Sign in to follow this  
Bushido5

GTN 750 Flight 1 or reality XP ?

I which a month ago. Glad I did.

• Like 1

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

16 hours ago, RXP said:

You might want to review the following discussion, there are really good advise and solutions for the GNS DB. I'd say just literally read the recommended post:

I have read these posts Jean-Luc and that is why I decided to pass on the GNS. The process seems complicated and a lot of people do not seem to be successful. I just do not have that much time to sim and I'd rather be flying when I do. Just keeping the sim and all my addons up to date takes quite a bit of time. The GTN is quite impressive and learning it is keeping my attention for the time being. Perhaps after I am comfortable with the GTN I will reconsider the GNS.

Ted

• Like 1

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

43 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

I have read these posts Jean-Luc and that is why I decided to pass on the GNS. The process seems complicated and a lot of people do not seem to be successful. I just do not have that much time to sim and I'd rather be flying when I do. Just keeping the sim and all my addons up to date takes quite a bit of time. The GTN is quite impressive and learning it is keeping my attention for the time being. Perhaps after I am comfortable with the GTN I will reconsider the GNS.

Ted

Some aircraft cockpits only support a GNS unit, which is realistic for the type.. Example: Baytower RV7

The GNS is an older technology unit, and will require an additional learning curve.  As for navdata, there is the additional complication that its storage capacity is limited and Garmin decided to remove smaller airports from the worldwide database after 1Q2016 to save space.  So, as a simmer you either have to be OK with flying with a 1513 WW database (as I do), or opt for a newer regional database that covers the area you fly in..

The 1513 database is available from yours truly, if requested via PM with your email address.

Bert

35 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

The 1513 database is available from yours truly, if requested via PM with your email address.

I appreciate this offer Bert. Currently I have the GTN 750 installed in just the Realair Legacy and XtremeProtoTypes Lear 24B and am enjoying learning to use it in these two aircraft. As I expand into the rest of my fleet ( A2A, Flysimware, and others) if I come across an aircraft that only accepts the GNS I will purchase it and definitely be PMing you for the database.

Does the GNS come with a relatively recent North American database that includes the smaller airports? I mostly fly in North America so perhaps I am making a mountain out of a molehill with regards to the missing smaller airports in the World Wide database.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

46 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

Does the GNS come with a relatively recent North American database that includes the smaller airports? I mostly fly in North America so perhaps I am making a mountain out of a molehill with regards to the missing smaller airports in the World Wide database.

Ted

Ted, it does not, but again, I should be able to help you.. :wink:

• Like 1

Bert

51 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

I too mostly fly into small airfields in north America using FSE. I find it relatively easy and quick to created the airport or waypont if it is missing using GPS coordinates. (Little navmap for helpful for that) I've even created a approaches to the non existent airports in the data base and Vnav abled.

22 hours ago, Adrian123 said:

I find it relatively easy and quick to created the airport or waypont if it is missing using GPS coordinates.

I didn't realize that you could add airports and approaches. This is a nice feature. Do you have to add them every flight to the same airport or do they become part of the database?

Ted

So, having acquired XP11 now, in addition to P3D, I must draw readers' attention to 2 points that make the RealityXP even more attractive.

1. The Flight1 GTN I have in P3D has the 1603 AIRAC, or has it been updated  (been a while) ? I believe the RXP is at 1806 ?

2. If you have 2 units such as the 750 and 650 (and the second is half price), they have cross fill.....Nuff said..... !

Edited by Gabe777

Gents,

I'm interested in these gauges as an aircraft I'm currently beta testing has multiple panel configurations that allows for the inclusion of:-

• Reality XP GNS530
  • GTN650 / 750 from Reality XP and Flight 1

Having zero knowledge of either I would like to add one to my aircraft. It's a jet with a ceiling of 50,000ft and cruise speed of Mach 0.82 for info.

A couple of questions...

1) Can the database of either be updated and if so via Navigraph or another source? If another is there a subscription?

2) Can a P3D flight plan be loaded directly into either? Is it capable of reading the one stored in P3D like Active Sky can? Or do they have custom flight plans? I do own PFPX if that helps.

The Reality XP ones are currently discounted so those offer better value than Flight 1. Is there any significant pros and cons between the two companies? Thanks for any guidance.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Gents,

I'm interested in these gauges as an aircraft I'm currently beta testing has multiple panel configurations that allows for the inclusion of:-

• Reality XP GNS530
  • GTN650 / 750 from Reality XP and Flight 1

Having zero knowledge of either I would like to add one to my aircraft. It's a jet with a ceiling of 50,000ft and cruise speed of Mach 0.82 for info.

A couple of questions...

1) Can the database of either be updated and if so via Navigraph or another source? If another is there a subscription?

2) Can a P3D flight plan be loaded directly into either? Is it capable of reading the one stored in P3D like Active Sky can? Or do they have custom flight plans? I do own PFPX if that helps.

The Reality XP ones are currently discounted so those offer better value than Flight 1. Is there any significant pros and cons between the two companies? Thanks for any guidance.

Let me try...

Re 1) yes, but only with Garmin navdata.  No reasonable cost subscription available.

2) If you can export your flightplan to GFP (Garmin Flightplan) format, you can import that plan into the GTN 750.  Little Navmap can do this (easily..)

3) Flight1 appears to have walked away from any real user support (check their support web site) and RXP is alive and kicking.. :happy:  Either unit will do the job if it works for you..

• Like 2

Bert

Thanks Bert. I checked PFPX but no Garmin option there. But that product hasn’t been supported by the author in a long time. I do have LNM. Pity the data appears locked. 😕

Is the terrain data worldwide for the Reality? Flight 1’s appears to be US only.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

50 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks Bert. I checked PFPX but no Garmin option there. But that product hasn’t been supported by the author in a long time. I do have LNM. Pity the data appears locked. 😕

Is the terrain data worldwide for the Reality? Flight 1’s appears to be US only.

Data comes with the Garmin Trainer.. so both versions show the same terrain.

Everything is worldwide, except for the airport charts which are regional, North America only as part of the package..

• Like 1

Bert

Excluding the whole world bar North America seems odd in this day and age.

I’ll need to give this some thought as I run Aivlasoft’s Electronic Flight Bag on a WideFS computer and it’s on a 27” monitor shared with LNM. And that gives me airport layouts for every airport in P3D.

I suppose if you only have the one computer and monitor the GTN750 is a nice addon. Not sure how much it would give me over what I already have.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

33 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Excluding the whole world bar North America seems odd in this day and age.

I’ll need to give this some thought as I run Aivlasoft’s Electronic Flight Bag on a WideFS computer and it’s on a 27” monitor shared with LNM. And that gives me airport layouts for every airport in P3D.

I suppose if you only have the one computer and monitor the GTN750 is a nice addon. Not sure how much it would give me over what I already have.

What can I say.. Garmin is a U.S. company :cool:

As for what it gives you.. it gives you the experience of flying with the latest Garmin avionics in your cockpit..

For many RW pilots, this allows them to do some of their IFR training on their desktop.  Some even in the actual airplane that they fly in real life... Cirrus, C182 etc

Creating and modifying flightplans on the GTN 750 itself is exactly what these aircraft owners do..

If this is not the kind of flying that you do, the GTN may indeed not be a good match.

Only you can tell.

Bert

Hi Bert, the aircraft I’m testing will be used but it’s not my first choice. The PMDG737 is and if I want to get anywhere fast, Concorde in P3D v3.

I meant no slight towards Garmin but it does seem odd they wouldn’t include all airports in its product if it’s the market leader.

I have a PC12 which I fly occasionally and that might take the Garmin but I think on reflection I’ll pass. Thanks for the info.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather