Rhinozherous

AVSIMs "Whats new" and own Posts section?

Recommended Posts

I loved the old windows on top of the forum, where we could see the last 10 or 15 new topics and the last 5 or so topics we have made a post to.

Will they come back in the future? 

Thanks!

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

10 minutes ago, Rhinozherous said:

I loved the old windows on top of the forum, where we could see the last 10 or 15 new topics and the last 5 or so topics we have made a post to.

Will they come back in the future? 

Thanks!

+1

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been discussed several times.  It may come back but the site is still being upgraded.  What's wrong with clicking on and reading "unread content" in which you can set what is displayed and what is not displayed?  Please give us some time to complete the upgrade (at 91.7% complete on rebuilding posts then images, media, and other objects must be rebuilt).  The upgrade is working in the background so you can read and reply to posts.

Best regards,

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

This has been discussed several times.  It may come back but the site is still being upgraded.  What's wrong with clicking on and reading "unread content" in which you can set what is displayed and what is not displayed?  Please give us some time to complete the upgrade (at 91.7% complete on rebuilding posts then images, media, and other objects must be rebuilt).  The upgrade is working in the background so you can read and reply to posts.

Best regards,

Jim

The problem on my side is not all my posts are present when I select ownership for posts I've posted in.  The threads are still there just not associated with my account.  Also there is no way to automatically refresh the page once you set a filter.  The URL changes at the top to reflect the changes you want  to make but I have to go and actually select the URL and press Enter.  Maybe this is a limitation in Chrome idk.  And since the update I have posted in a lot more than two threads but thats all that is showing up also.

33195925835_65aacdbe3d_o.png

32813331490_ce8cea588b_o.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

The threads are still there just not associated with my account.  Also there is no way to automatically refresh the page once you set a filter.

Once you select 'content I have posted in', you hit the F5 key to refresh and it should provide you all of the posts. 

7 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

Maybe this is a limitation in Chrome idk.

This site is the latest and greatest of all websites and is being upgraded to handle all of the latest browsers and technology being used to view websites.  Before the upgrade we were getting compatibility problems.  I think our last version was dated in 2009 when the site was rebuilt after the unsuccessful attempt to destroy AVSIM. 

When the site is fully upgraded, we will then be looking at the capabilities the update provides.  I personally think the OP's request can be accomplished but we are not going to mess with that until later.

Best regards,

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Once you select 'content I have posted in', you hit the F5 key to refresh and it should provide you all of the posts. 

This site is the latest and greatest of all websites and is being upgraded to handle all of the latest browsers and technology being used to view websites.  Before the upgrade we were getting compatibility problems.  I think our last version was dated in 2009 when the site was rebuilt after the unsuccessful attempt to destroy AVSIM. 

When the site is fully upgraded, we will then be looking at the capabilities the update provides.  I personally think the OP's request can be accomplished but we are not going to mess with that until later.

Best regards,

Jim

1) Maybe instead of having to hit refresh maybe a "Apply Filters" Button.  As the refresh button is not working correctly with selections.  I make all my selections and press 'F5' and only one correction is made to the selections.

2) The filter it still missing posts I have made even as recent as a few days ago and certainly not all the posts I have made in all the threads like it should.  I set the Filter to Read Status to Everything and then Ownership to What I posted in and it only goes back 6 days after I selected Load More Activity.  Now at the bottom it says "There's no more activity to display"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

then Ownership to What I posted in and it only goes back 6 days after I selected Load More Activity

Our upgrade started about six days ago.  Maybe that's the reason.

Best regards,

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with the OP, hope it gets added back in, that is what I would check each day and it was a really nice feature.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2017 at 5:45 PM, thibodba57 said:

The filter it still missing posts I have made even as recent as a few days ago and certainly not all the posts I have made in all the threads like it should.  I set the Filter to Read Status to Everything and then Ownership to What I posted in and it only goes back 6 days after I selected Load More Activity.  Now at the bottom it says "There's no more activity to display"

I agree with the OP too. 

I do want to mention that if I go to my profile (far upper right) then there is a button in the lower right corner of the large black header box that says "See my activity".  This is giving me many, perhaps all, of my old posts going back to 2011.

Also just noted I can see some or all topics I started by clicking on "Topics" on the left.  Not sure if any are missing but I don't start many new topics so it's probably complete.

Mike

Edited by Mike777
additional information
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

I agree with the OP too. 

I do want to mention that if I go to my profile (far upper right) then there is a button in the lower right corner of the large black header box that says "See my activity".  This is giving me many, perhaps all, of my old posts going back to 2011.

Mike

That works, but is every post rather than organized by every thread like it used to be.  But definitely a step in the right direction, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, on the former forum, whenever I clicked on a thread it took me to where I left off.  Now when I click on a thread, it brings me back to the first post.  Is there a setting to modify this behavior?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

Also, on the former forum, whenever I clicked on a thread it took me to where I left off.  Now when I click on a thread, it brings me back to the first post.  Is there a setting to modify this behavior?

On the Unread Content page there is a blue dot next to the topic name.  In fact it took me right to your post just now!  Also the new notification of your post in "Notifications" by my profile took me right here.

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

On the Unread Content page there is a blue dot next to the topic name. 

Perfect.  This is what I was looking for.  Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Greggy_D said:

Perfect.  This is what I was looking for.  Thank you.

That "little blue dot" has been there for at least the past six years or thereabouts... :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But I never had to click on the "little blue dot" before.  I could simply click on the thread title and it would take me back to where I left off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MartinRex007 said:

Agree with the OP, hope it gets added back in, that is what I would check each day and it was a really nice feature.

Thanks!

+++1

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2017 at 4:05 PM, Rhinozherous said:

I loved the old windows on top of the forum, where we could see the last 10 or 15 new topics and the last 5 or so topics we have made a post to.

Will they come back in the future? 

Thanks!

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was indeed convenient to have it all in one place right at the top of the page; no filters or extra clicks, a quick reference when loading the page.  I'm finding myself not spending as much time on the forums without it.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree really miss this feature used all the time please bring back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like others here I miss the efficiency of the old forum software when reading the Avsim forums. However, as Jim has explained, the new software needs time to completely update and then the staff needs time to learn, experiment with, and implement the new features. Until all that occurs, I have found a satisfactory work around with the help of other Avsim forum members.

Go to the "unread content" section and set up the options that you desire. Then save this page as a bookmark in your browser. You can set up different bookmarks for topics you have participated in, latest topics, etc.

After I log in to Avsim, I just click on the bookmark of what I want presented.

I generally visit Avsim once a day so I have one bookmark set to show me all the topics within the last 24 hours. When I see a topic I want to read I do not select it, but rather right click on it and open the topic in a new tab. I skim though the last 24 hours this way and open all the topics of interest in a new tab. I find this a lot quicker than waiting for the forum software to reload the list of topics after I have read one by only selecting it.

This is not as efficient as the page design of the old forum software but certainly workable for me during this transition period to a fully functional and optimized new forum software.

Ted

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2017 at 3:43 PM, Ted Striker said:

This is not as efficient as the page design of the old forum software but certainly workable for me during this transition period to a fully functional and optimized new forum software.

Seems to me that this is not a transition period and the site is what it is and what is going to be, shame.

Cheers, Ed

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, edpatino said:

Seems to me that this is not a transition period and the site is what it is and what is going to be, shame.

 

Jim or Chase said in another thread that they would try and bring back the "What's New" and "Threads you've started" sections if they could but they need to let the new software fully install and the database rebuild itself first before they start changing things. I remember when the last forum software was installed we did not have those sections from the beginning, they came awhile later. I no nothing about forum software but I imagine updating it is like getting a new version of windows: You immediately find out what you've lost and it takes awhile to figure out how to access the functions that you liked from the previous version. We'll just have to wait and see.

Ted

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now