Sign in to follow this  
x-plane 123

X-Plane 11 b14 is out

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones here.  I've had zero issues with the new beta release.  I performed a short flight from KSFO to KSBP, passing through cloudy conditions with no issues with the solid fog layer, in fact, the clouds looked a whole lot better than they ever have.  Below are images taken from the flight.  Sorry for the really small size, this 4k screen is outputting really large images that I can't upload without shrinking down.

Anywho, the fps has improved a little more, which is another great improvement, considering the update to the clouds.  It should be noted, this flight was with the default C172SP and default weather, downloaded in the sim, with default clouds.

Cessna_172SP_71.png
Cessna_172SP_72.png
Cessna_172SP_782ac30.jpg

• Upvote 3

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

6 hours ago, Jimm said:

I guess this is as good a time as any to say, I told you so. :)

I am really glad I held off buying an external weather add-on.  Those clouds look a whole lot better now, I just hope they fixed that solid fog layer I kept hitting before. 

Not to be overly blunt, but it's silly to buy third-party add-ons for beta software.

Just now, Mountain Man said:

Not to be overly blunt, but it's silly to buy third-party add-ons for beta software.

I'm glad you said it and not me. lol

I was extremely tempted, with everyone's screenshots and claims of great improvements, to grab X-Enviro or SMP v4, but I stuck it out, thinking that LR would get to the cloud issue in due time.  Right now with this new release, I have exceptional clouds (compared to the older betas and even XP10).  As for default aircraft performance, I'll hold off with "complaints" about it's handling on the ground, but in the air, it's perfectly fine.  I'll file a bug report about the erratic behavior on the ground, but I honestly am impressed with the improvements.  My dinky laptop does exceptionally well with XP11. :cool:

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

22 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

I will slightly disagree with that. :happy: At least for these weather plugins.

For someone like me who already owned the previous versions of SkyMaxx Pro, the update to v4 aimed at XP11 support was just $20, with a free update to the Real Weather Connector (which I also had). That was a no-brainer.

XEnviro is the new kid on the block, only the second commercial weather package we've ever seen for X-Plane. Because poor weather is one of my pet peeves with X-Plane, I'm willing to try ANYTHING that's a different take on it. Doesn't matter the cost. I'm glad I bought XEnviro to see what they're doing, even if the lack of manual adjustment means I may end up not using it. Not sure about that yet. There are a bunch of graphics glitches in the current version and they're waiting for a final XP11 to release the next version, so maybe between the current adjustments to wind and cloud ceiling I'll still prefer it. I dunno. It's an option, and I like options.

People like me who buy weather plugins also help establish a market for those plugins. If ya'll want REX to join the party, they might be looking at who is actually willing to pay for alternatives instead of just settling for default weather.

That said, ultimately Laminar needs to do better with the underlying weather engine, so we can have full 3D weather and realistic thunderstorms with vertical convection instead of just eye candy add-ons. But we're not getting that with the 1.0 version of XP11. So I'm waiting to see how that turns out. Meanwhile, I have three choices -- default XP11 weather, SkyMaxx, and XEnviro to choose from. All three will undergo continuing development over the next couple of years. I would rather have these options to track and choose from, than just having one option with the vanilla sim.

Your mileage (and available finances) may vary. I can certainly understand opting for the default weather now that it's looking a lot better!

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Cessna 172 now starts moving without demanding high rpm.
But I have difficulties in maintaining the correct trajectory on the runway, on the takeoff and landing.
It is as if asphalt is very smooth, it has tendencies to one side then a minimum correction and it will completely again to the other side.
Any ideas for softening this?
I do not use pedals, just MS Sidwinder Precison 2.
Thank you.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

So far no problems with pb 14 in the sim itself, however Planemaker will not run. After opening if you click on any thing to change anything Planemaker immediately closes with an error message from Windows. I tried Plane maker with X-Plane running and with out having X-Plane running, did a complete cold reboot and still had the same problem with Planemaker. filed a bug report. could others try Planemaker?

Planemaker is broken and crashes for everyone in pb14, it seems. Crashes for me too. I expect a hot fix for that pretty soon.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

3 hours ago, Murmur said:

I reduced cloud textures resolution and converted them to .dds. They could improve performance in some cases. Remember to delete the original .png cloud textures if you use these:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5fyJwRhjar5NVhmcXpfRUVpN28

Many thanks Murmur!

And yes, Planemaker is crashing.

This version doesn't start you off at the same airport you first started at. After ending a flight from KLAX to KOXN I closed X-Plane, the next time I started I was still at Oxnard instead of Los Angeles.

I like that better than always starting from the same place.

I'm having some odd visual artifacts with the new clouds.  Everything is vanilla pb14 (except my planes, the Ortho4xp scenery and a few scenery addons, but the anomalies happen with default aircraft too).  nvidia GTX970 here - anyone else seeing this?  Something to do with the bottoms of clouds and or fog/mist.  Looks quite nasty at night.  I'll report as a bug unless it could just be me.

visualfog2.jpg

visualfog5.jpg

visualfog7night.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Water operations are still broken and useless in XP11 B14.  IF..you can land...once upon the water, you can't generate more than 30 knots even into the wind (at full throttle) for take off with the default amphib. I have Visual Effects now at medium. Also, wakes are now white blocks, and broken as well.

Post Edit: Found the wave heights under weather.  Put them to zero.  Started a water roll...and could not generate more than 27 knots.  Could not take off off of water...no rotation speed obtained.  Frankly, this sucks. Water operations are a big thing to my flight simming.

9 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

I disagree! 

I've been using all sorts of 3rd party addons both free and paid from day 1 and haven't missed out on any of the action-I prefer that to waiting on the sidelines waiting for something that may or may not happen.

Besides I'm supporting developers of freeware  and payware who are making this sim better for me.

Interesting,  xEnviro has over Toronto, clear blue sky.

This shot is the in-house real weather....   Interesting...overcast vs xEnviro's CAVOK

Cessna_172_SP_seaplane_3.png

Going back to XP10.51   XP11 (even beta) is not ready for prime time, lol.

Just landed in the Eclipse v2.0.   With the tweaked tire contact settings, now...I landed at 145 knots.  I applied max brake.  I not only skidded all over the runway...no wind...no cross wind...but ended up 1,000 feet beyond the runway, into a suburb. No braking effect upon the aircraft...tire/runway.

I'll sit out, until they figure XP11 out...  plane too fast a roll from standing, next beta, plane hardly moves with full throttle, next beta, plane skids off of runway, and ends up in the boonies....max brake.

Water craft can't generate over 30 knots to rotate, upon water.

Blah, blah.....

• Upvote 1