Sign in to follow this  
ComSimPilot

V4 Expectations

8 hours ago, WarpD said:

Uh... no.  Since you're not really privy to the details, and I'm not going to go deeper... 

No offence... but uhh ... your initial remark did?

"Win10 doesn't play nice in training sims... issues with hardware, drivers, etc"

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

42 minutes ago, Schlotterknie said:

... or spend some money in another 8GB if your motherboard supports it.

To be honest... 8GB of RAM is already not really contemporary anymore considering memory usage of V3 and all this 3rd party addons and other tools running in the background.
Updating to newer products like V4 is going to be, naturally sometimes requires an hardware-update as well. The other option is to stay with the older software.

Board only supports 8, need new PC, and really don't want to spend the money at this time. On a fairly tight budget. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

17 hours ago, Hoang said:

Overclock it. Get the most out of it and you get a big boost in performance 

The best I can get is a stable 4.8 with water.  What is your cooling method/hardware?

On 5/22/2017 at 8:33 PM, WarpD said:

Win10 doesn't play nice in training sims... issues with hardware, drivers, etc.  If Prepar3D went DX12/Win10 only... they'd lose their primary customer base.

Oops! Worth noting Elaine's new guide says Windows 10 is recommended?  And that it will install under previous OS's as well....

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

On 05/22/2017 at 11:26 AM, Jazzfan said:

No Thank-You! Directx12 means downgrading to win10 from Winner7. That is something many users are not willing to do. 

Maybe in 10 years Microscrap will get their crud in order and build an OS that actually does what it is supposed to, without breaking other software.

As always, just my .02c.

So what your saying is, you would rather hold a new simulator back from current technology? Have you not seen what that's down to the Sims currently available?

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

I really think many people are jumping on the anti W10 bandwagon just because it's popular to do. I resisted for quite a while but eventually setup one of my systems on W10 and have been running happily with NO problems since then. I eventually removed w7 from all my systems.

I'm sure there are some systems that have issues but for me, W10 is a winner as far as flight sims go. The interface to some busniess programs leaves a bit to be desired IMHO however.

If you're backing off of V4 simply because of w10 - I'll say the same to those who wouldn't try P3D V1 - you're going to miss a whole bunch.

Vic

• Upvote 4

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Just now, vgbaron said:

I resisted for quite a while but eventually setup one of my systems on W10 and have been running happily with NO problems since then.

Same here

• Upvote 1

1. Just because the VAS could exceed more than 8GB doesn't mean you need to have more than 8GB actual memory.. It would be nice to have more...but its not absolutely required.. VAS is address space limit (Virtual memory)

2. the Issue of Win 10 not playing nice is mostly for people who use home cockpits. I have  a full stack of Nav Radio that probably would not work since the Vendor of that hardware is not around much to give us udpates. But it we get the benefit DX12, I wouldn't mind chucking some of my hardware and uplifting my home cockpit.

In any case... I am thrilled I wouldn't have to deal with the weakest link currently..which is OOM and that is being solved.

Like someone said, not sure how much optimization has gone into multi core/mutlithread. This is the second most required improvement after 64bit that is required in my books.

Slopped Runway would have been amazing... and I don't believe that is improved in V4. Somethig about AI aircrafts unable to work with slopped runways.   

Not sure if the water has improved any.... probably not. I would like it to have been as good as FSX water. P3D water was a step back from FSX IMO. 

I was expecting we would have to start from scratch since no addons wouldn't work and everything has to be rebuilt from scratch. and I am happy to be wrong on this front... we would have Orbx, PMDG and Real air (2 aircrafts)  and few other airpots... so I am happy camper on this front.

Hopefully we would get a new version of FSUIPC. 

Need that PTA tool to enhance our sky and textures. Hopefully we get that too for P3Dv4

Need the F1 Traffic Live

Need Goflight drivers which I am sure would come in the near future.. I am not worried.

For weather engine I have been managing with ASNext but it looks I have to upgrade to AS 2016

Nigh Environment is compatible with V4 that is simply amazing... But that Chris has been too quiet with  his new night light tools... Come on Chris! We need you buddy!

Need few more things...like EZDOK to work with v4! 

• Upvote 1

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I had forgotten that at the top of my wish list is increased LOD.  I am expecting it because LOD is where all the problems of limited memory come in.  From what I've read my wish has come true and if so I will be ecstatic.  I fly almost always with high res photoscenery and being able to see details far off is what I'd really like to have.  But I've also read that increasing LOD now depends on VRAM, which I've only got 3GB on my 2 GTX 780s.  I'm also reading that SLI may be non-functional at this time.  If that is the case then it's no joy for me until SLI works, and no ecstasy if it does work but I'm stuck with same LOD because VRAM.  GTX 1080s are going for about $500 US now ... hrmmnnn.  Sigh.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, denali said:

I had forgotten that at the top of my wish list is increased LOD.  I am expecting it because LOD is where all the problems of limited memory come in.  From what I've read my wish has come true and if so I will be ecstatic.  I fly almost always with high res photoscenery and being able to see details far off is what I'd really like to have.  But I've also read that increasing LOD now depends on VRAM, which I've only got 3GB on my 2 GTX 780s.  I'm also reading that SLI may be non-functional at this time.  If that is the case then it's no joy for me until SLI works, and no ecstasy if it does work but I'm stuck with same LOD because VRAM.  GTX 1080s are going for about $500 US now ... hrmmnnn.  Sigh.

Yes  I forgot to mention that.. the benefit of 64bit is not just solving the OOM limitation, but increasing the LOD and seeing autogens as far as our eyes could see, when changing views, no more loss of autogens and refresh of textures and blurry textures, hopefully no more black textures and popup of autogens either.

I cant wait for an updated New York city and Miami from Drzewiecki Design

• Upvote 2

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

On 5/22/2017 at 1:40 PM, Bobsk8 said:

Personally I would rather have a root canal than swap my Windows 7 for 10.  

I said the same thing about win 10 until I got it,once you delete all the crapware off of it and turn off pointless services it's a great OS I run classic shell so it looks like 7 but is much faster. As for p3dv4 I'm buying and installing on release day but this is mainly to get grandfathered into the license in case Dovetail wants to try to stop the sale of p3d to individuals,I can see a possible fight brewing as dovetails sim isn't working out well and they won't be happy to see most of their possible customers flock to LM

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

On 5/22/2017 at 11:26 AM, Jazzfan said:

No Thank-You! Directx12 means downgrading to win10 from Winner7. That is something many users are not willing to do. 

Maybe in 10 years Microscrap will get their crud in order and build an OS that actually does what it is supposed to, without breaking other software.

As always, just my .02c.

It's not that bad ! But I don't agree with the spyware ! Win 7 has some spyware too. 

If you ever decide to upgrade to a new cpu you will have no choice but to update to the new Win OS.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I was hoping for slope runways, but seems no.

8 hours ago, denali said:

The best I can get is a stable 4.8 with water.  What is your cooling method/hardware?

Hi,
Sorry I was just answering for him, I only have the 6700k. Besides the cooling method and hardware, the CPU itself plays an important role in the overclocking ability. Not every similar CPU is the same. My 6700k luckily is a pretty good one, I can get 4.5Ghz very easy with very low voltage while others had to use a lot more.

I have been reading reviews, overclocking ability of 7700k and lots of people can get up to 5Ghz good cooling (either air or liquid). The overclock.net forum is where you can go and get some help for overclocking your CPU.

Good luck!
Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

I'm actually very familiar with overclocking.  I'm actually one of the first people here to predict that the 7700k would show much ability to overclock.  I am asking specifically how that was done.  What specific hardware, what specific settings.  My 4.8 has degraded to a 4.5 - 4.6 on my delidded 3770k, but I am certain it's because my pump is weaker and the fins of my radiator need a very good clean-out.  I'm considering getting a 3 fan thermaltake and putting 3 more on for push/pull to see what happens.  

8 hours ago, denali said:

Intel provides OC proof versions of i7-7700k for 5.0 and 5.1 OC, but asking price is higher

• Upvote 1