Sign in to follow this  
cakeisawesome04

FSX SE Tweaking

You obviosly don't understand!

If you install a vanilla FSX Boxed with SP2 on a 4 core i7 CPU you will see core 1 and 2 loaded almost 100% all the time because it was programmed to take advantage of dual core CPUs (at that time). Here you can insert your Affinity Mask to unload your 1 core and take advantage of physical cores 2-3-4.

FSX:SE already does that. So what do you want to set with your Affinity Mask more then it's already doing?

And again: if you don't believe it try it out!

EDIT: And here a statement from DTG Martin from the DEV's

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/618459405716826071/

where you see that they coded it in...but neeeh...just do it your way and set whatewer you want.

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

4 minutes ago, GEKtheReaper said:

You obviosly don't understand!

If you install a vanilla FSX Boxed with SP2 on a 4 core i7 CPU you will see core 1 and 2 loaded almost 100% all the time because it was programmed to take advantage of dual core CPUs (at that time). Here you can insert your Affinity Mask to unload your 1 core and take advantage of physical cores 2-3-4.

FSX:SE already does that. So what do you want to set with your Affinity Mask more then it's already doing?

And again: if you don't believe it try it out!

There are many more configurations a person might like to set using affinity mask. Also if you have an older computer you might need to set an affinity mask of 14 for PMDG products to prevent freezing even if you do not have a 4 core processor. That is the point of tweaking fsx, because everyone runs a different setup and needs different things. so telling people they do not need to do any adjusting of fsx steam is wrong. Bufferpools set to 0 can help older computers also. This "debate" is over.

28 minutes ago, 777200lrf said:

There are many more configurations a person might like to set using affinity mask. Also if you have an older computer you might need to set an affinity mask of 14 for PMDG products to prevent freezing even if you do not have a 4 core processor. That is the point of tweaking fsx, because everyone runs a different setup and needs different things. so telling people they do not need to do any adjusting of fsx steam is wrong. Bufferpools set to 0 can help older computers also. This "debate" is over.

!You posted before I edited my post where you can find a statement from DTG Martin but...anyway.!

Now...this was a topic opened by @cakeisawesome04. Since you now know he's spec and you seem to know your stuff around tweaks, please don't answer me but him instead. So please do help him to set up he's cfg file correctly so that he can enjoy he's sim.

Best regards.

Gerald K. - Germany

Im sorry @GEKtheReaper, and i respect your opinion, but I believe everyone's system is different and needs different things. I appreciate how you tried to bring the topic back to me at the end. If you have any suggestions to make here or at one my other forums, it would be great. Thank you!:biggrin: Also, i just want to add, I have tried some tweaks I learned from youtube and they seemed to have helped.

• Upvote 1

NP mate! Just another friendly advice on the road: be sure to check your fsx.cfg tweaks under the same premises: e.g. no weather engine but FSX weather themes, no traffic, ... basicaly everything that could change between your tests should be shut down) otherwise you may load on a daytime where less traffic is loaded or clear blue skies instead of overcast (which will kill your FPS again and you will blame your tweaks). Also keep a look at your CPU load through Task Manager: if more then CORE 2 is loaded over 80%, you will have to pull your sliders left again.

As DTG_Aimee says: Keep the blue side up (or something similar...).

Gerald K. - Germany

On 5/8/2017 at 6:39 AM, GEKtheReaper said:

There are NO tweaks for FSX:SE! All tweaks are related just to FSX Boxed. The SE is already tweaked and you will not get even 1 FPS more by trying all that Voodoo.

On 5/9/2017 at 4:33 AM, GEKtheReaper said:

Well then please enlighten me (and all of those who spent hours and hours in testing every single so called tweak, and combination of tweaks, under the same premises). You will even find some devs that have wrote articles / blogs upon the myths of FSX:SE tweaking...

Just stating that someone is wrong (which in fact could be true) does not help anyone reading this topic.

Testing says otherwise.  My 7700k at 5.2GHz hits 67.5 FPS average with bufferpools disabled (i.e. a tweaked config file).  With it enabled (stock config file) average will not go above 48.  This isn't an anomaly of this one machine either, I've tested it using the same graphics card (GTX 1070 @ over 2GHz) on my 5820k machine which runs at 4.4GHz.  FPS average there is almost identical with an untweaked config file, never going over the mid-high 40s.  

In case there's any concern that the additional cores of the 5820k somehow offset the lack of clock speed compared to the 7700k, that is not the case with FSX (or FSX SE, or P3D) as we know the engine which these simulators run upon (ESP) relies primarily on single thread performance.  When I add the bufferpools setting to the config file of this machine the average FPS only goes up to the low 50s.  If you're thinking this is just an FSX anomaly you would also be mistaken, other single-threaded benchmarks such as Cinebench R15 show a 28% difference in performance between these 2 chips at these overclocks.  The 7700k produces a single thread score of 226 in this benchmark whereas the 5820k produces a single thread score of 176.  

2 hours ago, Zatoichi said:

I tried the tweaks and got half the frame rate that the FSX made config would garner.

How did you "try the tweaks"?  What lines did you add to your config file?  Where did you add them?  How did you test?  What were the FPS before and after?  What is your PC configuration?

A whole lot of information you haven't shared.  Sorry for doubting but you have 31 posts here and have just made a very dramatic claim whilst providing no supporting evidence.  

Suffice it to say I have owned and built computers since the 1970s.

I currently have:

i7 @2.4ghz quad core

8 gb DDR3

GTX 780

I get between 40 and 100 fps when flying a carenado hawker 850. 

I addressed every one of the tweaks mentioned in this thread - I added each, one at a time and the net effect was a loss in frame rate. Not one of the tweaks made any noticeable improvement in fps.

Since we have built differing systems many factors could be at play. When was the last time you tweaked services.msc? I have a minimum of things running in the background and I know what each program is.

If it makes you happy to use the tweaks then so be it. In my case they were less than worthless.

Services.msc has to do with the W7 updates, if this uses high CPU and memory then your update software is corrupted and needs to be fixed or switched off completely, if not, no need to do anything about it, not exactly something to do with flight simming but with any software you run on your system.

Herman

18 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Testing says otherwise.  My 7700k at 5.2GHz hits 67.5 FPS average with bufferpools disabled (i.e. a tweaked config file).  With it enabled (stock config file) average will not go above 48.  This isn't an anomaly of this one machine either, I've tested it using the same graphics card (GTX 1070 @ over 2GHz) on my 5820k machine which runs at 4.4GHz.  FPS average there is almost identical with an untweaked config file, never going over the mid-high 40s.  

In case there's any concern that the additional cores of the 5820k somehow offset the lack of clock speed compared to the 7700k, that is not the case with FSX (or FSX SE, or P3D) as we know the engine which these simulators run upon (ESP) relies primarily on single thread performance.  When I add the bufferpools setting to the config file of this machine the average FPS only goes up to the low 50s.  If you're thinking this is just an FSX anomaly you would also be mistaken, other single-threaded benchmarks such as Cinebench R15 show a 28% difference in performance between these 2 chips at these overclocks.  The 7700k produces a single thread score of 226 in this benchmark whereas the 5820k produces a single thread score of 176.  

Hi @TechguyMaxC and thank you for sharing your experience. It's almost unbelievable that you gained 20 FPS, and this on avarage, using some of the tweaks. I tend to believe that there was something else causing this jump.

To clarify something: I'm in my 40`s, studied informatics and my dayly job is driving the future forward (so I'm not a kid trying to get some likes or hearts). I have to admit though, that I have no idea how FSX engine works and therefore decided to test known "tweaks" by my own. You can find my experience here:

If you read it you will see that all the testing has been done on clean OS installations, vanilla FSX:SE, same place, same time, same weather, same settings.... .

On my setup, FSX has it's own 64GB partition (which is also the first partition on my WD Black HDD) and I even formated my partition with a 64K allocation table (following the "FSX Bible"). IMO, you can't get a cleaner test environment then this!

Furthermore you might have noticed that even the framecounter FRAPS had a big influence on the core load.

To summarize it all up: I have not been able to notice any dramatic change in AVG FPS using any of the tweaks (or in combination). I noticed big changes in the CPU CORE load, some changes in smoothness (min/max FPS jumps), some stutters...but again...far from finding the holy grail of FPS increase.

***At this point I will again underline that I'm using FSX:SE. The boxed version is a mess!***

Since you find tons of users reporting tweaking the hell out of FSX:SE and tons of those who state the contrary, given my own test, I decided to take the unbelieving side. Furthermore, you will find developers of addons, shaders, etc. who also don't use that stuff in FSX:SE even though they allow you (through their interface) to easily add some of the tweaking lines to your cfg.

Today my RIG is fully setup with all addons installed and get with a newly build .CFG file, almost the same AVG FPS as with any of the tweaks above. But IMO the test with the fully loaded sim is not relevant because you have many variables which you can't realy control (how much traffic is loaded, how many clouds, are always the same type and amount of clouds loaded, etc.).

It even makes a big deal if you run DX9 or DX10 for testing, with or without the DX10 fixer.

Regards,
Gerald

Gerald K. - Germany

6 hours ago, electricman said:

Services.msc has to do with the W7 updates, if this uses high CPU and memory then your update software is corrupted and needs to be fixed or switched off completely, if not, no need to do anything about it, not exactly something to do with flight simming but with any software you run on your system.

Herman

Not quite.

How to open Windows Services in Windows 10/8/7

At times you may need to open and manage your Windows Services. You may want to stop some service, start it, disable the service, delay its starting up or resume or pause the Windows Service. At such time, the Services Manager, which is a built-in tool in the Windows operating system, will help you. This post will show you how to open your Windows Services, using Services Manager as well as the Command Prompt.

Windows Services are applications that typically start when the computer is booted and run quietly in the background until it is shut down. Strictly speaking, a service is any Windows application that is implemented with the services API, and handles low-level tasks that require little or no user interaction.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/open-windows-services

Sorry I misread it, I talked about services.exe in the task manager, had this problem last year when checking for updates, it took like forever and this services.exe took about 20% cpu power and didn't stop anymore until PC was switched off. Wasn't easy to fix.

Herman

@TechguyMaxCI wanted to edit last post but choose to write another reply since the other post was already too long.

Forgive my Q: Do you own FSX:SE? I will elaborate why I ask this Q...

You see, I'm kind of open minded so I went ahead and read some pages of your shared link to the FSMark. After 5 pages I decided to download the ZIP and have a look at the setup guide. Then I said: Oh DARN...this is all about the boxed version of FSX!

So another 30min and more of my time wasted...

Gerald K. - Germany

On 5/11/2017 at 8:05 PM, Zatoichi said:

Suffice it to say I have owned and built computers since the 1970s.

I currently have:

i7 @2.4ghz quad core

8 gb DDR3

GTX 780

I get between 40 and 100 fps when flying a carenado hawker 850. 

I addressed every one of the tweaks mentioned in this thread - I added each, one at a time and the net effect was a loss in frame rate. Not one of the tweaks made any noticeable improvement in fps.

Since we have built differing systems many factors could be at play. When was the last time you tweaked services.msc? I have a minimum of things running in the background and I know what each program is.

If it makes you happy to use the tweaks then so be it. In my case they were less than worthless.

I asked some very specific questions, which you did not answer.  How did you add the tweaks?  i.e. show us your config file.  If you do it wrong, e.g. place a line in the wrong spot, use the wrong syntax or case, the tweak will not be applied.  Also, your CPU at 2.4GHz isn't going to be fast enough to give you large differences in performance.  You made the statement "Not one of the tweaks made any *noticeable* improvement in FPS" - this statement is quite revealing.  We don't measure objective facts such as framerate by how "noticeable" they are.  There are frame rate measuring utilities which handle this task.  When I say the average FPS increase is 20 on my 7700k system, that is because I tested and measured the increase.  

Also, services have no impact on game/sim performance.  The services which generate threads that would run whilst simming and could have any effect on performance shouldn't be turned off anyway, and the rest of them only run during periods of system idle and only at specific, scheduled times at that.