Sign in to follow this  
tamsini

How's this for bonehead of the year?

Peter, I am not here to start a war. All I am saying is mistakes happen and there should be a way to undo that mistake in a simple manner.

But, you can be sure that next time I will give it my 100% attention.

Mario Di Lauro

All I am saying is mistakes happen and there should be a way to undo that mistake in a simple manner.

Point  taken,   but mistakes  do happen  but  least rex  has  given  you plenty of  warnings  on where   to install  their  addons  least  3  ways   so i guess  you have  to ignore  them.  You  have  to ask  rex staff on how  easy  it  is  to change  their  coding once  you have  installed  it  in the wrong folder  guess  its  harder  than  you think.  Would have  been  wise   to ask in the  rex  forum  might  have  save  some  hardache,  anyways  hope  that  you get  it  sorted  without  too much issues, besides  you wouldn' t be  the first one  to  learn the hard  way

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

This ridiculous uninstall procedure, or lack thereof, will pretty much wipe out your OS. Sorry but I think this is pretty shabby coding.

Not true, rather this is the location we default to in the first place.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Oh I dunno a friend of mine logged a ticker with a well know publisher about a new aircraft they bought, not only did they tell him the stock answer of "reinstall windows and p3d" they also told him to buy a new motherboard....priceless

Lol please tell who this was

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

I have no issues with the way Rex tells you how to install. But just imagine, as someone pointed out earlier, that you have a lapse of concentration and do install it in the root of C:. Mistakes do happen, Rex.

Hi Mario,

With all due respect, did you read post #10?

Regards,

Mike

Allow me to add this to the mix...

Installers (for every type of program, flight sim or not) sometimes don't do a good job of telling you whether or not the installer will create a program folder within the target directory, or install directly into a target directory.

When I select "Directory" for My New Program, it can sometimes be a crapshoot as to whether or not you will end up with...

C:\Directory\My New Program\files files files

-or-

C:\Directory\files files files

And it goes the other way too - sometimes when I create a new directory for My New Program, I might end up with...

C:\Directory\My New Program\My New Program\files files files

...because they didn't say they would create a new subdir.

It is an imperfect science, but we manage.

If you'll excuse me, one of my storage drives just started clicking to high heaven in my computer case (*quite literally). I think I just lost a drive.  But, like I said, we manage. :)

-Greg

Hi, I've never used Rex products so I don't have a dog in this fight (but, I have been in similar situations regarding install location), but I'm thinking if something like this can happen when uninstalling, perhaps developers should not use the words "recommended" or "suggested" and just say "MUST be installed in 'xyz' location in order for the program to run correctly", including the uninstall function. The end user usually doesn't know what the ramifications are for installing in a different location than the recommended one and just assumes it will still work.  If he DID know then he often would NEVER stray from what the developer recommended, such as in this case.

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

C:\Directory\My New Program\files files files

-or-

C:\Directory\files files files

And that would pretty much solve the problem for installs/uninstalls. If the coder could assure that the software name gets added into the target folder, then uninstalling everything in this newly created folder would not be a problem.

But, as Greg says, we'll manage and learn from our silly mistakes.

Mario Di Lauro

perhaps developers should not use the words "recommended" or "suggested" and just say "MUST be installed in 'xyz' location in order for the program to run correctly", including the uninstall function.

An easier way would be the same as EZCA v2 whereby it installs in the programfiles x86/ directory whether you want it to or not. No choice. According to the dev it has to go into that folder and so there is no option to change it.

Not true, rather this is the location we default to in the first place.

Tim   if  a user  doesn"t  select  a location  on  rex installation it  would  install it  in the default  location being  outside  of the fsx  root  drive.  Since  wonder  why  the op   said  he  didnt  select  any   location and  allowed  rex  to install it  which is the issue  here.  So unless the op  mistakenly installed  the addon in the  fsx  root drive is  the question

An easier way would be the same as EZCA v2 whereby it installs in the programfiles x86/ directory whether you want it to or not. No choice. According to the dev it has to go into that folder and so there is no option to change it.

thats  what  reed  has  said  it  will install the addon in the default  location unless told  other  wise

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

thats  what  reed  has  said  it  will install the addon in the default  location unless told  other  wise

From memory EZCA does not give you an option so you can't change the install dir even if you wanted to

they also told him to buy a new motherboard....priceless

Bit OTT

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

From memory EZCA does not give you an option so you can't change the install dir even if you wanted to

That's right. I don't use it anymore, but i remember this. There was allways some problem with it, becouse of Program Files (x86) security settings. I moved it manualy from "C:\Program Files (x86)" to another location of my choice, re-run the config tool and manualy edited exe.xml. After that, Ezca was more responsive and hangings / crashes were gone

Yep true,  but  what i was  referring  to if  you  dont  select  what folder  rex  to  install to,  it  will  install  in the default  location  not  in the fsx  or  what ever  sim  root drive you have.

Peter kelberg

The posts are all over the place. Locked.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10