Sign in to follow this  
NBouc

Windows 10 1709 = 50% loss of FPS in P3Dv4.1 ?

Hi simmers,

Last night I updated to Windows 10 Fall Creator Update 1709 (from an up-to-date 1703) and ever since my FPS in P3Dv4.1 are 50% lower than what they were on Windows 1703.

I tried to solve the issue by removing the current Nvidia drivers (385.28) using DDU in safe mode, and installing the latest available version (388.13) but the result is the same. I even tried a fresh re-install of drivers 385.28 and still no improvement. Doing a google search reveals a few posts outside the Avsim forums talking about that problem with other games, but none that offers any real solution (apart from suggesting to update the video drivers).

Are any of you facing the same issue ?

Normand

Intel i7 14700K @ 5.6 GHz / Asus ROG STRIX Z790E Wi-Fi / 32GB DDR5 6400 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 1000 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 11

You can go to settings in W10 and updates and rollback to before the last update was installed.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

Vineguy, that is an option I am considering, but I would prefer to try and correct the problem on 1709 if I can. If nothing can be done, I will rollback to Windows 10 1703. Being on the Home version, 1709 might be forced back on me later down the road :-(

Normand

Intel i7 14700K @ 5.6 GHz / Asus ROG STRIX Z790E Wi-Fi / 32GB DDR5 6400 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 1000 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 11

40 minutes ago, NBouc said:

I'm not having any problems with 4.1 since I upgraded to 1709 earlier in the week.  But there is always the possibility that I am doing something wrong. :smile:

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

1 hour ago, NBouc said:

Hi simmers,

Last night I updated to Windows 10 Fall Creator Update 1709 (from an up-to-date 1703) and ever since my FPS in P3Dv4.1 are 50% lower than what they were on Windows 1703.

I tried to solve the issue by removing the current Nvidia drivers (385.28) using DDU in safe mode, and installing the latest available version (388.13) but the result is the same. I even tried a fresh re-install of drivers 385.28 and still no improvement. Doing a google search reveals a few posts outside the Avsim forums talking about that problem with other games, but none that offers any real solution (apart from suggesting to update the video drivers).

Well, I do not use Nvidia, but some forum friends use it, I was reading about problems with new Windows and found this, You will find in the eighth message a possible solution:
http://www.voovirtual.com/t43672p25-importante-nao-atualizem-seu-windows-10#336713

The problem does not reach all, my hardaware is AMD and I do not have the problem.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

be sure that "game mode" is not activated, on my pc the game mode makes P3D4 unplayable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

4 minutes ago, rampa said:

be sure that "game mode" is not activated, on my pc the game mode makes P3D4 unplayable.

That's what I was going to say - or the XBox app DVR.

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

13 minutes ago, Gridley said:

That's what I was going to say - or the XBox app DVR.

Thanks guys but it's all OFF (Game Bar OFF, Game DVR Recording OFF, Game Mode not activated, TruePlay OFF)

@João Alfredo: The spanish forum you referenced seems to deal with the problem with 32-bit FSX and P3D, which is different than what I am having. I don't have the option to select a rendering device in my Nvidia CP, my GTX1070 is automatically used. Thank you anyway.

Normand

Frustrated by the low FPS issue in P3D4 on Windows 10 1709 (16299.64) and not having any clue as to why, I decided to fallback to Windows 10 1703 (15063.674) and everything is back to normal.

• Upvote 1

Normand

Always delete your shaders if either Windows 10 or nVidia drivers are updated. Also, make a backup of your prepar3d.cfg (or simply of your added lines) and delete the prepar3d.cfg after such big W10 updates.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

It's threads like this that are making consider retaining Win 7 even after my next hardware upgrade.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

1 hour ago, brucewtb said:

It's threads like this that are making consider retaining Win 7 even after my next hardware upgrade.

Bruceb

I hope you're aware that the most recent hardware (CPU, Chipsets) won't have even W7 drivers.

The main problem is more that people have to understand that there is one important step to have an hasslefree Flightsim-System: to have an clean OS installation which is solely installed for simming and the needed Addons. On this installation you can leave out OS updates, antivirus and all other small things that can massively disturb the performance.

An more or less easy task, for a multiboot system where you can still have an All-Day-OS installation for all the other stuff you just need a second Harddisk and an OS key.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

For anyone having this issue, you can try right-clicking on the P3D icon, Properties>Compatibility, "Disable full-screen optimizations". It has helped folks that were having problems with the latest Windows updates.

• Upvote 1

J.C.

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien
Microsoft Flight Simulator - i7 7700k 5.0 gHz - EVGA 1080ti FTW3 - G.Skill RipJaws 3200 MHz 32GB

18 minutes ago, jacf182 said:

For anyone having this issue, you can try right-clicking on the P3D icon, Properties>Compatibility, "Disable full-screen optimizations". It has helped folks that were having problems with the latest Windows updates.

I am interested to heard how many guys have applied this and if it helped.

Simbol

18 hours ago, JoeFackel said:

I hope you're aware that the most recent hardware (CPU, Chipsets) won't have even W7 drivers.

Yes I am aware that my hardware upgrade options are limited if I stay with win7 its just that I have none of the hassles canvassed in this thread and I would be very reluctant to embark on a path where they will become my lot.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."