Tanguy SEHA

What's your best flying experience in VR?

28 posts in this topic

Guys I have another question, I'm trying to tweak FI with X Plane (stiff the free version) but I see that tons of people are also tweaking with the nVidia control panel, where can I get it? I can't find a download link

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:49 PM, Tanguy SEHA said:

Guys I have another question, I'm trying to tweak FI with X Plane (stiff the free version) but I see that tons of people are also tweaking with the nVidia control panel, where can I get it? I can't find a download link

If you mean the NVidia control panel, download Gforce Experience, and run it. that should give you the control panel if you don't already have it.. Right click any empty space on your desktop, you should get NVidia control panel in the drop down box. 

On 05/09/2017 at 8:49 PM, Tanguy SEHA said:

The Nvdia settings have zero effect on VR. Settings can only be changed through the Steam/Oculus settings or the App (i.e Flyinside)

Anything you change in the Nvidia settings will have zero effect in VR

Just discovered that the FSUIPC saved flight function also does not work in VR.  No big deal but it is handy when everything goes pear shaped, for whatever reason.

I've been doing much more driving in VR than flying (both Dirt Rally and Assetto Corsa are superb), but lately I've been using DCS and have been quite impressed with it in VR.

Project Cars, Dirt Rally, and American Truck Simulator, my flight controls have not been hooked up in a while.

I am reaching over my Logitech G 920 wheel as H shifter as I type this.

I tried War Thunder (free to play) for a laugh last night and it's VR implementation is truly excellent. Of course, it is more of a game than a simulator but the graphics and performance are really amazing in VR. I hope Laminar can pull off something similar with their VR implementation in X-Plane. The dials are really clear to read and everything looks great. Give it a try. Its pretty good fun too.

7 hours ago, steve310002 said:

I tried War Thunder (free to play) for a laugh last night and it's VR implementation is truly excellent. Of course, it is more of a game than a simulator but the graphics and performance are really amazing in VR. I hope Laminar can pull off something similar with their VR implementation in X-Plane. The dials are really clear to read and everything looks great. Give it a try. Its pretty good fun too.

DCS World is also free and has a very good VR implementation. Easily downloaded with a click from Steam.

IL2 Battle of Stalingrad is a blast in VR, particularly the new Kuban map.

14 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

DCS World is also free and has a very good VR implementation. Easily downloaded with a click from Steam.

I have DCS World and it has great VR implementation but there is a weird bug that causes the mouse cursor to disappear (and the oculus headset directed cursor) in multiplayer making some of the planes difficult to use (unless you know all keyboard commands). Also the mapping of my joystick has always been temperamental. In multiplayer the throttle works fine (but with no mouse cursor) but in the training missions and general offline missions, the throttle lever refuses to be remapped and simply doesn't work on my joystick. 

I also find it a little difficult to learn if I am honest, certainly compared to X-Plane or Prepar3d. I can fly it like a 'normal' plane but when it comes to combat and advanced systems there are so many complexities that I feel a little lost. I have watched a few tutorials but like many that I have read on various forums I cannot get the same result due messed up keyboard mappings etc. I wish I had the time and patience for it as it does look great if you know what you are doing and get it to play nicely with your joystick.

On a different note, I tried American Truck Simulator last night in VR. Now that was a blast. Especially as I was on a road trip in that region a few weeks ago. Was awesome to recreate some of the routes we took.

11 hours ago, scotchegg said:

IL2 Battle of Stalingrad is a blast in VR, particularly the new Kuban map.

Agree. I don´t have Kuban, but with Stalingrad I had some epic moments. Following a burning stuka for a while was one of these when your brain can´t really say if you are at home or flying over Russia.