Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

P3D4: How's your video card working out?

2 1070s in SLI seems to be a sweet spot.

Cheers

jja

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

On the much lower end of things, I am running a GTX 770 with a pity 2GB of VRAM. Prior to installing Orbx and ASP4 I was getting a fairly stable 30 to 40 fps. The addition of these two products took a good 10fps right off the top end. The GTX 770 is running an almost constant 99% the entire time and Core 0 on my 4770K OCed to 4.4 Ghz is at 100%. However, the sim does seem to be running fairly smooth. 

I'll probably upgrade to a GTX1070 in a few weeks to try and push the IQ and fps up a little bit.

The important point is it seems that P3DV4 scales really nicely as long as you don't try to ask too much from your hardware. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, cheers PPO and all, i guess with my new card and the new code i've been pushing it a little, even still.. even dialling back a little yields much greater rewards in V4 and i guess i should still be realistic and simply dial back and enjoy the view at better frame rates.

Still, thanks for your feedback all. I gotta say it's never looked better... really looking forward to the Orbx airports and localised goodness that they bring...

oh, and p.s. all... don't be dis-heartened in any way... we're talking about London, Berlin etc here... with the sliders right up, shadows on buildings etc the amount of autogen is completely insane... crazy.... i'd love some kind of setting where it dialled down certain details as you got near or chose certain areas, cities etc.. this would be amazing.. dynamic detail switching. Food for thought....

I am pretty happy with my SLI GTX970. 

Have spent all day installing and doing some small tests in the PMDG747. 

Started conservative and ended  up with ultra water and most to the right. For now i have my 4k Monitor at 24hz and SLI is a must now. 

Real air legacy at FDST KLAX with FTXSCA and some 6% traffic is amazing. 

SLI do rock in P3DV4. 

Thanks Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

4 hours ago, KenG said:

On the much lower end of things, I am running a GTX 770 with a pity 2GB of VRAM. Prior to installing Orbx and ASP4 I was getting a fairly stable 30 to 40 fps. The addition of these two products took a good 10fps right off the top end.

Wow KenG, another one brave enough to try this! I have the same graphics card, and really thought I would be pushing my luck too far even trying P3D4. I am impressed by what LM have done! It works (leaving settings at about what they were in P3D3) and like you I was getting rock solid 30fps with default planes, even with a heavy scenery add-on and non-optimized payware airport (NMG FACT).  Much sharper textures, better autogen display distance, no popping of autogen, and pretty smooth performance, all without the worry of OOM.

Strange though, when I got Orbx and ASP4 going, with UT2 (40% limit with FSUIPC5), I did not see the FPS drop you note, in fact Orbx seems to have improved FPS (and least in the Cape Town area). And that is with my I7-4770 at standard 3.5Mhz clock speed (since upping to 16gb 1600Mhz RAM I cannot get a stable overclock, but have not really tried too hard on this; want to get stable at stock and then use P3D as my non-synthetic stress tester. P3D using  25% of CPU with core 0 is at 100% as you say (maybe throttled by the card?).

Adding in the PMDG 747 had the biggest effect for me, dropping my FPS down about 5fps at the same locality.

One thing good about trying this 2Gb VRAM card is it seems to expose a definite optimization of VRAM in operation. As you say the card is pushing it at 100% pretty much all the time (temps stable at about 65). ProcExplorer shows P3D using 1.5 to 1.7ish Gb VRAM (other op-system progs use the remaining 3GB), but P3D4 does not crash out when VRAM is maxed under demand, like a rapid 360 pan around in spot view. It seems to throttle back P3Ds share of VRAM when it can, or as system progs need to up their +-3Gb share, and then recharges P3Ds share again (which I suspect is causing a very slight stutter at times). If one leaves the view static one sees Gbs used by P3D drop steadily back down from max 1.7Gb to 1.5Gb, and system progs (mainly Explorer and VideoUI) max out their share.

So for those with 6Gb and 8Gb cards I really do not think exceeding VRAM is going to be a big problem at all, unless you push all settings to max, which you will probably need 11Gb+ VRAM and 32Gb RAM to attain.

I really want to move to a 1070 ASAP, as I know its going to give me the rock steady performance I want with even higher settings, and is the best bang-for-bucks card I can afford. If only I could find one now! Searching my local IT stores, but out-of-stock, two months ago they were lining the shelves. They do have 1080 Ti, but OUCH (32000 in Thai currency)! Talk about temptation more extreme than the local ladies.

Rob H

Robin Harris

Rob,

have you tried http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/video-cards/

They show an Asus 1080Ti available for B 28490. I have made very good experiences with them.

Edit: I also found 1070's shown as available within 1 - 3 days there for about 19000 Baht.

Edited by A340Bangla
found 1070 too

Erhard

I9 11900k RTX 3080 TI 3 x 55" LED TV 4K, 2 more PCs for displays and hardware connection Prosim A320

MY 970 is dying lol....  actually it's fine but in P3D v4 it chokes!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

GTX970 here, and my sim is certainly not chocking, quite the opposite actually. In all fairness, I am only running one monitor at 1920, but P3D has never run more optimally on my setup. Its shocking and still in a state of disbelief. P3Dv3 ran very well on my system, but was plagued with occasional stutters. That's gone from what I've experienced. 

• Upvote 1

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Wow really?  MY vram is maxed everytime I fly.  What is your CPU?  Maybe it's just a GPU/cpu combo issue.  I have the 2500K at 4ghz and it's basically ancient in today's market.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'm never seem to exceed 3.1 Gb Vram from my monitoring software. 

2700K@4.6w/ 16Gb@2133 / Asus GTX970 custom oc. Again though, I am only running one monitor at 1920x1080 at 60Hz. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

9 hours ago, swiesma said:

That's because texture loading is all CPU. Just watch your CPU while flying :-)

Have to agree, I think some of the bigger benefits I'm seeing are from having an i7-7700k to accompany the 1080ti - perfmon certainly indicates the CPU is working very hard

2 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Wow really?  MY vram is maxed everytime I fly.  What is your CPU?  Maybe it's just a GPU/cpu combo issue.  I have the 2500K at 4ghz and it's basically ancient in today's market.

Have you ticked the Ultra terrain textures? This is a VRAM hog and not for our GTX970.4GB 

Thanks Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

My GTX 580 is still managing decent frames :)

With gtx 970 fps is not problem at medium settings, but not get rid of stutters.

C. Uygar

Aircraft Maint. Engineer. at LTFJ