Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

Best Weather Generator

I don't like seeing abrupt viability or cloud changes in XP 11. I'd like to see good cloud depiction and smooth visibility transition. I'm currently using the default weather generator.

What are you using (payware or freeware) and what are the results?

Thanks.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

XEnviro does a great job, highly recommended, its pricey $70 but from my point of view, well worth it.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I'm still waiting for the Active Sky port into X-Plane :-)

Meanwhile NOAA is free and does a great job, for the price :-)

• Upvote 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

I'm still waiting for the Active Sky port into X-Plane :-)

Meanwhile NOAA is free and does a great job, for the price :-)

Jose,

Does NOAA fix the abrupt visibility changes I experience with default XP live weather?

THX

3 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Jose,

Does NOAA fix the abrupt visibility changes I experience with default XP live weather?

THX

Can't say, since I don't have XP11 installed :-/  but I'll fwd your question to Humpty...

But he ( Humpty ) did complain about the weird haze / fog effects apparently caused by NOAA...

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

28 minutes ago, DJJose said:

If memory serves me right, It doesn't, but its free, why don't you try it out and find out if it works for you.

• Upvote 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I've tried NOAA in XP 10 and saw the same abrupt visibility changes. I have a feeling that I'll have to get XEnviro. I just need to confirm from other users that it fixes the issue I'm trying to get away from.

Thanks!

I use FS Global Real Weather (FSGRW) and like it very much.  I use it with FSX and it's available for xPlane.  Accurate and smooth transition flying weather is very important to me.  My flights average just under 2 hours and I rarely if ever notice a transition.  Read my signature below......

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

You can always tune the -look- of the default weather by using better clod puffs. The HD cloud puffs available on the .org have a few nice ones (the puffy ones 4-8), and there's another free one on the .org that has fans, too. X-Enviro definitely has its moments, in the good and in the bad. For now, I find the visual fidelity of HD puffs and X-Plane's default clouds satisfying. Yes, it's lacking variety but performance is very good and you don't lose all the functionality in X-Plane's weather menu.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

One of the last updates (maybe the last one) to 11.10 did some changes to the default clouds/weather.  I am using the default now and have parked my SkyMaxx and RWC.  I had used several LUA scripts to achieve what I was looking for, but the default now looks plausible - to me anyway.

John 

John Wingold

6 hours ago, fppilot said:

I use FS Global Real Weather (FSGRW) and like it very much.  I use it with FSX and it's available for xPlane.  Accurate and smooth transition flying weather is very important to me.  My flights average just under 2 hours and I rarely if ever notice a transition.  Read my signature below......

I have and used FSGRW in XP 10 and I saw the same abrupt visibility & cloud changes.

If you do a search, this issue with the visibility has been a problem for a long time and it's still not rectified in XP 11.

I will only invest in XEnviro if it fixes the problem. I don't think that there's a money back guarantee on that addon.

26 minutes ago, DJJose said:

I have and used FSGRW in XP 10 and I saw the same abrupt visibility & cloud changes.

Sorry if it does not satisfy in XP. My only experience with it is with FSX and it has been flawless.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

5 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Sorry if it does not satisfy in XP. My only experience with it is with FSX and it has been flawless.

FSGRW works well in FSX/P3D, but X-Plane is a completely different sim.

1 minute ago, DJJose said:

FSGRW works well in FSX/P3D, but X-Plane is a completely different sim.

On the surface it sounds like a area that XP needs to address.  Sorry to hear the transitions are not good.  I plan flights at FltPlan.com and brief myself on departure, destination, and enroute weather. In FSX what FSGRW produces is spot on, including winds and OAT aloft. I'm spoiled at this point. Was unaware of the XP WX issue.  Hope it gets addressed.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

This has been one of my very small issues with XP as well. xEnviro does NOT fix the problem either, although I have to say it is fairly good. But certainly not realistic in that you can be flying along next to clouds and then you are in instant whiteout. You also get clouds materialising like magic in front of you. But if you can overlook this issue, xEnviro really does generate a very good and fairly realistic weather system. Some of the cloud formations are just stunning. And much better than SMP (IMO).

Mind you, if this was my only problem with XP 11, I would count myself thrice blessed.

• Upvote 1

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+