Sign in to follow this  
Guest DK8290

The Inevitable Burn-Out

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

I knew it was coming, felt it coming on for awhile. FS is still my favorite hobby, but I must step back from it for a bit. I have already contacted the manager at the MCI hub for SWVA (Patrick Hull, heckuva guy), and I'll be stretching the ol' legs for about 3 or 4 weeks. I am NOT finished with FS, by any means, but I will return, unistall FS and then reinstall with only that which I will fly. I have tons upon tons of addons residing on my harddrive that I just don't use. When I finish that, it's time to crack the knuckles and grab the joystick, and that means back in the Avsim forums. Till then, it's breather time. I would like to thank, first of all, Microsoft and the whole FS team, Avsim for the awesome community gathering spot they have created, the mods for keeping it real (thanks for staying on, JohnCi!) and all of my fellow simmers. I WILL be back!Until then, as always, Happy Flying my friends!http://home.earthlink.net/~dawgfighter/sit...es/swvasig1.gif-Jeremy BurchSWVA4806 http://www.virtualswa.com/home.phpThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!

Enjoy your holiday Jeremy! ...I wish I could have one!...my addiction to FS jus' keeps getting stronger!actually what I would like to do is more real world flying. :)

regardsEd

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/edetroit100/edley.gifAMD Athlon 64 3500+, 1024Mb PC3200 DDR, 300Gb HD 128Mb DDR Nvidia 6600GT PCI Express, Audigy 2 ZSCH Products Yoke, Pedals and Throttle Quadrant

Have a good time. I took an extended break (which ran to 6 months form the originally planned 2) last year, did me no amount of good.Find a new hobby, or pick up an old one long neglected.

HAHAHAfunny i am exactly in your shoes, my interest in fs has died, but this happens on and off.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest Glaudrung

Well Jeremy,I guess we all have had that feeling at some point in our Fs-lives.For me, the feeling comes and goes. (It comes when there are only few great addon's on the market and it goes away when some developper announces some great plane, scenery or utility).Only a few weeks ago, I got so bored with it all that I tried something completely different. I borrowed a copy of "Call of Duty" (the first edition) to get my mind of the Fs-bug.And it worked. After completing that game, I realised that the game was over, played and never to be played again... (what's the use when you know what is waiting around the corner).So I cleaned up my harddisk, cleaned up my Fs directory, cleaned out my mind and started flying again.Until the next moment of boredom I'm sure.Have a nice 'vacation'Luc 'Glaudrung' BrusselmansBelgium

I'm with you jeremy, been there, done that. I used to be really into it, but more on a creative part and rarely flew, which is why I started a VA thinking it would make me fly more, and it did....for awhile. I found myself buying more payware thinking it would magically transform my sim into something else...it didn't. I enjoy the community and the forums more than I fly as it just doesn't match what I see in RL and that is frustrating to me. I eventually bought a few games/apps and found another creative community and thru that have started using new design tools and actually making some money at design, thus giving me another creative outlet.I got a new rig up and running, mainly for design apps and BF2 and found that FS was more enjoyable due to more fluidity with addons and now the news of a new version with graphical features that I have been wanting has given me some excitment.Take a break and enjoy something else, it will be here when you want to return.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest Dasher7

Yeah, I tried that too. Right now I'm having it the other way; A graphics card that is near fried won't let me play FS, haven't flown for a month, and don't have money now to buy a new card.Any feelings I had of burnout have been replaced by an irritating itch...Oh well, hopefully we'll be back in a month flying, both of us.Happy legstretch,Dasher7

Guest jennifer

I've just returned from an attack of burn-out and am now enjoying FS even more than before. Never thought that I'd say that. When you get that feeling, it's best to go with it, step back and pursue other interests and if and when the itch comes back you'll be glad you took the break.Good luck and enjoy whatever you do.

I too have off and on suffered from this malady. After thinking about it though I think the problem is that after getting experience in flying FS, we all want to fly for real. At least that is the rational I have come up with. I'm also pretty sure that the cost of RW flying is the prohibitive factor. At least it is in my case. I took lessons about 10 years ago and except landing problems I progressed ok. When the wife had the nerve to lose her job it ended my short flying career due to finances. Nothing beats the real thing.Jim

Enjoy the time away Jeremy. I've been there and done that also. It's amazing what is does to the perspective of things. When it stops being fun it's probaby time to step back a little. I think I'm facing a long break before FSX is released. I've just started building a house in Florida and my golf game really needs more attention than the latest add-ons. Besides, like my daddy always told me - life's too short to dance with ugly women :-).Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Hello"I borrowed a copy of "Call of Duty"In other words "I pirated a copy of call of duty"If you were to read the licence agreement you would find that the software cannot be borrowed , lent out ect.

Guest DK8290

When you come back to it, you are struck by two things .... 'how amazing it all looks and seems' ..... and 'Dangit those stutters are still there?!'