Sign in to follow this  
Dane Watson

FSX no longer compatible - will now purchase P3D

3 hours ago, sultanofswing said:

KB4048955 was released today, install that and see if it fixes your issue, I no longer have FSX or p3d V3 installed to test it with.

Thanks - I did install it and it eliminated one issue, one more to figure and I think it is something in the FSX.CFG - that's for tomorrow.

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

Microsoft has officially dropped FSX support years ago. It does not mean that the simulator won't work in the newer Windows versions, it's just if you have an issue, their support line won't help you.

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations

41 minutes ago, Dane Watson said:

Thanks - I did install it and it eliminated one issue, one more to figure and I think it is something in the FSX.CFG - that's for tomorrow.

Perfect, glad you are making progress.

When I moved to PD3V4 I left FSX-SE installed for a while, after I migrated all I wanted I deleted it from my PC.

Simbol 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, simbol said:

Perfect, glad you are making progress.

When I moved to PD3V4 I left FSX-SE installed for a while, after I migrated all I wanted I deleted it from my PC.

Simbol 

Yep, that was my approach. In fact, I put P3DV4 on a separate 1Tb drive. 

However, I still haven't removed FSXSE yet... 

Gary 

Response today to my issue from DTG...

Hey Dane,

Unfortunately this Windows update has caused issues with some users interactions with FSX. We're looking into this and working with Microsoft on a solution.

Please bear with us whilst this is ongoing, your patience is greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Sam 

Regards, Dane

10 hours ago, sillyflyer said:

in Windows 10  you have to deal with video driver upgrades shoved down your throat automatically

Not true. It's fairly straightforward to turn off just the automatic driver updates in Windows 10: https://pureinfotech.com/exclude-driver-updates-windows-10/. As an aside, none of my sims, FSX:SE included, have had any issues after installing the Fall Creators Update (1709).

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I first posted this message as I was so frustrated after spending almost two months and six (6) factory resets which included two "clean" resets, several consultations with MSI as well as several consultations with Microsoft - the result was still the same - crashes.

It had nothing to do with add-ons as I had not added or changed anything for at least four months. It had everything to do with Windows 10 VERSION 1709. It is strange though that it does not affect all PC's and even DTG and Microsoft has acknowledged this - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054150/issues-when-windows-10-fall-creators-update-calls-createwindowex-for-s

Now after all this frustration and after reading what Microsoft suggested I called Microsoft Support again at their highest level (Level 2) and insisted that they download and install VERSION 1607, which they did. So another "clean" factory reset and two days later everything is re-installed as it was four months ago - THE RESULT - NOT ANY ISSUES WHATSOEVER.
By the way the support technician setup my system so no updates will take place until I am assured by reports that version 1709 is now OK.

I STILL PLAN ON PURCHASING P3D V4 IN DECEMBER

Regards, Dane

On 11/14/2017 at 5:39 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

I for one will be keeping P3D v3.4 until FSL Concorde is updated to 64-bit. If it isn’t then that version will remain but at some point I’m more than willing to install P3Dv4.

Whilst having no OOM issues will be wonderful I still have concerns over performance if sliders are all pushed to the right and resolution is increased to 4K. That will impact on performance quite substantially.

The ‘old witch’ isn’t FSX, it’s Windows 10 which I will only install through gritted teeth. I detest not having control over updates.

I don't have the Concorde, but I am keeping version 3.4 and probably will for a long time, because it works and works well. I can't remember the last time it crashed, maybe a year and a half ago , and that was due to an add on.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

On 15/11/2017 at 6:48 AM, some1 said:

Microsoft has officially dropped FSX support years ago. It does not mean that the simulator won't work in the newer Windows versions, it's just if you have an issue, their support line won't help you.

Did they ever?! My, admittedly, limited experience with MS Support was to solve issues by recommending the end user reinstall Windows! I gave up on them a long long time ago. They were never prepared to spend an appropriate amount of time conducting a methodical troubleshoot. It may be I was unfortunate in that on each occasion I encountered an employee whose standard of training fell far short of what one would regard as being reasonably acceptable. 

Actually they are far from being alone. I can name another - ASUS! They design and make great hardware but their level of Support expertise has been found sadly wanting. Again, this has been my experience gleaned from only a couple of encounters. Still, it was enough to discourage me from trying them again. Instead I prefer to muddle along by myself and I have NEVER had to reinstall Windows!

Mike

On 15/11/2017 at 5:36 AM, sillyflyer said:

Prepar3D will not be moving to DirectX 12 anytime soon and if you do not have any need for DX12 games, I suggest you hang onto Windows7 as long as you can.

Seriously..   if you are satisfied with your Flight sim install be it FSX box, FSXse,.. and are running SkyLake processor or under please do not let this forum or Microsoft steer you sideways. Stay with what works and it isn't Windows10 with P3D, well, that's another subject. Be ready to buy new hardware for literally nothing if you have a good/stable Flightsim FSX/FSXSe install today, or..  stay with Windows7 x64 and not be bothered with the Microsoft Windows10 drama for a few more years.

Well said, Sir! I decided on Windows 7 Pro 64bit as the core engine for my latest build a couple of years ago. That decision has proven to be the wise one as I couldn't be happier. I have no desire to upgrade further hardware-wise as what I have delivers near absolute stability, minimal issues, and all the performance I am ever likely to need in the foreseeable future. Windows 7 remains very popular and continues to receive full support by 3rd Party Developers. This is likely to continue until early 2020 and possibly even beyond.

If we are honest, Windows 10 currently offers very little that is genuinely new and needed by the average user. Think Microsoft Office and ask yourself how much you actually require or in fact use? After all, and to be blunt, my understanding is that Windows 10 is an amalgam of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 plus the addition of a few (user friendly?) bells an whistles. Windows 8.1 proved to be unpopular whereas Windows 7, arguably, may turn out to be recognised as the best operating system to have come out of Redmond, Washington. Windows 10 is capitalising on that success and may well be the last to appear...thankfully!

I may well follow the flock and update to Windows 10 someday. Right now it is just not a necessary imperative to enjoy to the full and exploit (hardware aside) what is currently being offered on the world's digital market shelves. 

Far be it for me to hinder technology's march of progress. That needs to continue despite anything we may say. However, for many of us, attaining a level of contentment for what we have makes it perfectly reasonable to suspend that compulsion for constant upgrading. Try it, that sense of relief and freedom is wonderful!

Regards,

Mike

11 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I don't have the Concorde, but I am keeping version 3.4 and probably will for a long time, because it works and works well. I can't remember the last time it crashed, maybe a year and a half ago , and that was due to an add on.

I agree P3D v3.4 is very stable. However, it's still inhibited by the 4Gb VAS limit. I take it you've seen the announcement about a 64-bit Concorde. Have you considered sending an email to FSL showing your support for the 64-bit version?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

14 hours ago, Dane Watson said:

I first posted this message as I was so frustrated after spending almost two months and six (6) factory resets which included two "clean" resets, several consultations with MSI as well as several consultations with Microsoft - the result was still the same - crashes.

It had nothing to do with add-ons as I had not added or changed anything for at least four months. It had everything to do with Windows 10 VERSION 1709. It is strange though that it does not affect all PC's and even DTG and Microsoft has acknowledged this - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054150/issues-when-windows-10-fall-creators-update-calls-createwindowex-for-s

Now after all this frustration and after reading what Microsoft suggested I called Microsoft Support again at their highest level (Level 2) and insisted that they download and install VERSION 1607, which they did. So another "clean" factory reset and two days later everything is re-installed as it was four months ago - THE RESULT - NOT ANY ISSUES WHATSOEVER.
By the way the support technician setup my system so no updates will take place until I am assured by reports that version 1709 is now OK.

I STILL PLAN ON PURCHASING P3D V4 IN DECEMBER

WOW, that's very interesting. It is actually nice to hear that they changed their attitude. Few years back it was easier to get hold of POTUS by phone than help from Microsoft. But hey, nice change. Well, MS made so much so he could invest in customer service. Jokes on the side.

After last update (in November, not October?!) I started getting weird messages....got mad of course, had to revert update but I wasn't surprised much and after started reading forums, I heard bells started ringing....After many years of FSX-ing, many purchases latter, I have decided to switch to P3Dv4. Installed new drive and and bought few PMDG's and few addons...Rest was more or less compatible with, of course, initial set-up pain, etc. Some scenery conflicts, CTD on start-up, camera views...etc..frustrating at the beginning but I managed somehow to make few short flights, and today I am making first long flight to see what's is going to happen.

On FSX I would pry my kidney stones out taxiing on FT CYYZ from to much stuttering and let alone approaching FT CYYZ after long haul flight. Now...smooth nothing is happening, like milk....And that worries me...not because of kidney stone much, but more what we are going to do? Just fly and enjoy? No fixing? No CTD, OOM? LOL

And as far as Win 10 goes...like it or not, it is here to stay the way they design it, not sure if they care about long time abandoned FSX. So as someone wrote few posts up, it is up to DVTG and LM and others to step up the game. How I see it at this moment, LM could have inside tip what's coming in Fall so they were preparing whole spring. Ok maybe not tip but, you know what I mean, a hunch.... Besides, we all will agree that years or so back, information we had is that in order to change any Sim to 64 bit platform would be to costly and tough to do. Only way to re-write new code, etc. But it appears that is not the case.

So after spending roughly about $650 CAD again...I am happily in the air...

P.S. my FSX SE still on other drive...just in case....

Cheers

Alex 

9 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

WOW, that's very interesting. It is actually nice to hear that they changed their attitude. Few years back it was easier to get hold of POTUS by phone than help from Microsoft. But hey, nice change. Well, MS made so much so he could invest in customer service. Jokes on the side.

After last update (in November, not October?!) I started getting weird messages....got mad of course, had to revert update but I wasn't surprised much and after started reading forums, I heard bells started ringing....After many years of FSX-ing, many purchases latter, I have decided to switch to P3Dv4. Installed new drive and and bought few PMDG's and few addons...Rest was more or less compatible with, of course, initial set-up pain, etc. Some scenery conflicts, CTD on start-up, camera views...etc..frustrating at the beginning but I managed somehow to make few short flights, and today I am making first long flight to see what's is going to happen.

On FSX I would pry my kidney stones out taxiing on FT CYYZ from to much stuttering and let alone approaching FT CYYZ after long haul flight. Now...smooth nothing is happening, like milk....And that worries me...not because of kidney stone much, but more what we are going to do? Just fly and enjoy? No fixing? No CTD, OOM? LOL

And as far as Win 10 goes...like it or not, it is here to stay the way they design it, not sure if they care about long time abandoned FSX. So as someone wrote few posts up, it is up to DVTG and LM and others to step up the game. How I see it at this moment, LM could have inside tip what's coming in Fall so they were preparing whole spring. Ok maybe not tip but, you know what I mean, a hunch.... Besides, we all will agree that years or so back, information we had is that in order to change any Sim to 64 bit platform would be to costly and tough to do. Only way to re-write new code, etc. But it appears that is not the case.

So after spending roughly about $650 CAD again...I am happily in the air...

P.S. my FSX SE still on other drive...just in case....

Cheers

Thanks for your reply. I see your home airport must be CYYZ, mine is CZBB near to CYVR.

Yes I am looking forward to P3D V4 in December.

Regards, Dane

As of now it works absolutely perfect. Of course I need more adjustments.To bright at the moment and have to  play with it...Starting with monitors that were adjusted to FSX.....You will enjoy it... 

Alex 

6 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I agree P3D v3.4 is very stable. However, it's still inhibited by the 4Gb VAS limit. I take it you've seen the announcement about a 64-bit Concorde. Have you considered sending an email to FSL showing your support for the 64-bit version?

Never had a VAS issue, so 3.4 will be with me for a very long time. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310