Sign in to follow this  
Gibbage

FSW from a 3rd party perspective.

TBH, DTG, I'm all for the buying from a single platform - Steam or whatever...

I just created my Steam account for MS FLIGHT. Then, latter, I bought again FSX through it, and even IL-2 CloD... and Aerofly FS 2.

DCS and IL.2 BoS I buy directly from the respective stores, but FSW is going to be a native Steam simulator, so, I won't mind buying all of my add-ons for it through Steam.

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

10 hours ago, Gibbage said:

You do know that investors invest billions daily on nothing more than speculation, right?  Its all we have right now.  

They got those billions by speculating as little as possible. It's kind of a sport on this forum. I say kind of a sport, because there's no penalty for being wrong, and most of what gets said turns out to be. 

1 hour ago, DTG_Aimee said:

This is not the case, as we repeatedly have stated :happy:

Our baseline is that you can sell on your own store, which means all the simmers who have been buying from you the past ten years can continue to do so. We ask that you also make your add-ons available on our channels, but we are not limiting the places you can sell. If you have any questions or wish to discuss things further, please contact our Third Party team. 

Thanks,

Aimee

Good day Aimee;

just out of curiosity; what exactly is the function of the 'Third Party Team' ?

I reckon there are quite few people  currently do make addons and sold at various shops; one of the question that has never been answered despite being asked many times is 'What is the criteria' you follow to sell addons into Steam workshop ?

Can any dev sell addons on your Steam workshop ?  How exactly do you go by ?  or is a private club that will cut out those who are actually not part of it ?

It will be good to hear from you.

22 minutes ago, arsenal82 said:

Good day Aimee;

just out of curiosity; what exactly is the function of the 'Third Party Team' ?

I reckon there are quite few people  currently do make addons and sold at various shops; one of the question that has never been answered despite being asked many times is 'What is the criteria' you follow to sell addons into Steam workshop ?

Can any dev sell addons on your Steam workshop ?  How exactly do you go by ?  or is a private club that will cut out those who are actually not part of it ?

It will be good to hear from you.

The Third Party team is responsible for negotiating terms, etc, with developers and getting their add-ons Steam ready. Additionally, they also handle the process of putting the content through Quality Assurance and liaising with 3PPs to solve any technical issues which arise. 

There is no private club. If you look at our Steam library, there is a range of add-ons from big development companies to one man operations. We don't operate on an exclusionary basis and we certainly don't seek to cut anybody out. 

• Upvote 2

Aimee Sanjari

Brand Manager, Dovetail Games

Forum_Pilot_Banner.jpg

29 minutes ago, arsenal82 said:

'What is the criteria' you follow to sell addons into Steam workshop ?

We don't currently have Steam workshop up and running - that will come later in the Early Access process! Once the functionality is in there we will have more information as everyone who has the sim will be able to use it (initially it will work for flight plans and missions) 

• Upvote 1

Aimee Sanjari

Forum_Pilot_Banner.jpg

Hi Aimée. Thank you very much for your exhaustive answers.
Can you tell us anything conclusive about freeware? I read something about this, but, as usual, it is hard to tell real information from speculation.

Which will be DTG policy regarding developers who offer their products and creations for free?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Filippo Nesi

3 minutes ago, barrel_owl said:

Which will be DTG policy regarding developers who offer their products and creations for free?

We are giving everyone a Pro Mission creator so they can make freeware and share it with everyone else. Granted mission content makes up a minority of the freeware space, but it's a start. We haven't quite gotten to the other bits yet (this is Early Access after all) but as soon as we have more information we will share it around. 

• Upvote 2

Aimee Sanjari

Forum_Pilot_Banner.jpg

27 minutes ago, DTG_Aimee said:

The Third Party team is responsible for negotiating terms, etc, with developers and getting their add-ons Steam ready. Additionally, they also handle the process of putting the content through Quality Assurance and liaising with 3PPs to solve any technical issues which arise. 

There is no private club. If you look at our Steam library, there is a range of add-ons from big development companies to one man operations. We don't operate on an exclusionary basis and we certainly don't seek to cut anybody out. 

I've been trying to reach Dovetail 3rd party head for almost a year now with no response whatsoever. To be honest this doesn't sit well with me. In the meantime, I've seen various non-dev folks with early access copies, while virtually every developer I know is in the dark about FSW and its intentions regarding 3rd party development, SDK and any sort of positive reason why we should support FSW as a developer. 

If you guys are intentionally going the MS Flight route and keeping 3rd party devs as spectators, I'd say great work so far. If you are intending to have developers enrich FSW, then Simon.. or whoever is heading 3rd party management needs to reaching out to us (or respond to his emails)

• Upvote 4

Just now, Mir // Flightbeam said:

If you guys are intentionally going the MS Flight route and keeping 3rd party devs as spectators, I'd say great work so far. If you are intending to have developers enrich FSW, then Simon.. or whoever is heading 3rd party management needs to reaching out to us (or respond to his emails)

I'm sorry that you haven't been responded to. If you could please message me your details, I will make sure someone gets back to you!

• Upvote 4

Aimee Sanjari

Forum_Pilot_Banner.jpg

1 minute ago, DTG_Aimee said:

I'm sorry that you haven't been responded to. If you could please message me your details, I will make sure someone gets back to you!

This is a more promising approach from DTG.   Perhaps you should have been in charge from the beginning Aimee? :p  (Chickens nor even eggs counted yet)

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

6 minutes ago, DTG_Aimee said:

PMDG also hasn't been responded to since they refused to sell their products on Steam since months ago. Can you address that to them.

Júnior Silva

Just now, JSilva said:

PMDG also hasn't been responded to since they refused to sell their products on Steam since months ago. Can you address that to them.

They are more than welcome to get in touch - we would love to have a conversation about bringing their add-ons to Flight Sim World! 

Aimee Sanjari

Forum_Pilot_Banner.jpg

May I ask a question Aimee, i of course understand if you are unable to answer?

If i develop an Add on you have made it very clear that needs to be available through your channel.  Can i charge a higher price on your channel than through my own store or do they have to be the same?

Thanks

Ian R Tyldesley

Just now, WotanUK said:

May I ask a question Aimee, i of course understand if you are unable to answer?

If i develop an Add on you have made it very clear that needs to be available through your channel.  Can i charge a higher price on your channel than through my own store or do they have to be the same?

That isn't for me to answer, I'm afraid... mainly because I don't know. Details that specific are negotiated through our Third Party team. I can put you in touch if you want? 

Aimee Sanjari

Forum_Pilot_Banner.jpg

2 hours ago, DTG_Aimee said:

Our baseline is that you can sell on your own store, which means all the simmers who have been buying from you the past ten years can continue to do so. We ask that you also make your add-ons available on our channels, but we are not limiting the places you can sell.

So when a developer has his products made available "on our channels" are you also going to make it clear that it is also available direct from that developer?

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton