to buy the airport and you are interested in complementing your stable of UK2000 airports.

One final point about the SGAI Falcon model.  I had a problem with the model floating but it was resolved by Greg Peters over at the Alpha India Group forum with some replacement contact points for the aircraft config file.  If you are interested in this very fine AI model and have the same issue then stroll over to the AIG forum and look at the end of the "Time to update the Falcon" thread.  Greg's revision cures the problem.  

Cheers,

Greg

If he continues to support and make Airports for FS9 then I will be buying this ,I wish others would reconsider their view on FS9,I know that the Airports can be made more detailed in FSX but I would be more then happy with toned down FS9 versions as at the moment due to PC specs my FS2004 looks better then FSX.

Thanks

Rich

ugcx_banner.png

Thanks for the info on the Static planes Greg. I emailed the developer last night about removing the static planes, so hopefully I will be getting the patch to remove them soon. 

... I know that the Airports can be made more detailed in FSX ...

That is a common view out there but not necessarily true.  I think FS9 airport scenery can be made every bit as detailed as FSX.  When there is a will, there is a way, despite some of the inherent limitations of FS9.   The problem is not too many developers have the will (meaning monetary incentive).  Over at Aerosoft in a forum on the recent release of a new Frankfurt for FS9, Mr. Kok (one of the Aerosoft proprietors) said something I found to be very insightful.  He said, in reference Mega Airport Frankfurt, "And from a scenery point of view, FS2004 still makes a lot of sense. The FS2004 version of the scenery looks great, the FSX version does not add a lot. FS2004 was beaten because of the aircraft development where we needed the additional CPU cycles that only multicore support could bring."  

Greg

That is a common view out there but not necessarily true. I think FS9 airport scenery can be made every bit as detailed as FSX. When there is a will, there is a way, despite some of the inherent limitations of FS9. The problem is not too many developers have the will (meaning monetary incentive). Over at Aerosoft in a forum on the recent release of a new Frankfurt for FS9, Mr. Kok (one of the Aerosoft proprietors) said something I found to be very insightful. He said, in reference Mega Airport Frankfurt, "And from a scenery point of view, FS2004 still makes a lot of sense. The FS2004 version of the scenery looks great, the FSX version does not add a lot. FS2004 was beaten because of the aircraft development where we needed the additional CPU cycles that only multicore support could bring."

Greg

Yeah I have the EDDF v2 and it does look really good , A/C wise I'm not too worried about as I mainly fly the IFLY 737 but it would be good to have some more updated scenery

ugcx_banner.png