Sign in to follow this  
Heimi

Recap DTG Twitch Stream

I to will buy it on Thursday iv`e paid more on an add-on for FS, and the only way to push DTG into delivering on the future improvements is to use it.

Ray Fry. 

• Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

10 hours ago, vololiberista said:

That means a company like PMDG would sell on their own site a product for £100 and on steam for FSW their price would have to be £208 in order to not lose any profit!!

That means PMDG doesn´t have to worry. 

Dovetail has a different business model, as long as they bring me a good FSim, I don´t care about the details. 

• Upvote 2

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

10 hours ago, ca_metal said:

That means PMDG doesn´t have to worry. 

Dovetail has a different business model, as long as they bring me a good FSim, I don´t care about the details. 

In theory yes. But I'm certain DTG would object at the same product being sold on steam for twice the price! It rather defeats the object.

I don't know for sure but I would be surprised if DTG had a contractual obligation with Valve to have to sell all their products on steam. If they sold FSW outside Steam then that would solve the issue completely. They are unlikely to do that as they are clearly money grabbing.

47 minutes ago, vololiberista said:

clearly money grabbing

It's a little unfair to be so judgemental...all commercial developers do it mostly for the money, and good for them - we want their products.

DCS have a more extreme model - they GIVE AWAY DCS World for free, all of their income is from DLC - and we don't consider that a bad thing.

Interestingly you can get DCS DLC from their own web-site and from Steam, originally you could use keys from either to activate the modules on the other.
Then Steam stopped accepting DCS-purchased keys :mellow:
Now DCS are stopping accepting Steam-purchased keys :ohmy:
Not sure that bodes well...

Cheers
Keith

Edited by keithb77
smileys
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, vololiberista said:

In theory yes. But I'm certain DTG would object at the same product being sold on steam for twice the price! It rather defeats the object.

I don't know for sure but I would be surprised if DTG had a contractual obligation with Valve to have to sell all their products on steam. If they sold FSW outside Steam then that would solve the issue completely. They are unlikely to do that as they are clearly money grabbing.

Right. Because PMDG (or any other addon developer) is doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.

There is not a single reason to NOT sell on Steam. It's the platform that saved pc gaming. It has 10 million daily active users. It offers an easy way to backup, restore and save not only the game itself, but also control options, graphic options (via Steam Cloud). It offers an overlay to more easily take screenshots and even share live streamings, talk to your friends, a big forum, create groups too. It offers an easy way for people to install games and DLCs too, without having to search for DVDs, cdkeys, being worried about said DVDs getting damaged too. And more importantly in regard of their Flight Sim, it might offer the "Workshop" feature to download more easily community made content.

• Upvote 5

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

46 minutes ago, france89 said:

Right. Because PMDG (or any other addon developer) is doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.

There is not a single reason to NOT sell on Steam. It's the platform that saved pc gaming. It has 10 million daily active users. It offers an easy way to backup, restore and save not only the game itself, but also control options, graphic options (via Steam Cloud). It offers an overlay to more easily take screenshots and even share live streamings, talk to your friends, a big forum, create groups too. It offers an easy way for people to install games and DLCs too, without having to search for DVDs, cdkeys, being worried about said DVDs getting damaged too. And more importantly in regard of their Flight Sim, it might offer the "Workshop" feature to download more easily community made content.

I'm not questioning whterh steam itself is a bad thing. But the figures that have been banded about will not work with the likes of PMDG. They don't want to sell their product with an effective 60% discount from their point of view.

1 hour ago, vololiberista said:

I'm not questioning whterh steam itself is a bad thing. But the figures that have been banded about will not work with the likes of PMDG. They don't want to sell their product with an effective 60% discount from their point of view.

It's their choise and their view.

DTG is not stopping them from selling their product as usual from their site, nor it is stopping their existing fanbase to keep on buying their products on their site.

• Upvote 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

17 hours ago, vololiberista said:

If they sold FSW outside Steam then that would solve the issue completely. They are unlikely to do that as they are clearly money grabbing.

For at least the 3,275th time, DTG will allow the same product to be sold via Steam or their own website(s).

So, price it at DTG for $200 and at your own website for $200 with a 30% "coupon discount"... :laugh:

• Upvote 3

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator