Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

LDSP (Split) Visual Approach RWY 23 in the Airbus A320?

Hi all.

Was in Croatia this summer for my holidays. We were on an AUA A321 into Split landing Runway 23. I remember the approach being pretty steep.

I tried to recreate it in the FSL A320X and wow, it's a tough one. Basically the Croatian equivalent of the hardcore LOWI circling approach!

I flew it 4 or 5 times and even though I managed to land, I definitely would have been relieved of my stripes after each one! :biggrin: Has anyone tried it? Any tips?

It also got me thinking... Any challenging airliner visual approaches you fine people of AVSIM would recommend?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Found this, think  BB did it will go look, in the mean time.

26 minutes ago, Jetset408 said:

Samos!!!! No comparison. Get yourself the 29Palms scenery too.

I'll check out Samos, thanks! 

@Nyxx. Cheers Dave! That video is a huge help. He finishes the turn at 500. Makes it look really easy though! 

8 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Found this, think  BB did it will go look, in the mean time.

You can only do that in the day.  and the aerosoft navadata use to have a problem (last summer) with one of the fixes RORKA

@tooting Navigraph doesn't have RORKA either. Had to enter it manually which I hadn't done before in the FSL. Which was nice! 

And don't take this the wrong way, aren't all visual approaches only conducted during the day? 

I don't see anything about daytime only for the visual. The VOR app to 23 specifies it, but not the visual. Using the VOR and fixes for that visual to 23 are only to be used to enhance the situational awareness.

Hang around vatsim enough You'll see people doing visual approaches at night.  Davies has a video on YouTube going into innsbruck on the visual at night (when it's closed) 

And every day you see people flying into egll after jetban and into lsgg and eddf after curfew. 

Well annoying when you spend your working life trying to avoid the issues! 

1 minute ago, Dave_YVR said:

I don't see anything about daytime only for the visual. The VOR app to 23 specifies it, but not the visual. Using the VOR and fixes for that visual to 23 are only to be used to enhance the situational awareness.

Maybe I'm wrong dave,  I remember flying there last summer on vatsim and the approach controller telling me I couldn't do it after dusk. Like I said only flown there a couple of times 

Just looked at the chat,

Did you do a SPL fix and a 4.6 mile range as that would give a nice visual on map to help the turn 

also a runway fix from runway 05, 050, giving you a line to runway 

17 minutes ago, Ebs said:

@tooting Navigraph doesn't have RORKA either. Had to enter it manually which I hadn't done before in the FSL. Which was nice! 

I logged it with aerosoft,  got the standard fobbing off

4 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Just looked at the chat,

Did you do a SPL fix and a 4.6 mile range as that would give a nice visual on map to help the turn 

Cant remember Dave. I think I manually entered it in yes. I just remember having to get in their before dark and logging the ticket at aerosoft to no avail 

14 minutes ago, tooting said:

Maybe I'm wrong dave,  I remember flying there last summer on vatsim and the approach controller telling me I couldn't do it after dusk. Like I said only flown there a couple of times 

Could very well be some local procedures in place, that aren't mentioned on the charts. Visuals at night are VERY common, at least they are in NA.

I’ve not been there and I bought it lol

But being old I would have the 050 line draw out to help and the SPL 4.6 to hopefully give a good over view.

Might even draw a SPL 4.4 line to fly on!

2 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

Could very well be some local procedures in place, that aren't mentioned on the charts. Visuals at night are VERY common, at least they are in NA.

And Greece 

1 minute ago, Nyxx said:

I’ve not been there and I bought it lol

But being old I would have the 050 line draw out to help and the SPL 4.6 to hopefully give a good over view.

Might even draw a SPL 4.4 line to fly on!

When I was at easyJet we used to get bird strikes there all the time 

If you look at chart 10-1P it says no night opps for VOR

Edit. Dave already said that...better get to bed, nn

ENAT Alta. Circle-to-land, runway 29
LPMA Funchal, Visual approach runway 05

• Upvote 1

Those are simply published visual approach procedures. Far different than simply being cleared for the visual to rwy xx.

Try your luck with Tivat (LYTV) [Made by SkyHighSim] circle-to-land with flight tracks for RWY 14 (day time only).

+1 on Samos (LGSM) [Made by 29Palms]. I've done it in real life and it is one of the most exciting approaches you'll ever have the pleasure of experiencing. What makes this entertaining yet a true test of skill is the hilly terrain and the close proximity of the Turkish border while you make a Kai Tak like turn a few 100ft above the little villages below. 

While you're in Greece, take a look at Skiathos (LGSK) [Also made by 29Palms] as well. It's known as the St. Maarten of Europe and may not offer a difficult challenge but makes for a fun arrival nonetheless. 

• Upvote 1