Bachian

Is there a limit for the add-on.xml?

Recommended Posts

After migrating to P3D v4.1, I started to add all my freeware sceneries via add-on.xml method. It's very nice, because you don't need to copy Effects files to the sim folder.

The problem is that if I have more than 38 entries in my add-ons folder, I start to have some texture issues, like you can see in the picture bellow:

treHhv.jpg

 

It only happens if I have more than 38 entries, no matter what add-on is.

Do you know if there is any limit of add-ons that can be added to the sim?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

4 minutes ago, Bachian said:

After migrating to P3D v4.1, I started to add all my freeware sceneries via add-on.xml method. It's very nice, because you don't need to copy Effects files to the sim folder.

The problem is that if I have more than 38 entries in my add-ons folder, I start to have some texture issues, like you can see in the picture bellow:

treHhv.jpg

 

It only happens if I have more than 38 entries, no matter what add-on is.

Do you know if there is any limit of add-ons that can be added to the sim?

 

 

Yes, this is an know bug that LM is aware of.

Simbol 

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, simbol said:

Yes, this is an know bug that LM is aware of.

Simbol 

Really? Most of modern addons (scenery and aircraft) use this method, I believe we will be in trouble pretty soon.

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Bachian said:

Really? Most of modern addons (scenery and aircraft) use this method, I believe we will be in trouble pretty soon.

Since they’re aware, I imagine that a fix will be coming via a hotfix or fixed in 4.2.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

Since they’re aware, I imagine that a fix will be coming via a hotfix or fixed in 4.2.

I hope it will be in a hotfix soon.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Bachian said:

It only happens if I have more than 38 entries, no matter what add-on is

Ok, But is there any problem after you load the flight?

Share this post


Link to post

I have a large number number of addon sceneries installed, my total is 412. The issue is the amount of Effects entries. I have copied all my effects to my P3D dir and just back it up. Reduce your effects entries, and all should be fine, until LM fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, lodestar said:

Ok, But is there any problem after you load the flight?

Yes, a lot of textures won't load and the objects became dark, just like the preview.

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, Travelling_Wilbury said:

I have a large number number of addon sceneries installed, my total is 412. The issue is the amount of Effects entries. I have copied all my effects to my P3D dir and just back it up. Reduce your effects entries, and all should be fine, until LM fix it.

That's interesting. What if I create one entry just for all the effects together? It should work…

Have anyone tried that?

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, Bachian said:

That's interesting. What if I create one entry just for all the effects together? It should work…

Have anyone tried that?

is it not the same to leave them on the default PD3 folder? kind of defeat the purpose lol.

Regards,
Simbol

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, simbol said:

is it not the same to leave them on the default PD3 folder? kind of defeat the purpose lol.

Regards,
Simbol

lol yes I know. Sounds silly, but seems too many effects entries and that's your lot.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Bachian said:

That's interesting. What if I create one entry just for all the effects together? It should work…

Have anyone tried that?

You could try that. No ham would be done. I get lazy and just kept with the default, although all my addons are installed via the xml method.

 

There is also an issue with the FSL A320 not showing livery if you have too many addon airports like FSDT airports.I have to disable KCLT. Weird.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, simbol said:

is it not the same to leave them on the default PD3 folder? kind of defeat the purpose lol.

Regards,
Simbol

I prefer to have a folder with all addons effects than put in P3D effects folder. It's always best to leave the P3D untouched. The perfect world would be not have this limitation, but I think that can be a good temporary solution.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Travelling_Wilbury said:

You could try that. No ham would be done. I get lazy and just kept with the default, although all my addons are installed via the xml method.

 

There is also an issue with the FSL A320 not showing livery if you have too many addon airports like FSDT airports.I have to disable KCLT. Weird.

So you already started to have issues because of this limitation. This is what I suspected would be the worst scenario. I hope LM correct this soon, until that, I'm in doubt if the XML is the best solution instead the old Scenery Library.

Share this post


Link to post

Find my posts on Avsim about the XML method and the consequences for effects, sounds and textures resolution before proceeding so you don't damage your simulator.

Regards 

Simbol 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, simbol said:

Find my posts on Avsim about the XML method and the consequences for effects, sounds and textures resolution before proceeding so you don't damage your simulator.

Regards 

Simbol 

I'll look for them. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post

FWIW, the limit also seems to be on the total number of XML files. As you can have as many addon components in those XML files as you want, you could try merging your existing files to reduce their number. (for example one XML per developer, one XML per continent, one XML per aircraft type, etc...)

For the record: you can not damage your simulator with external addon definitions any more than you could with the classic method, quite the contrary, that is the whole puropse of this exercise. You can get into trouble if you edit/copy/overwrite files in the core simulator directories. But if an external definition messes things up, just delete the xml. Or better still, find a sequence/organization that works.

Best regards

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/13/2017 at 11:55 PM, Lorby_SI said:

FWIW, the limit also seems to be on the total number of XML files. As you can have as many addon components in those XML files as you want, you could try merging your existing files to reduce their number. (for example one XML per developer, one XML per continent, one XML per aircraft type, etc...)

For the record: you can not damage your simulator with external addon definitions any more than you could with the classic method, quite the contrary, that is the whole puropse of this exercise. You can get into trouble if you edit/copy/overwrite files in the core simulator directories. But if an external definition messes things up, just delete the xml. Or better still, find a sequence/organization that works.

Best regards

That's the exactly reason I started to use XML instead Scenery library method. It's safer and we do not mess with the original files. However, this limitation/bug is a pain.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Bachian said:

That's the exactly reason I started to use XML instead Scenery library method. It's safer and we do not mess with the original files. However, this limitation/bug is a pain.
 

 

Personally, I have yet to hit this limitation, because I bundled my addons into only a few XMLs from the beginning. Aircraft are organized by developer, scenery addons geograpically and/or by type. For example, I only have one XML for all the old legacy aircraft that I install into the same folder every time. One of my customers has literally thousands of scenery addons organized by XML, and he has them bundled by continent. So he only has about 20 XML files in total, and some have more than 1000 entries.

Granted, there is the issue that you cannot disable a single entry in an XML natively, but the P4AO works around that.

Best regards

Share this post


Link to post

Reported the same day of the 4.1 release. Until they fix it for real this time add all your scenery through the old method of scenery.cfg entries manually or in the in-game menus.

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, 777200lrf said:

Reported the same day of the 4.1 release. Until they fix it for real this time add all your scenery through the old method of scenery.cfg entries manually or in the in-game menus.

Why?

I am obviously missing something here, but why do you need so many XML files? You could manage all your addons with one single XML if you wanted to. 

Best regards

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, 777200lrf said:

Reported the same day of the 4.1 release. Until they fix it for real this time add all your scenery through the old method of scenery.cfg entries manually or in the in-game menus.

Did you read Olivers post above yours?  Why use the breakable scenery cfg. Not good advice IMHO

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

Why?

I am obviously missing something here, but why do you need so many XML files? You could manage all your addons with one single XML if you wanted to. 

Best regards

The only disadvantage I can think of is that when something goes wrong it is harder to isolate it because everything is bundled.

Users would need to edit the XML, save, try, etc.

Not everyone is an IT expert as you.

Simbol

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, simbol said:

Not everyone is an IT expert as you.

I am more concerned about organization, not technology. Having a lot of XML files clutters things up, makes it harder to keep track. That has nothing to do with being an expert, just keeping the sim tidy. Having 500 different XMLs as opposed to 500 entries in a single file (like it used to be in the scenery.cfg) does not sound very attractive to me.

And I think that not everyone is aware that you don't have to create an XML file for every single addon, which is why I keep repeating it. 

Best regards

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, Travelling_Wilbury said:

Did you read Olivers post above yours?  Why use the breakable scenery cfg. Not good advice IMHO

I really doubt most simmers have the ability to create a single xml file for every scenery they have. breakable scenery.cfg? Never heard this. It's a bug reported on their forums in 4.0 you had a crash before loading and in 4.1 you get black textures if you have over a set number of xml files as posted before.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now