Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Helicopters: The J e s u s Nut

I don't know if this has been posted before, but the song is quite amusing.

NOTA BENE: for those who do not know, the "J e s u s  N u t" is without question the single most critical part on any helicopter, as it holds the entire main rotor together. Without it, the blades would go flying off and the rest would crash to the ground!

I had to space the actual name so the silly forum nanny software wouldn't censor it... :dry:

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

When did the word ******* become a swear word?

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

I don't know if this has been posted before, but the song is quite amusing.

NOTA BENE: for those who do not know, the "J e s u s  N u t" is without question the single most critical part on any helicopter, as it holds the entire main rotor together. Without it, the blades would go flying off and the rest would crash to the ground!

I had to space the actual name so the silly forum nanny software wouldn't censor it... :dry:

My dad had a similar phrase for the C-Clip, comes in many sizes, but is shaped in such a way to keep certain parts together.  His reason for the name was due to taking the clip off the wrong way and it would go flying, knowing darn well you'd never find it again, hence the exclamation J E S U S! :biggrin:

Yup, I posted the same vid the other day, but it's still fun to see it again. The thought occurred to me that if your name happens to actually be J e s u s (not unknown, in South American countries in particular), how's that gonna work in the PMDG forum where they want your full name on posts lol?

• Upvote 1

I posted a vid of a Raptor 50 RC heli losing its main rotor in the same thread :D 

2 hours ago, n4gix said:

Without it, the blades would go flying off and the rest would crash to the ground

Bill,

We called it the "Jes*s Nut" when I was in Army Aviation in SE Asia.  Technically it is not a nut, but a threaded cap that sets atop the mast and holds the rotor head in place. :smile:

blaustern

(Who has 2,000 hours in UH-1s in SE Asia)

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 3:35 PM, Bluestar said:

Bill,

We called it the "Jes*s Nut" when I was in Army Aviation in SE Asia.  Technically it is not a nut, but a threaded cap that sets atop the mast and holds the rotor head in place. :smile:

blaustern

(Who has 2,000 hours in UH-1s in SE Asia)

On the Robinson it actually is a "sort of" nut, with what looks like gear teeth. There is a locking slug with two teeth that engage with the nut's gear teeth. The bolts holding the locking slug are then torqued properly and secured with safety wire.

What is more unusual is that the J E S U S  N U T is not torqued down at all. It is just finger tightened before locking down with the slug.

v3Jmd.jpg

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:51 PM, Chock said:

The thought occurred to me that if your name happens to actually be J e s u s (not unknown, in South American countries in particular), how's that gonna work in the PMDG forum where they want your full name on posts lol?

That's an interesting question. I suppose he'd have to spell it phonetically as "Hay-soos"... :uwe_melk: