Sign in to follow this  
patcal

Getting flying again-widescreen

Hi all,

I have been out of touch not flying for awhile.  My question is, I have always used a 4:3 ratio monitor using only 2D panels for my flying.  4:3 monitors  have gone the way of the Dodo.  I now have a HP 2509m.  Some of my planes have OK widescreens but some like DA Fokker & Aeroworx B200 do not.  When I try to fly in 3D, I get a lot of vertical tearing when I pan. I have FSX Steam but the lack of 2D panels is a problem.  Just looking for some thoughts on this.  Thanks.

Pat Callaghan

Pat Callaghan
AMD FX-8350 4.0ghz. Asus M5A97 MB
16gig Crucial DDR3 ram, Radeon HD-7970 Video
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

I'm not very knowledgeable, technology wise, when it comes to graphics cards but I do remember solving a tearing problem once by synchronising my frame rates to the refresh rate of my monitor.

Dijvid

I'm not very knowledgeable, technology wise, when it comes to graphics cards but I do remember solving a tearing problem once by synchronising my frame rates to the refresh rate of my monitor.

Dijvid

Yes, vsync or something similar will fix this issue. By the way, there are 2d cockpits in FSX:SE, the option is in Settings.

I do not have FSX:SE running very well.  Crashes a lot & very poor frame rates.  Plus all my addons are for FS2004.  I updated my computer in July in hopes of running FSX better but it has not helped much.  AMD FX8350 with Radeon HD 7970 video & 16gigs of ram with Win7 64bit.

Pat

Pat Callaghan
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Maybe I will just pull out my old Dell 19" 4:3 & use it. Not nearly as good as my HP but lot less hassle.

Pat Callaghan
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

In the [Main] section in fsx.cfg, check that you have a line that says "DisablePreload=1". This enables vsync.

Should fix the screen tearing. But if your framerates are poor, you'll get more stutters instead of tearing.

Vsync is really only good for when you can sustain framerates above your monitors refresh rate, usually 60.

At least with nVidia cards, you can also use 1/2 refresh rate, thus only requiring 30 fps to look smooth.

I'm not familiar with the AMD graphic card drivers, but if possible, check that Vsync is enabled there too.

For widescreen, what I do is this:

- If screen ratio is 16:9 (1366x768,1920x1080 are common resolutions in 16:9), I multiply all the zoom factors in panel.cfg by 0.75. If screen ratio is 16:10 (ex.: 1280x800,1440x900),multiply by 0.8333.

- Then, you need to recalculate and edit all the lines that say window_size. For windows that used to take full screen, it's easy: using the 16:9 case (the most common these days), all window_size lines for these windows end up being 0.75, 1.00. For smaller windows,you need to figure the math but, if you have some good knowledge of panel.cfg files, you may be able to solve this.

- There will be some black space at both sides of the main panel. Usually I push them to the right (position=2,5 or 8 are good for this) and in the left I leave either the MCDU/FMC or the throttle panel.

I'll check if I have some examples that I'm allowed to release and, if so, I'll let you know.

It's a hassle to do with each panel, but as soon as it's done

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF1PVEVdQDo

This in  FS9 has a 15:9 screen format

But you're the developer!!! You "simply*" had to build the panel from scratch :wink:

*as if doing a panel was so simple...

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

But you're the developer!!! You "simply*" had to build the panel from scratch :wink:

*as if doing a panel was so simple...

Well, I had to add bits left and right so that the panel wasn't "stretched". And yes I certainly added functionality to the whole model. Up from 140 gauges in DM's original to more than 700 now.

Think I am just going back to my 19" 4:3 monitor.  Thanks for all the advice.

Pat

Pat Callaghan
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Think I am just going back to my 19" 4:3 monitor.  Thanks for all the advice.

Pat

I still use a 21" 4:3 1600x1200. IMO it is the best ratio for 2D panels. I'm even thinking of buying another one in case mine fails........ before they really do all disappear. :sad:  

Just figured out how to get a custom resolution. I rolled back to older Catalyst drivers & used a program called "Radeon custom resolution manager". After clicking on gpu scaling in Radeon settings I got this. Whohoo! Time to get flying. Thanks all.

Pat

sioU7on.jpg

• Upvote 1

Pat Callaghan
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit