Sign in to follow this  

i9 7900X vs. i7 5960X - P3D V4 performance results 85% FPS increase

Hey Rob,

Great Results. I have an I9-7900x build as well with gtx1080ti and 2 m.2 SDD at RAID 0. With close to your settings, I am getting 27-30 FPS in SoCal even with PMDG 777, orbx global, and SoCal terrain addons. The issue I have is I get stutters during turns on a new 4K Tv even though I am getting 30 FPS. It may be a monitor issue (vsyn) as my old 1080p monitor didn't seem to have such pronounce stutters. Great resolutions though on the 4K. Do you have any suggestions?

thanks!

If you were running both of these chips at default clock speeds then it's not really that surprising.

The 5960x turbo clocks to 3.5 GHz while the 7900x can go up to 4.5 GHz on 2 cores. Since P3D is still a mainly single threaded app we're just seeing what a 1 GHz boost looks like... and it does look nice.

Folks,

Before rushing out to spend your hard-earned dough, I'd wait a few months and see how these Intels stack up against AMDs Threadrippers.  You may be able to get 95% of the performance at 75% (if not less) of the price.  Plus there are still issues to be worked out with the x299 boards.  In all, I think the next 12 months will be a very exciting time for the hobby!  

Can't wait.

Ilya

Ilya Eydis, PPL, ASEL

I can tell with you with your old config must be something far wrong. I get with my Ryzen 6 Core 1600 + GTX 1060 + 16 GB DDR4 Ram even 50 - 55 fps in this scenery, with all graphics maxed out. I do tweaked the cfg file with AffinityMask=4095 for my cpu, thats all...

As well I have Global + Vector + FTX Global NextGen Ultimate.

Quite a wonder why you get only 58 fps with a Titan X + Core i9. Tells me that P3D v4 dont uses the hardware at all properly?

What frequency did you manage to get your 7900X to Rob?  Mine gets to 4.6GHz easily but temps push 85 under RealBench Stress Tests.  So I've left it there.

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

Ah okay, he is using 4k. Have to try it as well on my 4k tv. On my PC i have only 1080p

Yeah, I don´t know exactly what the difference is between running 1080 and 4k but I think it´s considerable. I run 4k with a 1080ti, 2600k overclocked to 4,4 Ghz and get a nice 30fps with PMDG747 but that´s not with everything maxed like Rob. I really like Robs numbers though, strongly considering getting a similar setup.

Almost no difference in 4k. 47 - 55 fps now. When im looking through the ocean after takeoff 60 fps constant. While left turn 48 - 50 fps. Btw. it depends much in which direction you look. On locked spot turning around the plane while in flight I sometimes see 42  - 45 fps only in certain areas.

All the same I even used VSync and Triple Buffering. Its smoother, but costs no fps. Thermal visulation, dont know what it exactly does, I put it on "natural" and no fps loss. I also have OpenLC EU...

Whats really weird is why 4k costs nothing on FPS tho. It looks a bit better but not so much better as I expected to be honest. And this on a 65 inch Samsung KS8000 TV...

This is very puzzling to me. Oh well, good for you. Im running 4k on a 65 inch samsung too but I couldnt even come close o your numbers with a 1080ti. I used to be on a 30 inch 2560x1600 and now upgraded to a 65inch tv. I absolutely love using it for flight sim. Wish I could settle for 1080p like you would have cost me a lot less to setup lol.

11 hours ago, Piotr007 said:

Okay I am rushing into the store to get the setup! Time to quadrupple my FPS that I get from my i7 6700K!

4 times the fps of a 6700k? Well.... We will see. 

PS: switching from 1080p to 4K results in ~30% to 50% less FPS for me. Depending mainly on overcast situation. 

May be interesting for some of you: