Sign in to follow this  
Bob650

Cheyenne Coming Soon?

22 hours ago, JesC said:

The DA Cheyenne is also a great hand flyer with a very natural feel. Something similar to the RealAir Dukes.

You could probably drop the DA air file into the Carenado airplane if the Carenado FDE doesn't measure up.  I've done this on several planes...not just Carenado.  You might, also, have to look at some entries in the aircraft.cfg to get it working right. 

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

If you want to exchange the FDE it's most important that you copy all the relevant parts from the cfg file as well.

The aircraft.cfg file is the part where most of the problems/error occur when swapping the FDE.  

• Upvote 1

Hi Folks,

Hah - man you have me intrigued now...

I've dabbled with FDE's and Air Wrench but never produced anything I was happy with...

"If" the Carenado FDE isn't up to par and "if" we could seamlessly swap the FDE with the DA one - that would be a dream come true...

Side note: Looks like they included that dang Avadyne in yet another plane - the gauge isn't of much use, is not very good, and I've found it to be a frame rate hog... I wish they would dump it and add the REX Wx Radar... 

Great thread folks...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I will stay with the DA cheyenne over the pretty eye candy max res texture carenado one.... The most important reason for this. The PT6 model of DA over all the PT6 unrealistic model. 

On the other hand i am waiting for the 690B with Javelin slippers tanks. Im a commander family pilot and a lover of commander models and ted smith planes. My worst fear? The TPE 331 of carenado. But we will see.....

Redgars

RB

8 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

I've dabbled with FDE's and Air Wrench but never produced anything I was happy with...

"If" the Carenado FDE isn't up to par and "if" we could seamlessly swap the FDE with the DA one - that would be a dream come true...

Side note: Looks like they included that dang Avadyne in yet another plane - the gauge isn't of much use, is not very good, and I've found it to be a frame rate hog... I wish they would dump it and add the REX Wx Radar... 

Great thread folks...

Regards,
Scott

I always switch out the Avadyne's for the GTN650.  Makes for a great combo having the GTN750 and 650 side by side.

On 3/28/2017 at 10:47 AM, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

Great thread folks...

Regards,
Scott

Out of dozens and dozens of airplanes in my simulator (P3D), the only air file I haven't changed is the DA Cheyenne.  It is the standard by which I modify everything else to fly like actual airplanes.  So much of the FDE solution relies on what hardware you have.  I was fortunate enough to find a Precision Flight Controls setup on eBay for about 20% of what a new one costs.  It is light years ahead of the CH's, Saiteks, and even Thrustmasters.  All of my aircraft have been tuned to that hardware, so I don't know how they would fly using something else.

Anyway, I have swapped out the relevant FDE parts from the DA to the Carenado Cheyenne and arrived at an FDE I like.  I have plenty or real world Navajo time, but haven't flown the Cheyenne.  My turboprop time is primarily King Air so I can't speak for simulator fidelity with the Cheyenne.  But, like the DA Cheyenne, it behaves like an actual aircraft not the ultra pitch sensitive typical Carenado FDE.  If you would like to try it, send me a PM with your email address. 

Hi Whamil,

LOL - you're really going to make me buy this - aren't you ??? OK - I'm in - Carenado can chalk this sale up to your work... Yep - largest plane I've flown is a Duchess - so no turbine time for comparison - the DA FDE is truly a work of art as it just feels like flying and it's on the top of my list for best ever FDE - even when comparing it to modern A2A stuff... I love the Cheyenne - this kind offer is too good to pass up...

PM outbound...

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Looking at the DA Cheyenne, it looks really nice.  What is this aircraft offering that you want to have it as well?  Just curious what you Cheyenners are thinking.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Gregg, for me only the integration of the GTN 750, but you're right it probably will never be as nice a plane to fly as the DA Cheyenne which is one of the nicest planes in my hanger. It's just that the Trimble 2000 AP is a challenge to use by today's standard, but it is nice to have a few planes in the hanger that still have their original avionics.

Cheers

Martin

3 hours ago, MartinRex007 said:

Gregg, for me only the integration of the GTN 750, but you're right it probably will never be as nice a plane to fly as the DA Cheyenne which is one of the nicest planes in my hanger. It's just that the Trimble 2000 AP is a challenge to use by today's standard, but it is nice to have a few planes in the hanger that still have their original avionics.

Cheers

Martin

I'm curious from those that change out the .air file for the one from DA, if the ITT behavior carries over to the Carenado.  My guess is that it won't...that it's built into the DA gauge.  From what I see, I kind of doubt I'd get the Carenado.  I have the Turbine Duke so I can get my "flies like a rocket" fix.

Gregg Seipp

Carenado PA31T & FSX Turboprop ITT Behavior

Gregg,

I swapped the DA Cheyenne .air file to the Carenado Cheyenne and took it up to FL260. As expected, it didn't work with the ITTs dropping off dramatically with altitude. I recently read it is more complicated than simply swapping .air files.

26 minutes ago, LDP1949 said:

Carenado PA31T & FSX Turboprop ITT Behavior

Gregg,

I swapped the DA Cheyenne .air file to the Carenado Cheyenne and took it up to FL260. As expected, it didn't work with the ITTs dropping off dramatically with altitude. I recently read it is more complicated than simply swapping .air files.

Yeah, not surprised.  I think the only way to work around the FSX/P3D bug is to make the gauge show a different ITT than that being given by the FSX/P3D FDE.  The Carenado ITT gauge doesn't contain that logic.

Gregg Seipp

On 3/28/2017 at 11:30 AM, RobertBernardK said:

On the other hand i am waiting for the 690B with Javelin slippers tanks. Im a commander family pilot and a lover of commander models and ted smith planes. My worst fear? The TPE 331 of carenado. But we will see.....

I'm 100% sure it will be the same.  That's just what Carenado does.  My advice would be to set your expectations accordingly.

I spent a couple days tweaking the Alabeo C441 to the point where I was able to improve a few things with the Garrett operation, but there are a lot of barriers.  Basically, they're just using the default FSX PT6 FDE, but they've given the prop governors a huge range of operation such that you can control the governor RPM with the throttles at idle.  I tweaked the FDE and wrote some custom gauge code to set some of FSX's controls automatically (i.e. setting the default condition levers) in a way that improved the situation, but there were some things that just couldn't be un-done.  I was able to make the start spool-up take a reasonable amount of time and improve the ground handling quite a bit, but things that appear un-fixable are reverse operation (RPM running up very high with the slightest touch of reverse...even the PMDG J41 has this issue), and RPM indicating 0 prior to light-off.

I should be able to port over these tweaks to the 690B when it's release, but again.  It's not realistic or ideal... but it is usable.

Just now, C525B said:

I'm 100% sure it will be the same.  That's just what Carenado does.  My advice would be to set your expectations accordingly.

I spent a couple days tweaking the Alabeo C441 to the point where I was able to improve a few things with the Garrett operation, but there are a lot of barriers.  Basically, they're just using the default FSX PT6 FDE, but they've given the prop governors a huge range of operation such that you can control the governor RPM with the throttles at idle.  I tweaked the FDE and wrote some custom gauge code to set some of FSX's controls automatically (i.e. setting the default condition levers) in a way that improved the situation, but there were some things that just couldn't be un-done.  I was able to make the start spool-up take a reasonable amount of time and improve the ground handling quite a bit, but things that appear un-fixable are reverse operation (RPM running up very high with the slightest touch of reverse...even the PMDG J41 has this issue), and RPM indicating 0 prior to light-off.

I should be able to port over these tweaks to the 690B when it's release, but again.  It's not realistic or ideal... but it is usable.

So....  Thanks for take your time to make the alabeo carenado garrett  more usable...  Thats is valuable.  Have you tried to look the code or the behavior of the donier garrett?  Can be the same as the 441? 

For sure i hope and i count with your work to make the garrett on the 690B better. 

Regards

17 hours ago, RobertBernardK said:

So....  Thanks for take your time to make the alabeo carenado garrett  more usable...  Thats is valuable.  Have you tried to look the code or the behavior of the donier garrett?  Can be the same as the 441?

I assume it is the same, but I don't have the Do228.  I can describe what needs to be done, if someone over on that forum has a working knowledge of XML gauges, FDEs & .air files.