Dougal

Any HAMs here on Avsim?

Just wondering if there are any hams on the board?

I've always felt the two hobbies have much in common

Regards

Mike Six India Tango Juliet;)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

No, but I do have 21 years as a telegraphist in the RAAF.  Now long since retired.

Tony Chilcott

I ask as my main sim computer is down and out for repair, so gonna need to fill my hours with something different for a while. Need to get my antennas much higher of the deck for any serious dx work though.

Keep as ear out for me guys, M6ITJ

10 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

No, but I do have 21 years as a telegraphist in the RAAF.  Now long since retired.

Tony Chilcott

Hi Tony

I was radop for our little squad for a short while, but nothing like you did. Can't say I miss that though. Bloody kit was always either wet or full of red des sand. Sometimes both!

Dougal,

I fear pursuit of this is going to be off topic but......

Most of the things I don't miss are going on bivouac, although once on an exercise in outback Queensand in OZ, I was put in charge of the field library???? and communications was handled by a radio technician.  Neither of us had any experience whatsoever in these trades but it was interesting from several points of view. Most of my time was spent on shiftwork in Communications Centres or remote radio comms establishments.  Strangely after nearly 30 years away from the RAAF I still miss the Service life.

OP though is looking for comms with other hams and I am not equipped for that. I wish him well and a speedy fix for his computer.

Regards

Tony

Ah, an M0. Where u at?

5 hours ago, Dougal said:

Hi Tony

I was radop for our little squad for a short while, but nothing like you did. Can't say I miss that though. Bloody kit was always either wet or full of red des sand. Sometimes both!

Hi Phil

I passed the RAE in '58 - but never bothered to apply for my call letters - simply because I've been using 'Comms' since that exam - much more exciting than Sunday morning chats...spent a few years in the Merchant Navy - twice around the globe - struggling with the 'echo' coming around the globe meeting the original signal when chatting to other ships/stations. Put me off my keying on occasions...

I listen in regularly using my AOR 8600/Icom IC-R8500/AR8200's. I use long wire/airband yagi/Diamond D130M Discone & assorted whips.

Keep my morse speed up to date using various code software on the PC when I get bored...still got my Eddystone 'bug' key (the original hardware key - not this modern electronic rubbish :biggrin:).

So sorry, can't chat, except on the keyboard....

U got withdrawal symptoms ?

I got several PCs, so I'm never 'offline'. It's an addiction, you know. There is no treatment for our 'affliction'.

Regards
Bill

1 hour ago, BillCusick said:

Hi Phil

I passed the RAE in '58 - but never bothered to apply for my call letters - simply because I've been using 'Comms' since that exam - much more exciting than Sunday morning chats...spent a few years in the Merchant Navy - twice around the globe - struggling with the 'echo' coming around the globe meeting the original signal when chatting to other ships/stations. Put me off my keying on occasions...

I listen in regularly using my AOR 8600/Icom IC-R8500/AR8200's. I use long wire/airband yagi/Diamond D130M Discone & assorted whips.

Keep my morse speed up to date using various code software on the PC when I get bored...still got my Eddystone 'bug' key (the original hardware key - not this modern electronic rubbish :biggrin:).

So sorry, can't chat, except on the keyboard....

U got withdrawal symptoms ?

I got several PCs, so I'm never 'offline'. It's an addiction, you know. There is no treatment for our 'affliction'.

Regards
Bill

Oh I hear you Bill. You're talking my language.

There's several laptops kicking around the house, none of which up to running a flightsim of any description. I'm going elbow my graphics card into an older i7 PC we've also got. I'm sure as s.... it won't run FSX or P3D in any useful way, but I'm going to try it with XPLANE later. It just might stop me twitching and jumping while my simming PC gets the kiss of life;)

17 hours ago, Dougal said:

Just wondering if there are any hams on the board? I've always felt the two hobbies  have much in common

Mike Six India Tango Juliet;)

CQ DX CQ DX CQ DX

NOVEMBER FOUR GOLF INDIA XRAY CALLING CQ DX

I've just last month decided to invest in a shiny new Elecraft KX3, PX3 (Panadapter), and a "Deluxe Buddipole" portable antenna so I can (hopefully) get back into HF DX'ing once more.

Here are some quick pics taken yesterday afternoon. This the first time I set up the Buddipole. It is configured as a vertical "L" and tuned for the 20m band. This Elecraft KX3 is a sweet little QRP rig. I may eventually buy the 100 watt linear should I need more power.

73 de N4GIX

9eFepv.jpg

KIflyc.jpg

Well I'll be.....  small world eh Bill;-)

21 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Well I'll be.....  small world eh Bill;-)

Yep, it sure is. Although I'm surprised that my "screen name" here wasn't pretty much a dead giveaway to my General hamminess.

When I first moved into this house, I had a new FT-847 rig, and set up a Gap Challenger V vertical. I was so disappointed at the horrifically high noise level that I wound up selling the rig and giving the Gap antenna away.

That's why I've decided to work entirely portable from the city park, the lakeshore, or the nearby National Park, so I'm well away from the QRM. I'm literally surrounded by power lines north, south, east and west... RF Hell!

I hope you are well recovered by now. Once I get my feet wet and find the best way to set up the Buddipole for proper tuning on all bands, maybe we can set up a SKED.

KF7NUA :biggrin:

kilo Foxtrot Seven November Uniform Alpha

Hi Phil. I noted when I checked QRZ that you were just recently licensed. Congratulations! I note also that you've 13 confirmed QSO's in your on-line logbook.

I've just passed my thirty-year mark as a General class. If any of my friends were still alive today, they'd tell you that before 1987 I had no class at all... :laugh:

3 hours ago, n4gix said:

Yep, it sure is. Although I'm surprised that my "screen name" here wasn't pretty much a dead giveaway to my General hamminess.

When I first moved into this house, I had a new FT-847 rig, and set up a Gap Challenger V vertical. I was so disappointed at the horrifically high noise level that I wound up selling the rig and giving the Gap antenna away.

That's why I've decided to work entirely portable from the city park, the lakeshore, or the nearby National Park, so I'm well away from the QRM. I'm literally surrounded by power lines north, south, east and west... RF Hell!

I hope you are well recovered by now. Once I get my feet wet and find the best way to set up the Buddipole for proper tuning on all bands, maybe we can set up a SKED.

Don't wish to tempt fate Bill, as I recall saying something similar after the last op a few years ago, but so far, I'm doing better than either myself or my consultant could've hoped for. I've been left with some muscle weekness and tremors in both hands, meaning I can no longer play my guitar, which I miss enormously. But seriously Bill, every day I draw breath is a massive bonus. I was convinced that Tom would outlast me. I'm sure the 'big man' has his reasons and I'll just take all I can get and be grateful on a daily basis.

As for a SKED. I need to get up a decent antenna before getting over the pond. Currently on a homebrew OCF dipole.

Haven't been active for a very long time, but back in the day WA2VNW.  I used to live in an apartment building in Queens that didn't allow outside antennas, so I had a 20 meter dipole strung discretely between wooden dowels at opposite ends of the apartment.  I put them out (usually at night) to go on the air and pulled them in afterward.  As far as I can recall, no-one ever noticed the antenna wire itself. 

Flying complex aircraft simulation does have a certain affinity to operating a Ham Radio station.  And it doesn't hurt, when tuning a VOR, ILS or ADF, to know the Morse Code!

Mike

I'm glad it wasn't just my strange thought processes that joined the dots between flight sim and amateur radio. Thanks to all for responding.

Hey Bill, I think maybe the reason for not joining those dots with your Avsim user name is context. Now it's pointed out out, it's kind of a 'duh of course' moment;)

I gave up on that hobby long ago, about 17 years to be precise.  I still have a couple HTs and a nice little SW to listen a little, but the hobby is all but dead.  I had a lot of personal issues with it anyhow.  It was fun while it lasted though.

17 hours ago, Dougal said:

As for a SKED. I need to get up a decent antenna before getting over the pond. Currently on a homebrew OCF dipole.

I set up my Buddipole yesterday afternoon in my front yard (as you can see from the photo above) and managed to hear some folks on 20m, but didn't try to call anyone. Today is the "Indiana QSO Party" so I'm going to set up again and see if I can make some contacts. :cool:

It's amazing what one can do even with modest antennas and QRP signals.

This past two years though I've been very active on .70 cm DMR. It's not true "DX" of course, but my very first contact was with a bicycle mobile in Durban, SA. My second was with a pedestrian mobile in Wales. My third was with an Austrian gentleman near the summit of one of their mountains. I've had many hours of pleasant conversations with folks from all over the world...

...with a $100 4 watt UHF HT. :biggrin:

Interesting thread. I am DL1GKC and my favourite mode is CW (morse telegraphy). Helped a lot at the beginning to identify the navaids. 😊

Got my radio amateur license when I was a 14 years old boy. Still a fascinating hobby. I had to sell my superb Ultrabeam antennna because I changed the QTH. Now back on doublet.

73 de Chris

KF2DA, active most often on JT65 and other HF digital modes - running QRP (10 watts max).

Operating WSPR mode at just 1 watt to a dipole on 20 meters,  I have been heard in Australia and South Africa several times.

Indeed, this has become an interesting thread. I have ENORMOUS admiration for anyone using QRP.  I just don't have the patience;-)  TBH, as it is I often exceed my ridiculous 10 watt max for a UK Foundation licence. Shhhhhhhh..... don't tell anyone eh;-)

Being also a marine VHF licence holder, I'm aware that a GOOD antenna system is FAR more important than actual output power, even on HF.

I'm currently in the process of building several different antennas to experiment with for DXing, but being unwell means I'm usually severely limited as to how long I can actually spend on this.

G4 WJW, but rarer than rocking horse poo on the bands.  An interesting thread this.  Regards.

M.