Sign in to follow this  
GCBraun

We need this on PMDG Planes :)

I want smashed bugs.  One sunny spring afternoon at 16500 just cruising along and then splat.  It took 10 sec for the improbability of what just happened to sink in.  Talk about immersion!

Dan Downs KCRP

2 hours ago, downscc said:

I want smashed bugs.  One sunny spring afternoon at 16500 just cruising along and then splat.  It took 10 sec for the improbability of what just happened to sink in.  Talk about immersion!

Dan,

WOW, I assume there was some lifting air around to get the buggers up that high? Imagine how long it would take a bug to get that high...sheesh! Dan, BTW, were you in the twin pictured in your avatar...is that a 340?

In the mid 80's I lived in the Dallas area, and we used to go to Lake Grapevine occasionally and sit in the boat and watch the FEDEX DC-10's on the 17/18 approaches. One afternoon I spotted a flock of geese, and based on the few clouds in there area, I estimated the geese were flying around 10,000 feet...pretty impressive. I read an article some time ago that said geese have been reported above 29,000 feet.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

4 hours ago, downscc said:

I want smashed bugs.  

You can have them if you get either the Aerosoft H36 Dimona or the Aerosoft DA20-100 Katana, they both have that feature.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

15 hours ago, somiller said:

Dan,

WOW, I assume there was some lifting air around to get the buggers up that high? Imagine how long it would take a bug to get that high...sheesh! Dan, BTW, were you in the twin pictured in your avatar...is that a 340?

In the mid 80's I lived in the Dallas area, and we used to go to Lake Grapevine occasionally and sit in the boat and watch the FEDEX DC-10's on the 17/18 approaches. One afternoon I spotted a flock of geese, and based on the few clouds in there area, I estimated the geese were flying around 10,000 feet...pretty impressive. I read an article some time ago that said geese have been reported above 29,000 feet.

Yeah, there were air mass (scattered) TS that day, that is what I figured happened. The twin is a C-414 Chancellor (not the C-414A with stretched nose).  We were heading home from Dallas Redbird (now Executive) to Corpus.... speaking of birds:  One afternoon on departing RBD I just missed an eagle carrying a snake at about 100 feet.  I called it in to tower and he responded, "Roger zero four keebek flight of two at two hunderd."  I recall that the snake was still writhing, not something you see everyday.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

2 hours ago, downscc said:

Yeah, there were air mass (scattered) TS that day, that is what I figured happened. The twin is a C-414 Chancellor (not the C-414A with stretched nose).  We were heading home from Dallas Redbird (now Executive) to Corpus.... speaking of birds:  One afternoon on departing RBD I just missed an eagle carrying a snake at about 100 feet.  I called it in to tower and he responded, "Roger zero four keebek flight of two at two hunderd."  I recall that the snake was still writhing, not something you see everyday.

Dan,

"flight of two at two hunderd"...lol. Those atc folks sometimes have a dry sense of humor.

Sorry about confusing your aircraft for a 340, the 414 is quite an aircraft!

Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

22 hours ago, downscc said:

My favorite probability is when you're doing the walkaround and look at the leading edge of the props. Granted, I know props spin quite quickly, which increases the probability that something traveling through a blade arc is pretty likely to get hit, but that bug, was in that spot, at that moment, and just happened to get the slice from that blade.

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

As an interesting aside: This guy was in that spot at that moment, but apparently didn't get sliced thanks to reduction gears lowering the rpm of the propeller.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)