Sign in to follow this  
clayton1975

GPS Left Alert

Hello everyone.

So far I have only made 2 flights with this incredible product. On both flights appeared the yellow GPS LEFT alert. I did not find anything in the QRH on this alert.

Am I doing something wrong in aligning the IRS?

Thanks

Clayton Araujo

I had this once as well, but there was nothing listed on the failures page. The rest of the flight was fine, as obviously there are multiple nav sources, and it has not shown again.

I keep getting this error message on every flight, no failures or maintenance service are programmed either. Anyone got an ideas how to clear it?

Regards

Gary

That is pretty funny because we keep getting GPS messages and SPLIT IRS messages that are intermittent in the real 747-8 simulator that seem to be tied to repositioning a lot. They have little luck in trying to isolate the problem.

In the PMDG 747-400, I have not seen this problem. Is it intermittent or a steady failure? Just a thought, you could try to go to POS REF p2 and inhibit the GPS NAV, and then ENABLE it again and see if that does anything.

In addition to what Captain_Al says, are you loading a saved panel state? I suspect that since the message appears on every flight you may have a bad/corrupt panel state.

G'day Clayton...

I had a similar issue around the time of release.

Advice from support in response to the ticket I raised was that a reinstall was required (which fixed the problem for me).

hth.

Hi guy's,

Many thanks for your inputs. The GPS Left fault is a steady fault. Whenever I load the aircraft and select via the FMC the cold and dark panel load state I have the issue. I am not using a saved scenario on any of the flights. I will try a Long Load panel state to see if anything changes, failing that I will do a reinstall.

Will keep you posted

Thanks & Regards

Gary Hanson

5 hours ago, Gazguzzler said:

failing that I will do a reinstall.

Before you do a uninstall/reinstall run the installer and select the repair option. See if that corrects your issue.

Update; I do not get the GPS Left fault when loading the Long Load panel state from the FMC, if I load the cold and dark state I have the fault every time. I will try the installer repair option first.

Regards

Gary Hanson 

On 4/15/2017 at 9:05 AM, Gazguzzler said:

Whenever I load the aircraft and select via the FMC the cold and dark panel load state I have the issue.

I'm willing to bet that it's more of a matter of your procedure, which means that a repair/reinstall will only waste time.

What is your power-up procedure?

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle,

You were spot on with your bet, many thanks :biggrin:

I have just followed the FCOM SP.6.1 procedure for powering up the electrical system from a cold and dark state then continued onto NP.21.1 for the pre-flight procedures and I didn't get the GPS Left fault. I am not sure if I have previously tried to align the IRS system (left to Nav, right to Nav, centre to Nav) before setting the standby power to auto?? 

I also started up the APU before turning on the IRS system to Nav but I don't think that would have a bearing on generating the fault if APU is left off until after alignment (correct me if I'm wrong)?.

Cheers

Gary Hanson

16 minutes ago, Gazguzzler said:

I also started up the APU before turning on the IRS system to Nav but I don't think that would have a bearing on generating the fault if APU is left off until after alignment (correct me if I'm wrong)?.

All that matters is that you have power through the whole procedure. I make it a habit to only swap one side at a time when I'm changing sources. e.g. If I'm going from GPU to APU, I click on APU L, confirm it changes over, and then click on APU R. I do the same thing when going from the engine GENs to the APU after landing.

Kyle Rodgers