Recommended Posts

I tried out Better Sky with pb15 - looks good. Have removed X Enviro just so that the install is clean. Short video below. Parts are a bit stuttery as I had XP on pause in the background, replay mode on and Fraps running which overloaded the systems somewhat. But I think it gives a good example. I really like the result. 

The cloud settings were 2 layers of scattered cumulus and one layer of cirrus. I like having control back of my flying conditions. 

Have put link to Better Sky below.

cheers

Peter

 

 

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/115476-xp-11-better-sky-released/

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I did the same, I removed xEnviro as I want to choose my own weather, so for the money I paid for this addon, it turned out I only used it a few times. On XP10 I only ever fly in clear weather because neither SMP v4 or xEnviro will activate or run.

Pretty impressed with PB15 out of the box, the new clouds are a good improvement, and the only modification I now use are the sky colours. However the glowing trees and strange lighting on buildings are still holding me back from using XP11 as my main sim (While it doesn't bother others, it really bothers me).

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CaptCWGAllen said:

I tried out Better Sky with pb15 - looks good. Have removed X Enviro just so that the install is clean. Short video below. Parts are a bit stuttery as I had XP on pause in the background, replay mode on and Fraps running which overloaded the systems somewhat. But I think it gives a good example. I really like the result. 

The cloud settings were 2 layers of scattered cumulus and one layer of cirrus. I like having control back of my flying conditions. 

Have put link to Better Sky below.

cheers

Peter

 

 

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/115476-xp-11-better-sky-released/

Tried this...and still think there is nothing out there for XPlane that compares with the sky render complexity and variation, that xEnviro 1.6 gives, to date:  Good to have choices, though'

KTOL this morning, breaking Dawn:  xEnviro 1.6

Cirrus_SF50_2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd used bettersky previous to PB14, and found it to be a great alternative "fix" for the default clouds issue in XP11, but now with the revamp of the cloud rendering and visual changes, I ditched it in favor of using the default clouds in XP, and with a couple of simple and small Lua script rendering adjustments, I see better volumetric cloud generation now than before.  As far as cost vs. performance/offerings, Bettersky is a good option, if you need to weak the weather more to your own personal liking.  If you just need basic weather generation with improved cloud rendering, stick with default because I foresee more adjustments and improvements coming soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope someone can figure out how to make sky colors that look similar to xEnviro being as the XPL 11 default clouds now look very nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pugilist2 said:

Hope someone can figure out how to make sky colors that look similar to xEnviro being as the XPL 11 default clouds now look very nice.

There exists a healthy discussion over at the org as well as here about that subject.  Murmur posted some good sky replacement maps you can download that do help a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2017 at 11:20 AM, Sesquashtoo said:

...and still think there is nothing out there for XPlane that compares with the sky render complexity and variation, that xEnviro 1.6 gives, to date:  Good to have choices, though'

I agree, it has produced some amazing looking, and highly acurate weather, but its also great to have choice.

I'm curious why people are removing xEnviro, when you can just deactivate it. It cannot affect anything just being there can it?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Novation said:

I agree, it has produced some amazing looking, and highly acurate weather, but its also great to have choice.

I'm curious why people are removing xEnviro, when you can just deactivate it. It cannot affect anything just being there can it?

All you have to do, is pull the xEnviro 1.6 folder out of the Plugin, and place it upon your Desktop.  When you want it back in the mix, you need to pull the BetterSky.lua script out of the Script Folder within Lua.  That's all you have to do...ying, or yang.  A person wants xEnviro back....they just plop the entire folder back into the Plugin Folder, and remove the BetterSky.lua script onto the Desktop.  Das all, folks...

One can cycle them back and forth to their heart's content....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sesquashtoo said:

....they just plop the entire folder back into the Plugin Folder, and remove the BetterSky.lua script onto the Desktop.  Das all, folks...

lua has plug-in management where you can tick on/off any plug-ins, and you can also turn xEnviro off from its own menu, hence I was wondering why the need to remove, or move it at all.

I wondered if it could still pose come conflict? I've not seen any problem in simply turning it off, but maybe there are with other plug-ins; I've not tried BetterSky for instance.

Anyway, its great we now have better weather options with the new default clouds. Ok they do sometimes look like a mat of fleece, but most of the time they are now very passable, great even.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Novation said:

lua has plug-in management where you can tick on/off any plug-ins, and you can also turn xEnviro off from its own menu, hence I was wondering why the need to remove, or move it at all.

I wondered if it could still pose come conflict? I've not seen any problem in simply turning it off, but maybe there are with other plug-ins; I've not tried BetterSky for instance.

I don't know for sure that it could cause a conflict just by deactivating, but it does default to "on" when X-Plane boots up, grabbing complete control of the weather system until you deactivate it. SkyMaxx Pro does the same thing. Because I've been experimenting with both Xenviro and SkyMaxx along with default weather, it just seemed safer to move those folders out of /plugins when not using them. That way I'm 100% sure there are no conflicts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

All you have to do, is pull the xEnviro 1.6 folder out of the Plugin, and place it upon your Desktop.  When you want it back in the mix, you need to pull the BetterSky.lua script out of the Script Folder within Lua.  That's all you have to do...ying, or yang.  A person wants xEnviro back....they just plop the entire folder back into the Plugin Folder, and remove the BetterSky.lua script onto the Desktop.  Das all, folks...

One can cycle them back and forth to their heart's content....

To deactivate a plugin without much of a hassle just go into the "E:\X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\xEnviro\64\" and rename the win.xpl to winxpl. This works for all the plugins.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now