Sign in to follow this  
callegro

Thinking about moving to a gaming laptop P3d V4

Hi guys,

I have been out of the hardware game for a while because I have had an Ailenware Aurora for about 8 years. It finally gave out today. Just for space reasons, I was looking into gaming laptops. I was wondering if anyone has had any good reviews on these. I have been looking into Origin Laptops, I want something high end that can run P3d V4, high end add ons, Orbx, etc.

Suggestions?

Before all the purists pile in and warn you laptops are a dead end - I’ll tell you I got this one in December and am still thrilled. 

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/173-gigabyte-p57x-v7-cf2-fhd-ips-kaby-lake-i7-7700hq-8gb-gtx-1070-16gb-ddr4-ram-256gb-ssdplus1tb-hdd

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

I will suggest you STRONGLY not to go for a laptop. The grafic cards will just not render and you will be quickly frustrated. I ahve chosen to build a mini Gaming PC using the node304 box instead. Remeber you will need good hardware to run next headset generation.

• Upvote 1

That only took 30 minutes for a purist to step in telling laptops are not that great. Hello, wake up 2018 calling. There are better laptops these days then my gaming rig (4670k+1070). And yes, you can get 4+ GHz CPUs in laptops these days. 

Tell you something. I have FSX-SE running on 25fps on a 3 year old Surface Pro 3 TABLET. (1.9Ghz and intel graphics) in the QW757 VC with ORBX global and LCeurope with UK2000 scenery and soft clouds.  All sliders to the left... But it works and when I’m not at home or in the living room and want to make a flight it simply works. 

That said, I’m looking at the 7700HQ+1070 myself.

Maarten Otto

19.jpg

Hi Folks,

It's not that laptops are a dead end - or won't run with adequate performance - if space is tight or if you're moving locations often - it's probably the way to go... I still think CPU clock speed provides the best bang for your buck to increase performance and with substantial OC's comes a massive amount of heat that needs to be removed from the CPU... I just don't know how you would get all that heat out of a laptop case... In towers we use liquid cooling loops with radiators or massive heat sinks with large fans that take up a great deal of real estate to move large volumes of air...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I'm not knocking laptops, and it seems you can get some good ones for gaming, but unless someone specifically needs the portability of a laptop, I'd advise a desktop every time. You get more performance for your money and you have more upgrade and repair options.

• Upvote 1

I cant fit my 5 ssd in a lap top

• Upvote 1

ZORAN

I just "retired' a recent Alienware 17R4 laptop (i7 6700HQ / Nvidia 1070 / 16 GB RAM) for an i7 8700K OCd to 4.9GHZ / 1080 ti desktop because the laptop was not up to the job of running FlyInside VR to my liking.

If you ever plan to use VR, get a desktop, if not, then a high end laptop might work for you.

On 1/28/2018 at 6:09 PM, Dean33 said:

Before all the purists pile in and warn you laptops are a dead end - I’ll tell you I got this one in December and am still thrilled. 

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/173-gigabyte-p57x-v7-cf2-fhd-ips-kaby-lake-i7-7700hq-8gb-gtx-1070-16gb-ddr4-ram-256gb-ssdplus1tb-hdd

How can you afford a pc at that price?! I'm still browsing for p3dv4 compatible laptops with a max budget of £300 :O

£300?

I hate to be a damp squib, but you've simply not going to get anything new or second hand that's good enough for that. Sorry. Budget £500 and a decent end of line machine could just about handle it.

I went a bit O.T.T. Scan 3XS top of the range. 8700CPU @4.7ghz, GTX1080 GPU, 3TB of M.2 SSD and a 4K 17.3 screen. Great not only for gaming, but seemless with DCS or P3D in VR with all the add-ons I want.

Only downside is I could have bought a decent mid life car with the money.... with change.

The real problem with big gaming laptops is the way they are put together means you can't swap out certain components like the GPU. To fit a 2080 would require changing chassis. Not happy.

Edited by MarkJHarris

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!