Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

I just got my very own 737-800...

It's funny I couldn't stand p3dv3 in the rift everything is blurry but is a lot of fun in DCS,aerofly and War Thunder. This tech has amazing potential but it needs two 4k screens vs 2 1080p screens

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

It's funny I couldn't stand p3dv3 in the rift everything is blurry but is a lot of fun in DCS,aerofly and War Thunder. This tech has amazing potential but it needs two 4k screens vs 2 1080p screens

Well, I only tried it with P3D so I have nothing to compare it to and right now I'm just amazed with the sensation of "being there" but I did watch a video clip showing Aerofly and it looked stunning so if it looks equally good in VR it must be a fantastic experience!

Richard Åsberg

As I said in my initial post FlyInside has a method that will allow you to experience a much higher FPS compared to what you actually have in P3D. When you bring up the main menu in FlyInside it will show you both your P3D (actual) FPS as well as the FPS you will experience in your VR glasses. In my case a FPS of about 40-45 in P3D will give me 90-95 in the glasses.

As for the mouse clicks some training is all it takes like you say just when using TrackIR for the first time. Same goes for the FMC, you'll be able to operate it just fine from the VR cockpit but might take some sessions before you get the hang of it.

FlyInside is a separate software developed to give you a great VR experience in flight sims. You can read all about it if you follow the link I posted above in some of the posts or just do a Google search for it and you'll find the homepage.

Not sure about SLI since I don't have an SLI setup myself but I do think I read somewhere in the FlyInside documentation they were talking about SLI and since FlyInside relies on Oculus (or HTC Vive although they recommend Oculus) that would indicate Oculus indeed does support SLI but that too should be easy to find doing some Google searching.

Spotted your post.. good stuff.. I'm also a VR flyer of Oculus (see my VR experiences thread in my sig if interested for the full low down)..

I had also tested with the Vive and found the rift to be sharper, so I've stuck with that.

I have leap motion working and i'm still trying to work out kinks with it, its often easier just to grab the mouse real fast and click (sadly).. i know flyinside has areas to tweak on that, but i'm unsure which parameters to change.  I have a set of oculus touch controllers coming, but that seems kludgy to pickup a controller.  

I'm currently trying to figure out which ATC/voice command software to go with.  I want full ability to speak to ATC but yet not have to submit flight plans all the time to do so (lazy yeah).. PF3 was a consideration but it requires the plan filed before hand.  Pilot2atc seemed interesting but there were windows that would have to be docked.  I have MCE as well.. plus voice attack (which works really well to issue commands without touching a thing! :) )

I extensively tested my 1080 ftw hybrid with SLI..(i have threads on here on this too and in the main vr one) and found SLI to be a fail.. i got stuttering with head panning.. never could work it out and the frame rate did not really increase much.. basically i could enable 4xSGSS without much of a hit though.

What do you set your flyinside resolution at?  Mine is maxed out.. if i hit weather it will bring things down quite a bit.. Ie: ftx kors mid 20's.. chicago with chicago x going on in a 737 PMDG i might see 21 fps on the runway with heavy weather.. otherwise the frame rate isnt bad.. this is all with NOT using much SGSS, maybe 2SGSS max, otherwise i drag.

I've used the goggles in Aerofly FS2 (which side note, is so much easier to just get in and go without constant tuning of the sim) and i've tested flyinside with xplane 10 (and soon with xplane 11).. seems to be less jaggies in my initial testing of xplane 10 (i think).

Curing shimmering has been my goal, and with 2SGSS its tolerable.. still pretty hard to see things way off, but a zoom really helps.  I think too, maybe using an xbox one controller as more button input may help as well.

Oh, I also wear glasses and they are pretty wide ones.. my first rift set i had issues with them being too tight just above my nose.. then my goggles audio died and i had them replaced, the new set i have no issues, nor did i need to cut away foam like i did with that first set.  

I think after some time they get stuffy inside there (30 mins)... warm etc, but no real cure short of finding a way to put a fan inside :)

Just my take so far.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Hummmm, sounds good but.....

... I'm wondering if this would cause any eye-sight damage or seizures having the "screen" only a few millimeters  away from your retina? DO you experience any vertigo, headaches, sweating, or anxiety after 30 minutes of playing?

Hummmm, sounds good but.....

... I'm wondering if this would cause any eye-sight damage or seizures having the "screen" only a few millimeters away from your retina? DO you experience any vertigo, headaches, sweating, or anxiety after 30 minutes of playing?

I think sitting in front of a big 2D flatscreen monitor is probably worse for your eyes than rift VR is. The brightness of the VR screens is not enough to damage your eyes. I have flown 2-3 hours a day on rift for months, my eyesight is less strained because I'm not staring at a monitor that is too close and too bright. As for sickness, my brain adjusted very quickly, but perhaps for some people it doesn't. There is a possibility that excessive VR is not good for you either (like 12 hours a day or something).

The CEO of ORBX has said he does his flying in VR now, and he needed to get eye pieces for his Rift, check out the forum over at ORBX about it:

CEO of Orbx on VR:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/125400-oculus-what-an-experience/#comment-1119885

CEO of Orbx on prescription lenses:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/124576-oculus-rift-and-htc-vive-prescription-lenses-now-available/

When it comes to your health and long-time use of VR and what it might do to you I guess no one will know for sure right now but maybe all of us using VR will regret we did X years from now...who knows.

However I would like to think as long as you don't spend a couple of hours on a daily basis you should be fine. Personally after the testing I've done so far I haven't felt anything bad with the exception of a split second of dizziness when the aircraft comes to a full stop and drops it's nose a bit. I mentioned this in an earlier post.

What do you set your flyinside resolution at?

I have it set to 2880x1620 if I recall the numbers correctly (mentioned it a couple of posts ago) and I find this the best option. I tried max as well which I think is 4K but I didn't think the result was really any better than 2880x1620 where I at the same time thought the smoothness wasn't as good.

Richard Åsberg

I have it set to 2880x1620 if I recall the numbers correctly (mentioned it a couple of posts ago) and I find this the best option. I tried max as well which I think is 4K but I didn't think the result was really any better than 2880x1620 where I at the same time thought the smoothness wasn't as good.

Mines at the next notch up, i may need to revisit this, but i could have sworn that at least to my eyes, there was less shimmer on the highest setting.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Mines at the next notch up, i may need to revisit this, but i could have sworn that at least to my eyes, there was less shimmer on the highest setting.

You might be correct there's less shimmering. I only tested it very briefly and reverted to my current resolution when I felt how looking around in the cockpit wasn't as smooth.

Richard Åsberg

Biggest problem in the future for VR is addiction. It is so immersive people will neglect the real world.

Highly recommend voice recognition software. Multi Crew Experience works pretty well on the built in Rift microphone. I don't need to use a keyboard in the Rift. Whatever I want to do I just say it.

Another tip for virtual windows is instead of opening or closing them inside the virtual cockpit, you can minimize and maximize them using the standard windows shortcuts (windows key + down or up arrow) when the virtual window is in focus.

Another tip for virtual windows is instead of opening or closing them inside the virtual cockpit, you can minimize and maximize them using the standard windows shortcuts (windows key + down or up arrow) when the virtual window is in focus.

I've been using the hide/show feature in FlyInside where you're able to hide/show all virtual windows with a single click, very convenient!

Richard Åsberg

Hi WebMaximus thanks for posting your thoughts. But now that you have had it for a few days, do you have any regrets about your purchase? do you still feel the same excitement? I to have a similar setup as you with a 50"4K monitor, and I"m happy with the frame rate and visuals, but after reading your post I have the urge to go 3D.

Resolution in current VR is NOT 2x 1080p screen. It's only half of 1080p as you get sth like 1200x1080 each eye.

If this is not abysmal already, Oculus decided to use pentile OLED in their Rift, which means you lose half of red and blue pixels. So altogether, it's closer to real resolution of 800x600 each eye. Totally pathetic.

That's why after having DK2 I'm determined to skip this first generation VR set and waiting for the 2nd generation to come out. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

abysmal

Totally pathetic

The Oculus resolution is good enough for me. Sure, it would be nice if the resolution was higher. But since that's all we can get right now, and nobody knows how long we'll have to wait until any 2nd generation headsets become available, then I am satisfied with what I have right now, and I totally enjoy flying and racing with it. Virtual reality is the most new and enjoyable experience I've had with any kind of computer entertainment for a decade. Speculating about how much better the future VR display resolution could be given sufficient time is not something that lessens my enjoyment.

That is an issue. FlyInside needs to run inside the P3D memory space, so you will have OOM issues in situations where you're already at the limit without VR. I've just had to dial back the LOD and Autogen sliders one notch to avoid problems, but I only fly GA, so I'm rarely near major international airports and I never fly big passenger liners.

I guess that decides it! I will wait for the 64 bit sim. ( Hopefully that's the next evolution) By that time, I may have saved enough money for the equipment anyway!

P3dv3.4 has so many extra features in there now, in my experience, its groaning under the VAS load. The 4Gb (3.6 in reality) is the limiting factor. Running any extra programs inside VAS will limit quite a few heavy payware add ons!

Very interesting thread though. VR has to be the future for our hobby! Thanks for the discussion.

Best regards

David

Some good arguments for coming down on either side of the fence here.

I've concluded that the current state of affairs with VR goggles does not justify disturbing my current well-functioning P3D setup...a 55" 4K TV, 4790K with dual 980Ti GPUs in SLI, customized PFC flight controls, and dual iPad FMS CDUs.

But...my last-generation sim PC is still sitting here grossly underutilized...a 4.7 GHz i7-2600K with a water-cooled GTX980, a Thrustmaster Warthog stick/throttle, and a second set of PFC rudder pedals.  So, I'm thinking about setting that rig back up for FSX with the Rift and a couple old favorite single-seat add-ons like the VRS F-18 and Milviz T-38, where the narrow instrument panel might be a better match for the narrow VR aspect ratio.  That kind of flying doesn't entail needing the usual cast of frame rate and VAS killers--challenging add-on scenery, traffic, etc.  If it works, I might even build a bare cockpit enclosure for it with a proper seat and the stick/throttle/rudder pedals appropriately positioned/mounted...seems it would be a far easier prospect if you don't need a panel of any kind.

Fascinating possibilities...

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case