Sign in to follow this  
Orlaam

PFPX worth it?

I have PFPX I don't use it. Tried it but I am happy with FSBuild and Flightaware.

Richie Walsh

It seems like PFPX would be a useful tool for longhaul pilots, but that Simbrief can probably do the job for most flights

Simbrief is also VERY capable of dispatching NAT/PECOT routes; the only feature it's missing is re-dispatch.  However, it has ETOPs and other long haul planning features; so, it's a viable international route planner...  

Matt King

ETOPS? When a route for a twin engine can be diverted at any time to a viable runway within an hour on one engine is not a requirement for the plan? Seems like any old plan falls under this category. Is there a planner available that can ensure the distance at one engine speed over one hour is not exceeded to the nearest runway at any point in the plan? If so does anyone use that for the flight sim experience?

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I used PFPX for many years but to be honest it's far to complicated for the average simmers needs.  Simbrief is far superior to just get up in the air ASAP with a usable flightplan and that fact that Simbrief works with Navigraph AIRAC cycles is a huge thumbs up from me.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Simbrief works with Navigraph AIRAC cycles is a huge thumbs up from me.

so  does  pfpx  cant  see  why everyone  is  saying  pfpx is  complicated  its  not  in fact its quite  just as  easy  as  simbrief 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I've used both simbrief and PFPX a lot.  I like PFPX's ability to export to VATSIM and save plans to any number of applications, locations and aircraft.  I also cut/paste flight plans from flightaware. 

Jeff Callender

so  does  pfpx  cant  see  why everyone  is  saying  pfpx is  complicated  its  not  in fact its quite  just as  easy  as  simbrief 

Simbrief is free. So a winner for me.

Simbrief is free. So a winner for me.

Yes  in one  way it  is  but  there is  a donate  button if  you like using  it

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I know it does and it should since it's payware.   There are way to many bells and whistles in there though for some people.  Simbrief is a far simpler solution for casual flying needs.  PFPX is just that.. PROFESSIONAL.   Most people don't need that level of detail.   PFPX is a great program.  I used it for 2 years but after using Simbrief it's just a faster way to get flight plan solutions into the sim and all my add-ons that rely on flight plan files to function.  

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

There are way to many bells and whistles in there though for some people

true   than  why  do users  get  pmdg  aircraft  for  than  if  they want  some  thing  simple  just  go  for  the defautl   ones :wink:

Peter kelberg

I used SimBrief last night.  Didn't fully know all the options exactly, but knew enough to make it work.  I chose 120.4 as my ZFW but the OFP displayed 117.653.  WTH? 

All in all it was fine but I was in a super hurry.  I'll play with it some more.  It seems good, and the winds were actually correct, unlike ASN/AS16.  They're always low/inaccurate. 

I still might check out PFPX too.  41 USD isn't much.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

I use PFPX, and I've never found it to have much of a learning curve. I suppose it all depends on what you want to get out of it. If you're happy with Simbrief, then I wouldn't bother getting PFPX if you don't intend on utilising the extra features it offers.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Honestly, I might have gotten off on the wrong foot with PFPX.  I was trying to get a flight plan from KEWR to EGLL...something I figured it would be good at.  It kept giving me errors with flight plans that it created.  I finally ended up going to Simbrief, getting a flight plan and pasting it in.  I was so frustrated by that whole scenario.  I'd imagine it would do better with domestic routes.  I still keep it around in case I want to try it again. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I was trying to get a flight plan from KEWR to EGLL...something I figured it would be good at. It kept giving me errors with flight plans that it created.

no issues  with me  etops   took  abit  of  time  but  overhaul  took about  5  or  so minutes  from start to finish

ATC ROUTE: N0477F370 PORTT3 PARKE J6 SAX DCT GLYDE DCT WITCH DCT

ALLEX/N0478F390 N323A ELSIR DCT 50N050W/M084F390 52N040W 53N030W DCT

MALOT/N0485F390 DCT GISTI DCT SLANY UL9 STU UP2 OKESI P2 BEDEK OCK2F

Peter kelberg