Sign in to follow this  
Gibbage

FSW from a 3rd party perspective.

Just now, uncle_adolph said:

So when a developer has his products made available "on our channels" are you also going to make it clear that it is also available direct from that developer?

How do you mean? In terms of negotiating? Marketing? 

Aimee Sanjari

Brand Manager, Dovetail Games

Forum_Pilot_Banner.jpg

Just now, DTG_Aimee said:

That isn't for me to answer, I'm afraid... mainly because I don't know. Details that specific are negotiated through our Third Party team. I can put you in touch if you want? 

Ah, no thank you, it was entirely hypothetical on my part.

Thank you for your response Aimee.

Ian R Tyldesley

Just now, WotanUK said:

Ah, no thank you, it was entirely hypothetical on my part.

Thank you for your response Aimee.

You're welcome. We don't tend to enforce blanket terms for everyone. Every developer's needs are different, which is why we want to talk to everyone individually rather than posting comprehensive business propositions on forums. 

Aimee Sanjari

Forum_Pilot_Banner.jpg

5 minutes ago, uncle_adolph said:

So when a developer has his products made available "on our channels" are you also going to make it clear that it is also available direct from that developer?

Sigh... I really try to to avoid being confrontational around here (most of the time :biggrin:)... but that is really a pretty dumb question.

1 hour ago, DTG_Aimee said:

The Third Party team is responsible for negotiating terms, etc, with developers and getting their add-ons Steam ready. Additionally, they also handle the process of putting the content through Quality Assurance and liaising with 3PPs to solve any technical issues which arise. 

There is no private club. If you look at our Steam library, there is a range of add-ons from big development companies to one man operations. We don't operate on an exclusionary basis and we certainly don't seek to cut anybody out. 

Hi Aimee;

thanks very much for your input and you are doing your job very well.

You might not know feel free to say i do not know or whatever you like;

you say there is no private club; how is than possible that some developers are already developing add on  for Fsw while other developers do not even know if an Sdk will even be available to them ?

17 minutes ago, DTG_Aimee said:

How do you mean? In terms of negotiating? Marketing? 

If you are selling an add-on through Steam as DLC, for example, would the blurb on the store page state it could also be purchased direct from the developer's own web site?

And thanks for the comment, MadDog. Clearly not everyone is as clever as you.

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

1 minute ago, uncle_adolph said:

If you are selling an add-on through Steam as DLC, for example, would the blurb on the store page state it could also be purchased direct from the developer's own web site?

No, because our marketing team doesn't market for other companies :happy:  Outside of marketing agencies, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a company who does! That being said, we have done some great stuff in conjunction with 3PPs to promote their stuff on Steam. Other benefits include marketing, QA, customer support, etc. 

• Upvote 2

Aimee Sanjari

Forum_Pilot_Banner.jpg

11 minutes ago, arsenal82 said:

You might not know feel free to say i do not know or whatever you like;

you say there is no private club; how is than possible that some developers are already developing add on  for Fsw while other developers do not even know if an Sdk will even be available to them ?

Those developers who are developing for FSW now are the ones who are talking to us. We want to help people take the best advantage of this new platform as much as possible. In order for us to help devs do that, communication is essential. We aren't asking anyone to sign their soul (or money) away. We aren't imposing strict limitations or trying to monopolize anything. We just want to have a conversation. 

• Upvote 2

Aimee Sanjari

Forum_Pilot_Banner.jpg

1 minute ago, DTG_Aimee said:

Those developers who are developing for FSW now are the ones who are talking to us. We want to help people take the best advantage of this new platform as much as possible. In order for us to help devs do that, communication is essential. We aren't asking anyone to sign their soul (or money) away. We aren't imposing strict limitations or trying to monopolize anything. We just want to have a conversation. 

Thanks Aimee

have a good day

The same as FSX;SE you can buy on steam or from the developers.

Ray Fry.

• Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Hi Aimee,

So will the SDK be available to everyone or just to partner developers?  How would freeware developers get there "foot in the door" otherwise?  Will a version of the SDK be available in early access?

Just now, MadDog said:

So will the SDK be available to everyone or just to partner developers?  How would freeware developers get there "foot in the door" otherwise?  Will a version of the SDK be available in early access?

We definitely want people developing freeware for us, which is why we made our mission creation tool to everyone :happy:

We don't have a firm line for the distribution of the SDK for freeware just yet, but it is on our minds. One way or another you guys are going to get to create freeware content, but as I said before, it's early days. As soon as I know, you'll know!

• Upvote 4

Aimee Sanjari

Forum_Pilot_Banner.jpg

8 minutes ago, DTG_Aimee said:

As soon as I know, you'll know!

Fair Enough!  Thanks for the response.

If I'm reading this right, and I'm probably not :laugh:, I'm getting the impression that DTG wants to be this deeply involved with third party devs for a couple of reasons.

1. Working closely with the devs to helps them take advantage of FSW's features
  2. Working closely with the devs to ensure we, as customers, are getting a quality product (I've been burned a couple of times by 3rd party purchases)
  3. Providing customers a convenient and safe way to purchase 3rd party addons
  4. Giving devs a convenient and safe way to provide their creations to the customers on a wide scale
  5. Making money for themselves from addons by providing 1,2, 3, and 4

If a 3rd party dev doesn't want to participate because of whatever limitations or restrictions or whatever you want to call them DTG decides to impose, then so be it. In a free market world, that just leaves the door open for someone else to walk in and fill the need.

I just hope the addons are reasonably priced. When I look at the addons for FSX:SE and some of the price tags I shake my head. And not just in the Steam DLC. I'm talking about the prices for some of these addons everywhere. I seriously have to consider how much entertainment I'm going to get for my dollar and decide to live without that particular addon.

Maybe that's just me.

As usual, always thankful that DTG made FSX playable for me once again and I'll be on the sidelines following FSW with great interest cheering them on in hopes that when it comes out of EA  they will have sufficiently wooed me with all the new cool stuff and I will by then, have a rig capable of running it and I can make the switch!

Happy landings,

Barry

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, BEARlyThereCDN said:
  • Working closely with the devs to helps them take advantage of FSW's features
  • Working closely with the devs to ensure we, as customers, are getting a quality product (I've been burned a couple of times by 3rd party purchases)
  • Providing customers a convenient and safe way to purchase 3rd party addons
  • Giving devs a convenient and safe way to provide their creations to the customers on a wide scale
  • Making money for themselves from addons by providing 1,2, 3, and 4

Bingo! Thank you @BEARlyThereCDN :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Aimee Sanjari

Forum_Pilot_Banner.jpg