HI! I have been using FSX SE for awhile now and never really had a problem. I usualy run a solid fps of around 17-25 FPS and was wondering how I could tweak my fsx to be better. My specs are below and I know they are not so good. I know im gonna get told get a better pc but I cant. I am seeking anyone who would like to help in tweaking fsx to be better and basically any advice.

My specs:  

Intel® Core™ i5-6200U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.80 GHz)

Intel® HD Graphics 520

8 GB of RAM    64 bit operating system   

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

12 hours ago, cakeisawesome04 said:

HI! I have been using FSX SE for awhile now and never really had a problem. I usualy run a solid fps of around 17-25 FPS and was wondering how I could tweak my fsx to be better. My specs are below and I know they are not so good. I know im gonna get told get a better pc but I cant. I am seeking anyone who would like to help in tweaking fsx to be better and basically any advice.

My specs:  

Intel® Core™ i5-6200U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.80 GHz)

Intel® HD Graphics 520

8 GB of RAM    64 bit operating system   

Poor video chipset for FSX and a slow CPU, so your best bet is move the graphics sliders in FSX to the left.  Don't worry about the FPS, tune for smoothness.  Slowly increase the graphics settings until you encounter stutters.  That will tell you exactly what your computer is capable of handling.

OK Will DO! Thanks for the advice. I will tell you what the result of doing that will be. Thanks again

..tweak the OS, get read of all the unnecessary Services running in the background ..... getting a better Rig than you are running right now, well, it's a matter of putting sometime to "Scan" Craigslist, nice system with respectively, decent GPU (GTX580 or even better) shouldn't be more than $180-$200 ... I found  i5 3.4GHZ fully functional Rig in the Garbage Bin ...... added 120SSD installed the OS, & using it for my instruments .....

I was running AMD Phenom II X4 975 with R9-280X GPU, for 7 years 30FPS stable, no Hardware problem  ..move your expectations slider to the left a bit, and you will have a great Sim time, for cheap     :-)

Cheers

Yair        

There are NO tweaks for FSX:SE! All tweaks are related just to FSX Boxed. The SE is already tweaked and you will not get even 1 FPS more by trying all that Voodoo.

Thank you all for the replies I greatly appreciate the pc advice bc I am not sure what parts I should buy for my build I will greatly take in mind your suggestions. I will post anymore questions I have!

Also, check out this link on another forum a made because I really need advice for a pc I want to build (also please read the whole forum because the first post i tweaked a bit by changing my mind in some other ones) thankyou!

21 hours ago, GEKtheReaper said:

There are NO tweaks for FSX:SE! All tweaks are related just to FSX Boxed. The SE is already tweaked and you will not get even 1 FPS more by trying all that Voodoo.

You are very wrong.

Well then please enlighten me (and all of those who spent hours and hours in testing every single so called tweak, and combination of tweaks, under the same premises). You will even find some devs that have wrote articles / blogs upon the myths of FSX:SE tweaking...

Just stating that someone is wrong (which in fact could be true) does not help anyone reading this topic.

7 hours ago, GEKtheReaper said:

Well then please enlighten me (and all of those who spent hours and hours in testing every single so called tweak, and combination of tweaks, under the same premises). You will even find some devs that have wrote articles / blogs upon the myths of FSX:SE tweaking...

Just stating that someone is wrong (which in fact could be true) does not help anyone reading this topic.

Affinity mask is the most important to set. There are others like bufferpools depending on if your computer is less powerful you can use poolsize 0. If you use photoscenery you can adjust lod radius higher. There are still many things you can adjust in the steam edition.

1 hour ago, 777200lrf said:

Affinity mask is the most important to set. There are others like bufferpools depending on if your computer is less powerful you can use poolsize 0. If you use photoscenery you can adjust lod radius higher. There are still many things you can adjust in the steam edition.

Seriosly now...sorry to say but you obviously have no idea. AffinityMask is already hard coded into FSX:SE and also the bufferpools. Test it and come back afterwards...Save your cfg, and let FSX:SE create another one by itself.

Fire FSX:SE up and have a look at your CPU load: On a 4 Core CPU + 4 threads, you will see core 2 doing full load and core 3 and 4 helping out. Core 1 stays clear. So what can you do with affinity mask here buddy? Load your 4 threads? It will not work but only add some stutter since FSX core coding is unable to run on threads (only on physical core as it is already running)...

Bufferpools again is already coded. Depending on your hardware (powerful GPU or CPU) you might seem to get better performance using BP=0 but you will load your 1 core at 20-30% and will gain 2..3 FPS and induce stutter again (because of core 1 beeing loaded). Again if you don't believe me try it yourself and have a look at your CPU load.

I was hoping you will bring the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION up... . Well this one realy "boosts" your FPS but will lower your visuals for that (better FPS=blurry textures and viceversa). FSX:SE is already tuned at 0.33 but if you can live with blurry textures, you can try out other values.

Please do some reading and inform yourself about those variables and most important, try them yourself.

6 minutes ago, GEKtheReaper said:

Seriosly now...sorry to say but you obviously have no idea. AffinityMask is already hard coded into FSX:SE and also the bufferpools. Test it and come back afterwards...Save your cfg, and let FSX:SE create another one by itself.

Fire FSX:SE up and have a look at your CPU load: On a 4 Core CPU + 4 threads, you will see core 2 doing full load and core 3 and 4 helping out. Core 1 stays clear. So what can you do with affinity mask here buddy? Load your 4 threads? It will not work but only add some stutter since FSX core coding is unable to run on threads (only on physical core as it is already running)...

Bufferpools again is already coded. Depending on your hardware (powerful GPU or CPU) you might seem to get better performance using BP=0 but you will load your 1 core at 20-30% and will gain 2..3 FPS and induce stutter again (because of core 1 beeing loaded). Again if you don't believe me try it yourself and have a look at your CPU load.

I was hoping you will bring the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION up... . Well this one realy "boosts" your FPS but will lower your visuals for that (better FPS=blurry textures and viceversa). FSX:SE is already tuned at 0.33 but if you can live with blurry textures, you can try out other values.

Please do some reading and inform yourself about those variables and most important, try them yourself.

You should take your own advice. The sim does not "hard code" an affinity mask setting for each cpu. And the bufferpools setting does not work for everyone. I don't know why you have come to a flight sim forum just itching to pick a fight or act like an expert. But you are giving out bad advice and should stop.

You obviosly don't understand!

If you install a vanilla FSX Boxed with SP2 on a 4 core i7 CPU you will see core 1 and 2 loaded almost 100% all the time because it was programmed to take advantage of dual core CPUs (at that time). Here you can insert your Affinity Mask to unload your 1 core and take advantage of physical cores 2-3-4.

FSX:SE already does that. So what do you want to set with your Affinity Mask more then it's already doing?

And again: if you don't believe it try it out!

EDIT: And here a statement from DTG Martin from the DEV's

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/618459405716826071/

where you see that they coded it in...but neeeh...just do it your way and set whatewer you want.

4 minutes ago, GEKtheReaper said:

You obviosly don't understand!

If you install a vanilla FSX Boxed with SP2 on a 4 core i7 CPU you will see core 1 and 2 loaded almost 100% all the time because it was programmed to take advantage of dual core CPUs (at that time). Here you can insert your Affinity Mask to unload your 1 core and take advantage of physical cores 2-3-4.

FSX:SE already does that. So what do you want to set with your Affinity Mask more then it's already doing?

And again: if you don't believe it try it out!

There are many more configurations a person might like to set using affinity mask. Also if you have an older computer you might need to set an affinity mask of 14 for PMDG products to prevent freezing even if you do not have a 4 core processor. That is the point of tweaking fsx, because everyone runs a different setup and needs different things. so telling people they do not need to do any adjusting of fsx steam is wrong. Bufferpools set to 0 can help older computers also. This "debate" is over.

28 minutes ago, 777200lrf said:

There are many more configurations a person might like to set using affinity mask. Also if you have an older computer you might need to set an affinity mask of 14 for PMDG products to prevent freezing even if you do not have a 4 core processor. That is the point of tweaking fsx, because everyone runs a different setup and needs different things. so telling people they do not need to do any adjusting of fsx steam is wrong. Bufferpools set to 0 can help older computers also. This "debate" is over.

!You posted before I edited my post where you can find a statement from DTG Martin but...anyway.!

Now...this was a topic opened by @cakeisawesome04. Since you now know he's spec and you seem to know your stuff around tweaks, please don't answer me but him instead. So please do help him to set up he's cfg file correctly so that he can enjoy he's sim.

Best regards.

Im sorry @GEKtheReaper, and i respect your opinion, but I believe everyone's system is different and needs different things. I appreciate how you tried to bring the topic back to me at the end. If you have any suggestions to make here or at one my other forums, it would be great. Thank you!:biggrin: Also, i just want to add, I have tried some tweaks I learned from youtube and they seemed to have helped.

• Upvote 1

NP mate! Just another friendly advice on the road: be sure to check your fsx.cfg tweaks under the same premises: e.g. no weather engine but FSX weather themes, no traffic, ... basicaly everything that could change between your tests should be shut down) otherwise you may load on a daytime where less traffic is loaded or clear blue skies instead of overcast (which will kill your FPS again and you will blame your tweaks). Also keep a look at your CPU load through Task Manager: if more then CORE 2 is loaded over 80%, you will have to pull your sliders left again.

As DTG_Aimee says: Keep the blue side up (or something similar...).

On 5/8/2017 at 6:39 AM, GEKtheReaper said:

On 5/9/2017 at 4:33 AM, GEKtheReaper said:

Testing says otherwise.  My 7700k at 5.2GHz hits 67.5 FPS average with bufferpools disabled (i.e. a tweaked config file).  With it enabled (stock config file) average will not go above 48.  This isn't an anomaly of this one machine either, I've tested it using the same graphics card (GTX 1070 @ over 2GHz) on my 5820k machine which runs at 4.4GHz.  FPS average there is almost identical with an untweaked config file, never going over the mid-high 40s.  

In case there's any concern that the additional cores of the 5820k somehow offset the lack of clock speed compared to the 7700k, that is not the case with FSX (or FSX SE, or P3D) as we know the engine which these simulators run upon (ESP) relies primarily on single thread performance.  When I add the bufferpools setting to the config file of this machine the average FPS only goes up to the low 50s.  If you're thinking this is just an FSX anomaly you would also be mistaken, other single-threaded benchmarks such as Cinebench R15 show a 28% difference in performance between these 2 chips at these overclocks.  The 7700k produces a single thread score of 226 in this benchmark whereas the 5820k produces a single thread score of 176.  

I tried the tweaks and got half the frame rate that the FSX made config would garner.

2 hours ago, Zatoichi said:

I tried the tweaks and got half the frame rate that the FSX made config would garner.

How did you "try the tweaks"?  What lines did you add to your config file?  Where did you add them?  How did you test?  What were the FPS before and after?  What is your PC configuration?

A whole lot of information you haven't shared.  Sorry for doubting but you have 31 posts here and have just made a very dramatic claim whilst providing no supporting evidence.  

Suffice it to say I have owned and built computers since the 1970s.

I currently have:

i7 @2.4ghz quad core

8 gb DDR3

GTX 780

I get between 40 and 100 fps when flying a carenado hawker 850. 

I addressed every one of the tweaks mentioned in this thread - I added each, one at a time and the net effect was a loss in frame rate. Not one of the tweaks made any noticeable improvement in fps.

Since we have built differing systems many factors could be at play. When was the last time you tweaked services.msc? I have a minimum of things running in the background and I know what each program is.

If it makes you happy to use the tweaks then so be it. In my case they were less than worthless.

Services.msc has to do with the W7 updates, if this uses high CPU and memory then your update software is corrupted and needs to be fixed or switched off completely, if not, no need to do anything about it, not exactly something to do with flight simming but with any software you run on your system.

Herman