Sign in to follow this  
spilok

VAS leakage needs to be conquered some way

Triple check all add-ons for P3Dv4 compatibility.

I, for my part, can't migrate because some of my faviourite aircraft have little chance of receiving updates.

As for VAS and FSX, here's the usual sermon:

- Lots of add-ons that get loaded => Higher chance for OOMs => Reduce number of add-ons

- Autogen slider full right => Greatly increased VAS use, especially over forests => Decrease slider one notch

- Using high resolution textures on animated objects (airplanes or scenery) => MUCH more VAS usage => Limit all textures to 2048 DXT1 (if no alpha channel) or 1024 DXT5 (if alpha channel)

- High res ground or cloud textures => More VAS usage => Throw out; replace with lower res versions

- No DX10 => VAS penalty => Enable DX10 mode, use Steves Fixer

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

2 hours ago, Bjoern said:

Triple check all add-ons for P3Dv4 compatibility.

I, for my part, can't migrate because some of my faviourite aircraft have little chance of receiving updates.

As for VAS and FSX, here's the usual sermon:

- Lots of add-ons that get loaded => Higher chance for OOMs => Reduce number of add-ons

- Autogen slider full right => Greatly increased VAS use, especially over forests => Decrease slider one notch

- Using high resolution textures on animated objects (airplanes or scenery) => MUCH more VAS usage => Limit all textures to 2048 DXT1 (if no alpha channel) or 1024 DXT5 (if alpha channel)

- High res ground or cloud textures => More VAS usage => Throw out; replace with lower res versions

- No DX10 => VAS penalty => Enable DX10 mode, use Steves Fixer

A good lesson, I have few memory exhaustion issues, but I'm going to tweak some sliders left in my FSX-SE.
On alternate mesh usage, I use Global FreeMeshX, currently downloading new version 2.0, well, can this lead to some overlap in VAS?
Thank you.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

Do you DELETE all of FSX after you make the move to P3Dv4?

Stan

You don't have to delete anything Stan. You can install Prepar3D v4 and still use your FSX or any other sim for that matter.

Many addons include free updates for v4, many do not. Just build up your library over time just like with FSX.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

If anyone is having hassles with OOMs in FSX classic or steam P3D4 is the answer or rather should be the answer if it wasn't for the elephant in the room we are not allowed to mention - but alternatively just have a close read of the P3D4 FAQ it certainly gives one cause for thought and once you have done that have a read of the PMDG terms of use for their addons (most developers have something similar).  Reading the two together will have you scratching your head.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I've been reading this thread and appreciate the answers from all as I've also been having VAS issues.  Regarding transitioning to P3D4, it seems FSW has been completely discarded as a 64-bit solution option.  Understand that FSW isn't finished and that some vendors have an issue with their sales model.  Is that the reason why FSW has been discarded?  Is there enough in what is seen now to discard it?  I'm only trying to be sure before making an expensive move.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

On 7/29/2017 at 1:24 PM, spilok said:

Question:  If you already own a plane or a scenery...meaning you bought it for FSX, do you have to re-buy it for P3Dv4 when it's made available? 

Stan

This is above is my issue with P3D. With a large main program shift like this causing a rebuy of many addons, I'd rather go with X-Plane.

I just see X-Plane as more future proof and better utilizing hardware.

On 30.7.2017 at 6:13 PM, Dumont said:

A good lesson, I have few memory exhaustion issues, but I'm going to tweak some sliders left in my FSX-SE.
On alternate mesh usage, I use Global FreeMeshX, currently downloading new version 2.0, well, can this lead to some overlap in VAS?

Yes. More data loaded by FSX => More VAS usage.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

12 hours ago, SAX702 said:

I've been reading this thread and appreciate the answers from all as I've also been having VAS issues.  Regarding transitioning to P3D4, it seems FSW has been completely discarded as a 64-bit solution option.  Understand that FSW isn't finished and that some vendors have an issue with their sales model.  Is that the reason why FSW has been discarded?  Is there enough in what is seen now to discard it?  I'm only trying to be sure before making an expensive move.  

Fsw hasn't been discarded, but there isn't anything there yet to warrant consideration.  It's a beta product, and too much is unknown, particularly if you have a large amount of addons for other sims.  They might at some point finish it and release an sdk and some details about third party support, and if that is acceptable then it might be a viable option.  Until then, p3dv4 is finished and is a known quantity vis-a-vis addons, so that's the current 64 bit solution, along with xp11, and aerofly.

MADE THE MOVE.  Downloaded Prepar3v4 today.  Enjoying setting it up.  Still need to get rid of Menu bar on top and make it full screen.  Don't know how to do it yet, but I was successful in downloading all of ORBX  sceneries.  Now I need to also figure out how to get my planes into the program.  But all is good, and I look forward to NO MORE OOM's.  Also need to delete FSX and all of its addons.

Stan

2 hours ago, spilok said:

Also need to delete FSX and all of its addons.

Why? Unlike people, a sim doesn't care if you keep its predecessor around for a while (or even get reacquainted from time to time).

Cheers!

Luke

• Upvote 2

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Well, perhaps I'll delete some of the memory hogging addons that contributed to so many OOMs. That would at least make "good o' FSX" playable again. 

Stan

11 hours ago, spilok said:

Well, perhaps I'll delete some of the memory hogging addons that contributed to so many OOMs. That would at least make "good o' FSX" playable again. 

Stan

Rather than delete your memory hogging addons, if you have not already tried SIMStarter NG, I would suggest you ought to consider it if you want to continue with FSX rather than migrating to P3Dv4. I only recently bought it but regret that I didn't get it sooner as it has made a big difference to reducing the frequency of OOMs on my system by allowing me to fly with scenery cfg sets containing only the scenery I need for the flight and deactivating the rest. I'm a scenery junkie with nearly all the Orbx products and a vast number of other addons many of which are memory hogging in my FSX set up but by only activating the scenery I need, I can claw back 0.5GB to 1GB of VAS on loading a flight which can usually make the difference between completing the flight and an OOM.

To give you an example, tonight I completed a flight in the iFly 737 from Aerosoft Dublin (big VAS hog) to Aerosoft Malaga (moderately heavy VAS hog) with FTX Ireland and OpenLC Europe active as well as Active Sky 2016 weather. In the past I would most likely have been nudging the 4GB VAS limit on loading the 737 in EIDW and may well have not even made it off the ground without an OOM! You need to spend an hour or two setting up the scenery sets and simulator configuration sets when you first install it, but once that is done it is simple and quick to use. I have created what I call 'bare bones' scenery sets for different areas of the world with only the basic necessities activated, then when I want to fly I just activate an origin and destination airport (and maybe a diversion airport) which takes no more than a minute or two. I also have created specific scenery sets for some of the Orbx 'full fat' areas and now rarely fly with any scenery activated outside of the Orbx area I'm using, which again cuts down on overall baseline VAS usage (apart from FTX Southern California which can still push me close to the VA limit).

Just a thought if you want to persist with FSX!

Bill

• Upvote 1

The ONLY thing that needs to be understood here is that FSX is a 32 bit system and it should have been a 64 bit program. So, the more we add to this small program, the more trouble we get into.  Eventually, our beloved hobby turns into remarkable frustration because we can't enjoy a flight without bracing for that inevitable OOM.  Prepar3dv4 solves that BASIC concern.  I have been flying with Prepar3dv4 now for 2 days....getting through the learning curve, adding planes and adjusting the graphics, and the one thing I can't believe is the clarity of the scenery as FAR as the eye can see!  There are no blurries, there are no stutters, and even my Microsoft FF2 joystick is supported.  Downloaded Active Sky today, and am working on EZdok (still a little bit of a challenge since v4 is still in beta...but works.  I'm getting help from EZdok via email on making that work).   So, so far, I'm liking Prepar3dv4 and my frames are excellent. I do not anticipate any OOMs and I believe it is probably the future of flight simulation.

Stan

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, spilok said:

The ONLY thing that needs to be understood here is that FSX is a 32 bit system and it should have been a 64 bit program.

Okay Stan, but of course you know...

- 64 bit systems didn't exist when FSX was created,

- None of the tools in use by developers existed when FSX was created

Well, I could go on and on and on, but I think the point is clear.

Please, don't misunderstand me, I think it's terrific you've found the other side of the rainbow.  But let's avoid statements that, well, you know...  :)

My very best wishes,

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.