DTG_Cryss

Update 8: Truesky (1.2.19365.0) Now Live

It’s time to fill in our folders, with the addition of trueSKY heralding the induction of our advanced weather engine. The advanced weather options are accessible via a toggle in the DISPLAY section of the settings menu. 

That’s not all though, there are a couple of follow ups to our Cold / Dark update from last week, so read on for the full change log: 

trueSKY

• Introduction of trueSKY-based advanced weather engine. Weather themes represented in trueSKY are denoted by the “advanced” label in the weather selection menu. These themes will only be available when advanced weather is activated. You can toggle this setting on and off under the DISPLAY section in the Settings menu.

Please note: Advanced weather uses the same weather slider under the display tab and may need to be adjusted.

Aircraft

• Cold/Dark can now set mixture correctly

Avionics:

• Various G1000 annunciator fixes including corrections to the CHECK GEAR, STAL HT FAIL, and GLOW ON messages
  • G1000 - system start-up screens added

DA40

• Door handle tool-tip corrected
  • Fuel pump switch animation corrected

DA42

• Text legibility improved
  • Interior visual model improvements
  • Alternator functionality corrected

PA-46 Malibu Mirage

• Mixture lever made easier to control with mouse
  • Avionics/ radio master switch added

Settings

• Controls are now saved when you exit the settings screen

UI

• Fix for overlapping text in flight plan summary info
  • Bug fix for music slider
  • Removed hover audio from map airports
  • Header bar locked out until after DT live/profile screens
  • Fix for tooltips appearing on loading screen
  • Upvote 6

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Just now, switch686 said:

And this is not an add-on but free, correct?

Yup it's in by default

Very nice! Would love to see a video of trueSKY in action in FSW... Quite impressive.

This is fantastic, well done guys. Can't wait to try it out later today

5 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

Very nice! Would love to see a video of trueSKY in action in FSW... Quite impressive.

Will have one shortly, alternatively we'll be streaming it tonight 6PM BST on Twitch! 

Just now, DTG_Cryss said:

Will have one shortly, alternatively we'll be streaming it tonight 6PM BST on Twitch! 

Thanks for that... Will probably peak along, then...

Btw - since I live en Denmark - is that 8PM CEST? (I really suck at time-zones :laugh:)

1 minute ago, Anders Bermann said:

Thanks for that... Will probably peak along, then...

Btw - since I live en Denmark - is that 8PM CEST? (I really suck at time-zones :laugh:)

Should be 7PM CEST

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DTG_Cryss said:

Should be 7PM CEST

2 minutes ago, tonywob said:

7PM here in Central Europe

My assumptions regarding my sense of time-zones, was just confimed brutally :laugh:

Just kidding. Seriously, though - thanks for that. Both of you!

Okay here'a quick video. And, holy cr*p, it does look good. It's a bit of an FPS hog on high settings when also streaming to FRAPS, so forgive the less than brilliant frame rate here, but you can see that those clouds behave much more like the real thing. And ironically, I just bought Active Sky for P3D V4 today lol. Sort of hard to tell on this vid, but the clouds are actually swirling about, forming and dissipating like the real things do, which you can just about make out if you look at the top of the cumulous clouds, if they can get thermal activity right in the sim underneath those clouds, it'll be a glider sim pilot's dream come true:

• Upvote 3

Thanks for that Chock, you can see the clouds forming in the clip - another first for FSW! Also the best view of Liverpool - from above the clouds! :biggrin:

Looks very nice! I like the solidness, thickness and consistency of the clouds. I don't really see any clouds shadows in that video - is that not implemented in FSW (yet)?

1 minute ago, Anders Bermann said:

Looks very nice! I like the solidness, thickness and consistency of the clouds. I don't really see any clouds shadows in that video - is that not implemented in FSW (yet)?

No shadows yet. Probably coming in the next updates.

1 minute ago, ca_metal said:

No shadows yet. Probably coming in the next updates.

Thanks for clarifying...

I guess they'd overhaul the whole lighting engine. That one is badly needed with the ESP platform... Lockheed-Martin has come some way with Dynamic Lighting - but still a long way to go, IMO... 

Can anybody hear the P3Dv4 crowd collective heads exploding? :laugh:

• Upvote 3

Nope, no cloud shadows yet, one suspects it will come at some point. But frankly, even as it is, the way the clouds form from nothing and grow into big new ones whilst others dissipate is pretty amazing, it's way better than what we're used to in flight sims with a METAR update suddenly popping a bunch of different clouds into existence. Hopefully it will be able to use streamed weather updates to have weather changes kick in even more realistically via FS Flight Controls METAR link to FSW. The guys at HiFi and REX are probably having heart attacks right about now lol.

They weren't kidding when they said it was a big deal update, this is a seriously major leap forward for flight simulation's depiction of weather and all the more amazing for being built into the sim and effectively 'free' for most users. To those who were saying FSW needed a 'wow feature' to set it apart, well this is that wow feature, and then some, and it goes to show that DTG really meant it when they said they wanted to move flight simming on and make FSW the best sim, which it will indeed be if they keep this sort of thing up.

Amazing, and props to you guys at DTG, hope you all have a great weekend, because you deserve it for pulling this one off.

Anyway, since you've proved you can do cool stuff, see if you DTG people can make it have your shiny new clouds swirl as the prop and wingtips go through them. If you can do that, I'll seriously consider deleting all other the flight sims off my hard disk lol.

I'm off now to buy a ridiculously overpowered GPU...

• Upvote 5

23 minutes ago, Chock said:

I'm off now to buy a ridiculously overpowered GPU...

You need CPU more than GPU, so save your pennies.

-eelis-