Sign in to follow this  
Steve 707

Microsoft Releases KB4051963

For those who still have a broken FSX, do you have .Net installed by any chance? I thought it was installed on all Windows systems, but it's not installed on mine. Someone with problems on P3D v.4 said the problem was .Net on their system. Perhaps it applies to the 32 bit versions too?

Yes, there are many configurations out there, but previously 100% of people were affected. Now some people aren't. I would look for the difference between those systems instead of repeatedly tweaking and re-installing. I have OrbX, A2A, and ASN installed. According to others, PMDG works for them too. What addons do you have installed?

I just left my FSX install alone since the Creator's Update. Someone with PMDG posted the news about the recent update and it immediately worked for me. Some people are reporting errors besides the "child window" one. That could very well be something altogether different. 

Also, make absolutely sure that the update is installed. I ran update and it first updated the security definitions. I ran it again and then it actually installed the new update.

Just my 2 cents.

1 minute ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

For those who still have a broken FSX, do you have .Net installed by any chance? I thought it was installed on all Windows systems, but it's not installed on mine. Someone with problems on P3D v.4 said the problem was .Net on their system. Perhaps it applies to the 32 bit versions too?

Dotnet is installed on all systems (see the AVSIM CTD Guide and go to the Microsoft.net section.  You will see the various versions installed by looking in C:\Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework and \Framework64.  FSX and other 32 bit applications require the 32 bit version (x86) even though you have Windows 64 bit installed.  Only 64 bit applications like P3DV4 and XP11 use the 64 bit dotnets.  They all have to be installed.  This is why you will not see them in the Add/Remove Programs.  You remove them and you will have issues.

6 minutes ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

I just left my FSX install alone since the Creator's Update. Someone with PMDG posted the news about the recent update and it immediately worked for me. Some people are reporting errors besides the "child window" one. That could very well be something altogether different. 

Same here.  I have one minor issue if I click on the menu.  Everything else works and I can use all payware aircraft and scenery.

3 hours ago, Bjoern said:

Rob McCarthy, P3D's core lead, says that the next Patch Day (Dec. 12th) would bring a fix.

See here:

https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171475#p171475

Hope this fixes FSX and FSX-SE too!!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi there, do we have any news from PMDG? I get (not always) the Error Creating Child Window, i usually wait for some seconds, press the OK on the error window and from Fsx menu go to FLIGHT/Reset. Sometimes the problem is Solved, other times i have to Reboot the computer, run FSX, load the default flight, exit, run FSX again and then load the plane i want. Then i can use FSX Menus while in flight, but only 3-4 times. If i push it too far i get a CTD.

Weird, Has anyone got any Information from STEAM by the way?

Regards 

Dio,

I'm waiting for Patch Day (Dec. 12th), and hoping for the best.  I also heard folks reverting back to Windows 7 with no problems.

David Russell

Commercial Pilot

Airplane Single Engine Land Instrument Airplane

16 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Dotnet is installed on all systems (see the AVSIM CTD Guide and go to the Microsoft.net section.  You will see the various versions installed by looking in C:\Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework and \Framework64.  FSX and other 32 bit applications require the 32 bit version (x86) even though you have Windows 64 bit installed.  Only 64 bit applications like P3DV4 and XP11 use the 64 bit dotnets.  They all have to be installed.  This is why you will not see them in the Add/Remove Programs.  You remove them and you will have issues.

Hmmm.... Looks like you're right. I was looking in the registry according to some Microsoft document. Could it be referring to .Net software development tools? I guess there's no reason that would be an issue though. I tried opening various windows and it didn't crash my system.

17 minutes ago, Dio said:

No new info there.

5 minutes ago, N11369 said:

Dio,

I'm waiting for Patch Day (Dec. 12th), and hoping for the best.  I also heard folks reverting back to Windows 7 with no problems.

I have the second SSD with all software Installed for Simulation on Windows 7 X64 just in case.... Things are going from bad to worst with Windows 10.... I feel that only PMDG will give a solution to this chaos Microsoft has created.

Regards.

Hi,

Ok, so I have been testing my fresh FSX install (still using DX9) with a couple of add-on aircraft now, the Alabeo C172 Cutlass which I was having the child window / unsupported operation errors with before and also tested a freeware FS2004/2002 Hunting Jet Provost, flew both of them for approximately an hour each, clicking away at the menu bar loading the map, changing weather/time/season, creating new flight plan etc and no more errors as of yet and didn't have a single issue with either of them (well apart from the Jet Provost getting through its fuel at an alarming rate). I am now going to start re-installing all of my REX+ORBX add-ons one at a time before I think about the DX10 Scenery fixer and cloud shadows, but so far so good.

Cheers.

58 minutes ago, Dio said:

Not really sure that Steam can do anything about it, think it is more down to Microsoft and/or Dovetail.

Hi CYBERMiiN think that the problem in with PMDG Add ons... All FSX; SE stock planes work fine. I am going to use Aerosoft A321 and i will let you know. Regards

1 hour ago, Dio said:

Hi CYBERMiiN think that the problem in with PMDG Add ons... All FSX; SE stock planes work fine. I am going to use Aerosoft A321 and i will let you know. Regards

Hi Dio,

Well I myself do not have any PMDG add-ons but was getting the errors with the default aircraft plus my Alabeo C172 Cutlass and an old FS2002/2004 freeware Jet Provost, have not been using any other aircraft.

Anyhow I have now got a fresh install of FSX, my Cutlass and Jet Provost, REX 4 Texture Direct + Soft Clouds, REX HD Airports, all have been tested in DX9 mode, no W7/W8 compatibility or run as admin, have been clicking on the menu bar changing weather/time/season, creating flight plans, saving flights, changing aircraft all working great for a few hours and I kid you not I went to exit my last flight to come back on here to report my findings and *BAM* 'An unsupported operation was attempted' clicked ok and found myself back on the desktop......NNNOOOOOOO :angry: That's it I give up.

19 minutes ago, CYBERMiiN said:

Hi Dio,

Well I myself do not have any PMDG add-ons but was getting the errors with the default aircraft plus my Alabeo C172 Cutlass and an old FS2002/2004 freeware Jet Provost, have not been using any other aircraft.

Anyhow I have now got a fresh install of FSX, my Cutlass and Jet Provost, REX 4 Texture Direct + Soft Clouds, REX HD Airports, all have been tested in DX9 mode, no W7/W8 compatibility or run as admin, have been clicking on the menu bar changing weather/time/season, creating flight plans, saving flights, changing aircraft all working great for a few hours and I kid you not I went to exit my last flight to come back on here to report my findings and *BAM* 'An unsupported operation was attempted' clicked ok and found myself back on the desktop......NNNOOOOOOO :angry: That's it I give up.

So FSX: SE , Aerosoft A321, GSX. REX Essent. + Overdrive. AS16, ORBX Vector, Global, Europe, Various Airports. No problem at all with Aerosoft, PMDG i think has ( ? ) the problem for the time being with Fall Creators Update. Today i realized that AI Suite III failed to set up. That happened to many users after Fall Creators Update installation. Well with PMDG (B738,B44) you can't even start a flight, CTD straight after loading......

Waiting to land the A-Bus and try to exit. I will let you know.

But i know from other forums (no simming) that they (Microsoft) are on a project called OneCore, so practically we have become their testers, let's wait for 12/12 when the new update will arrive.

Regards

32 minutes ago, Dio said:

Waiting to land the A-Bus and try to exit. I will let you know.

Well good luck with that :happy: I've given up at the moment and am now listening to some music, think I might fire up 'Order of Battle - Winter War' no child window or unsupported operation errors there (I hope).

Cheers.

4 hours ago, CYBERMiiN said:

Not really sure that Steam can do anything about it, think it is more down to Microsoft and/or Dovetail.

Since it affects P3D (32 bit versions) too, this is an MS deal.

47 minutes ago, CYBERMiiN said:

Well good luck with that :happy: I've given up at the moment and am now listening to some music, think I might fire up 'Order of Battle - Winter War' no child window or unsupported operation errors there (I hope).

Cheers.

No problem at all, Perfect landing, perfect exit :gaul:. Weird stuff..... :angry: