Sign in to follow this  
ComSimPilot

V4 Expectations

P3D v4 needs to maintain win7 compatibility, as that's where most of the market is. However, I'm all for optimising it for Win10 - that's the future.

Whilst I'm sure some proprietrary hardware doesn't work at present with win 10, it's a good, stable OS for flight simulation. I run Prosim with a diverse range of cockpit hardware, and have been very pleased with compatibility and performance since I upgraded to Microsoft's current OS. 

Edited by OzWhitey

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

The return of prodigal sons from XP11 to P4D is expected. Hallelujah!

Gennadiy

5 hours ago, Avidean said:

Id like sloped runways. IT shouldn't be difficult to do since you can basically land anywhere in the sim so long as there are no obstetrical. It would probably cause problems for current airport addons but new addons could be designed with realistic runways

Avidean, if you've got an obstetrical problem onboard and the stews are refusing to do the delivery, I'd advise just landing wherever - sloped runway, flat runway, doesn't matter. Messy business, takes forever to clean up afterwards, so best it happens somewhere that's not on your aircraft.

😊

Edited by OzWhitey
  • Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

P3D v4 needs to maintain win7 compatibility, as that's where most of the market is. However, I'm all for optimising it for Win10 - that's the future.

That´s where the Windows-market is but not where the P3D market is. P3D Users crying for modern technologies, that needs a modern OS.
If they really rewrite the P3D 3D engine from scratch and still do that on the basis of DX11 (which is already 8 years old technology like Win7 is)... that just makes no sense. That would really be strange...

• Upvote 3

This has been up so many times by now but people really need to dare let go of the past in order to be able to move forward...

• Upvote 2

Richard Åsberg

Typical human reaction, resistance to change.. Definitely agree that in the days of FSX, Windows 7 was the best performing operating system and was the easiest to use.

That is not true anymore. With the advances P3D has been making the newer operating system has been giving me far better performance and also better VAS management especially after the recent Creators Update.

As for the hardware issues, like someone else mentioned, it's upto the hardware manufacturers to release updated drivers for their products, not upto LM to decide if it should be optimized for Win 7 so that your old hardware created by lazy devs who don't udpate their drivers can work. :)

I don't have a ton of hardware but everything I have works perfectly. If you are having issues best take it up with the hardware manufacturer.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, RancidViper said:

Typical human reaction, resistance to change.. Definitely agree that in the days of FSX, Windows 7 was the best performing operating system and was the easiest to use.

That is not true anymore. With the advances P3D has been making the newer operating system has been giving me far better performance and also better VAS management especially after the recent Creators Update.

As for the hardware issues, like someone else mentioned, it's upto the hardware manufacturers to release updated drivers for their products, not upto LM to decide if it should be optimized for Win 7 so that your old hardware created by lazy devs who don't udpate their drivers can work. :)

I don't have a ton of hardware but everything I have works perfectly. If you are having issues best take it up with the hardware manufacturer.

All so very true! 

Richard Åsberg

I expect and hope a good, well-managed/organized update process and quick and responsive support after the release, that is all.Because there will be bugs and problems!

Ahmet Can

I hope we can activate all scenery and not having to activate/deactivate run FTX Vector config tool before every flight. It would be nice to install and forget.

• Upvote 2

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

2 hours ago, Daedalus said:

I hope we can activate all scenery and not having to activate/deactivate run FTX Vector config tool before every flight. It would be nice to install and forget.

It´s not P3D´s fault if 3rd party developers build addons with conflicting mesh/terrain-elevation...

8 minutes ago, Schlotterknie said:

It´s not P3D´s fault if 3rd party developers build addons with conflicting mesh/terrain-elevation...

Yes, but once you de-activate an installed airport to conserve vas and you activate another airport you need to re-run the FTX Vector tool. Every time I do a flight I activate the airports I'm flying, deactivate the ones I don't from the previous flight and run the FTX tool...boring and time consuming.

If we don't worry about OOMs by overflying installed sceneries, we would run the FTX Vector tool only when installing a new scenery not before every flight.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

P3D v4 is gonna be in 64bit so there will certainly be no more need for odd VAS preserving methods like deactivating scenery.cfg entries before every flight.

Btw. as that upcoming 64bit architecture will naturally use (much) more memory I can already here that grumbling of people moaning about any "bad programing" by LM because memory usage is so much higher with V4. Especially from people now owning 8GB RAM and a 4GB graphics card or even less...

3 minutes ago, Schlotterknie said:

P3D v4 is gonna be in 64bit so there will certainly be no more need for odd VAS preserving methods like deactivating scenery.cfg entries before every flight.

Btw. as that upcoming 64bit architecture will naturally use (much) more memory I can already here that grumbling of people moaning about any "bad programing" by LM because memory usage is so much higher with V4. Especially from people now owning 8GB RAM and a 4GB graphics card or even less...

And many oder PC's like mine only hold 8 GB of ram, so that means a new PC is required. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I wonder what amount of memory will be required not having to worry about what scenery and add-ons you're using?

And how will RAM vs memory on your graphics card play together in a 64-bit simulator? 

Richard Åsberg

10 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

And many oder PC's like mine only hold 8 GB of ram, so that means a new PC is required. 

... or spend some money in another 8GB if your motherboard supports it.

To be honest... 8GB of RAM is already not really contemporary anymore considering memory usage of V3 and all this 3rd party addons and other tools running in the background.
Updating to newer products like V4 is going to be, naturally sometimes requires an hardware-update as well. The other option is to stay with the older software.