Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jock in a Frock

A380 verus 747 (pics)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

NoFirst this is not FS related and you know that this will boil down to a Boeing v Airbus thread.This forum is enough of a zoo without the likes of these threads that have nothing at all to do with FS.Troy

The fact that we moved this thread to the Hangar chat should speak volumes. If it breaks out into a B vs A slugfest it will last as about as long as it takes to hit the delete key.

Ill go with the 747. She's proven herself, whereas Airbus has not...747 has the classic contemporary style, while Airbus seems too techno...747 carries a moderate amount of people, while the A380 can carry 555...which means most airlines will probably try to pack in around 600...Besides, the A380 looks like a gigantic sex toy ;)

It's an inevitable comparison as the 380 gets ready to take over as biggest pax jet. Even then the history, prestige, beauty and power of the 747 line is long proven - the A380 will have a lot of long hard work to do before she can even stand shoulder to shoulder with the 747's rep.I love 'em both to death and can't wait to see the 380 fly; and I wish them both a long future.And re B/A bashing - it boggles my mind how aviators at heart and/or in fact that we all are, that we can often be so small as to hate an aircraft/manufacturer to the point of silliness. Maybe mine is an objectivity that comes from not living in the 'first world' where these magnificent machines are made, but every time I see one take to the sky, so do I.Mark

First off I like Boeing and Airbus equally, like Mark I am an aviation buff and like what ever flies.What I do want to know did I hear that there are concerns with the A380 regarding cracks and possible problems with the gear? I really hope not, I am anxious to see the A380 take flight.On the topic of which I like the 747 just because I loved this aircraft from the first time I saw a Lufthansa 747 at KPHL in the old overseas terminal. Been my favorite of all planes since that day.

Mark"And re B/A bashing - it boggles my mind how aviators at heart and/or in fact that we all are, that we can often be so small as to hate an aircraft/manufacturer to the point of silliness. "Well done - possibly one of the most sensible comments I've seen here for a long time. I've never understood it myself - this 'I hate airbus/Boeing/Tupolev/etc' nonsense. I love aviation and aircraft - they're all great to me.Though to answer the original question. I'd choose neither as I live in a flat and have nowhere to park either of them. Also the price is a little out of my budget.http://online.vatsimindicators.net/916312/3.png

Too bad for you buddy :) - I've got $199M saved - just $1M to go and I'll be ready for A380 'release', and re parking I live on an island so I'll just make sure to order the one with floats :+ :+Seriously though re problems with the A380 obviously there's something to it, but I've learned to take anything the media has to say with a massive slab of salt.My uninformed opinion is that this is the time for engineers to work this stuff out - I'm confident they will.regards,Mark3.2HT/1GIG/X700pro256

As a traveller, I'd much prefer the 747, simply because it carries less passengers. I must confess to having a bit of a prejudice against the 380 ever since I saw the initial promotional video. It showed passengers exercising in a gym, lying in a jacuzzi, and languidly leaning against a cocktail bar. As if! We all want the cheapest tickets possible, so they'll pack us in like sardines.I don't fancy starting to board 1 hour before departure, or waiting 1/2 an hour before I can get off at the far end. The smaller the better. When I travel from the UK to the USA, all things being equal, I go for the airline that uses a 757 rather than a heavy.As a virtual pilot, however, it's a different story...:9

In the same spirit my favorite aircraft would be Gulfstream 450 equipped with the latest PlaneView Honeywell avionics as well as Enhanced Vision coupled with HUD. It beats both 747 and 380 in terms of technology.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Does anyone know if there are stretched versions of the A380 planned? How many pax will those carry?