Sign in to follow this  
virtualflying

7700k, 1060, and P3D V3.4

21 hours ago, vc10man said:

Precisely. Mine's the same theory. Nothing as powerful as the OP's system, but I get smooth flights.

same here, most important is having smooth flights. I get some strange changes from 100 fps to 25fps but I live with as long as it's fluid

Frame rate paranoia .... it’s not a good ailment to have .... See a Dr at once!!

😀

I much prefer the sensation of flying with higher frame rates. If you can lock Prepar3d at 60 FPS, with enough headroom to avoid dropping beneath this, it gives a very smooth experience. Locked at 30 is not as good, but not too bad.

If you've tried Aerofly FS2, you'll note that the lowest frame rate you can lock it at is 120 FPS! 

I think a lot of people in the flightsim world are acclimatized to dreadful framerates, I think we all spent a bit of time in the early days of FSX in single figures. But once P3D gets properly optimized, or we all have quantum computers, I think we'll look back and wonder how we ever flew with some of the FPS figures we still accept to today.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

wow, 22 fps, with those numbers, you will totally lose all sensation of flying for sure.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

4 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

wow, 22 fps, with those numbers, you will totally lose all sensation of flying for sure.

See, that's the problem thinking. High FPS does NOT equal smooth stutter free operation.  As I said, I always tune my systems to get smooth operation first and then start dropping the FPS until I hopefully get to that sweet spot with the lowest FPS with the smoothest operation and the most eyecandy.

On my systems, locked at 20 works perfectly the majority of the time. Locking it at 30 works just fine also but I gain absolutely NOTHING in performance and immersion except to be able to say I'm at 30 fps. The lower the fps, the more time the sim has to process all the bells and whistles that make simming a more enjoyable practice.

Want proof? Just read through these forums and look at the mumber of posts from users complaining that they get between 45-60 but it's a jerky mess with blurries, etc.

As a community, the sooner we get off the "high fps is better" bandwagon the happier we will be.

However, since I've been on this soap box for years with no major change, I doubt it will happen. Once a frame junkie, always a frame junkie, I guess.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Vic,

What have you got your sliders set to?  I'm keen on trying your approach.

\Robert Hamlich/

On 10/14/2017 at 10:47 AM, virtualflying said:

In Toronto and in the PMDG 777, I get 22 FPS

Are you using FlyTampa?  Later you mentioned Heathrow, but is that Payware?  

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

6 hours ago, vgbaron said:

High FPS does NOT equal smooth stutter free operation.

My point has nothing to do with smoothness or stutters.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Carlos,

What was your point mate?

I can run P3Dv4 at less than 20FPS and it is as smooth as silk with no stutters. I do not think I am alone here. 22 FPS does NOT, in my opinion, equate to total loss of sensation or immersion.

Can you clarify what your point was please. This is a genuine enquiry and I am not trying to be nasty or contentious.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

11 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Carlos,

What was your point mate?

I can run P3Dv4 at less than 20FPS and it is as smooth as silk with no stutters. I do not think I am alone here. 22 FPS does NOT, in my opinion, equate to total loss of sensation or immersion.

Can you clarify what your point was please. This is a genuine enquiry and I am not trying to be nasty or contentious.

Regards

Tony

You're full of it man, 20 fps is NOT smooth.

--Sean Hart

Sultun of swing

Hmmmmmm

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

14 hours ago, sultanofswing said:

And you don't understand how P3D works man. As I said - smoothness does NOT depend on FPS. On many systems, you are correct, 20fps is not smooth - BUT that's due to the system not the fps. Both my systems run at 20fps locked and both are smooth as silk.

It is quite possible that on YOUR system, the hardware is such that you can't set it up that way but please stop just saying FLATLY that 20fps is not smooth because there are many P3D users who will disagree with you.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

On 19/10/2017 at 10:52 AM, sultanofswing said:

Vic,

I believe that you and I may well be on the WRONG track here. I further believe that we should take note of what the sultan has said with his erudite and fact laden response. With his 100 posts he obviously has vastly more experience in the forums and with the flight sim arena in general, than most of the forum users.  

In fact, after he highlighted my lack of knowledge and experience, I crawled under a rock and seriously contemplated my inferiority and pondered the advisability of taking up knitting which is probably more in keeping with my skill levels.

All this is stated, of course, with tongue in cheek and I mean no disrespect to you.

The sad thing is that this type quoted response, is occuring all to often, and it is no help to either the OP, the forum itself or to the members who are mostly just offering an opinion and in a  lot of cases offering sound and experience driven comments. 

This response of mine, in part, I guess is really no better than the one quoted, but I did have to get it off my chest. I really hope that I have not offended too many people. 

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

At least for For me if it drops below 20 its not good that's when its starts to get jumpy and not smooth at all.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

Hi everybody,

When I switched to P3D V4 I was concerned that my GTX1060 6Gb would be too weak, but I am in fact getting great results and thus wanted to share my settings, hoping  somebody can benefit from them, too.

Hardware Specs are I7-7700k @4,6 ghz, 16GB DDR4 and Palit GTX 1060 6GB on Win10 64. I use a 4k TV at 30hz with VSync, framerate set unlimited in the sim. No NI or cfg tweaks used.

Addons I use are PMDG747 and Majestic Dash8 with FS2Crew, ORBX Global, Europe and Vector, ASP4, FlyTampa airports (mainly), REX4 with soft clouds, UTL live, Precipit FX, ChasePlane and PTA with Matt's preset. I use max 3 cloud layers in ASP4, 90 miles distance, Rex cloud resolution 512. No secondary and tertiary roads in Vector.

Settings are:

2xSSAA; Anisotropic x16; Text.Resolution=2048, Screen Resolution=2560x1440

LOD=high; Tesselation=high; Mesh 5m; Textures 7cm; Scenery complexity=very dense, draw distance=medium, vegetation=normal and buildings dense.

Water detail is medium with only cloud reflections. Special effects both medium.

HDR and dynamic reflections are off, I don´like them. Dynamic lights, landing illumination and lens flare are ticked. Shadow quality  medium, draw distance high. Vegetation, terrain and particles not ticked.

I limit all the 747's screens to 15 fps, unlimited gave me significant performance decrease.

The only situation where I get a serious frame drop now to 15 fps is at UK2000´s Heathrow. In all other situations the sim looks beautiful and runs very smooth, e.g. at FlyTampa´s LOWW or JustSim´s EDDH with UTL at 70% traffic.

Cheers,

Ed

Edited by EdinM