Sign in to follow this  
Duncan Odgers

DXGI Prepar3d V4 Help!!

This thread should have been on Lockheed Martin's forums as it's time someone in charge took heed and started to look into this as it's occurances are increasing.  After a good 2 months of testing absolutely everything I finally posted in LM forums under their client application section as I do not believe I have defective hardware. The entire level of LM's Support was sadly to amalgamate it with some other post in the hardware section where they refused to even comment on.  I sense developers burying their heads in the sand.  I even got the crashes on an entirely default installation which warranted support as no other add on developer could be blamed 😞

Chris

• Like 1

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

I bet your OCed hardware is the culprit, turn the OC down a bit and the crashes are gone. Looks really like there is a burried head ....

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

32 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

I bet your OCed hardware is the culprit, turn the OC down a bit and the crashes are gone. Looks really like there is a burried head ....

Not sure if that was a reply to my post but one of my earliest tests was to remove my cpu overclock and underclock my 1080ti...both of which did absolutely nothing to fix DEVICE_HUNG crashes

Edited by cj-ibbotson
  • Like 1

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

5 hours ago, cj-ibbotson said:

Not sure if that was a reply to my post but one of my earliest tests was to remove my cpu overclock and underclock my 1080ti...both of which did absolutely nothing to fix DEVICE_HUNG crashes

I just cant imagine after all of these issues nobody from either side has been able to come up with a definitive solution. My delid kit for my 7820x is coming this week so I will use that opportunity to do a 100% clean and try this nonsense again. 

16 hours ago, JoeFackel said:

No, LM's or NVIDIA's poor excuse for a release candidates are the problem. Re-read what others have posted and you'll see OCs have been reduced with no luck.

Edited by garymcginnis

I've just got my computer back after a complete reseed of the CPU, RAM sticks, GPU and a new CMOS battery. The guy ran a weeks worth of diagnostic tests. If this continues, its definitely not on my end.

What is really annoying me about Lockheed is that they aren't even addressing that many users are having this issue according to reports above. I thought their whole point was to be open and help way back when they took over. This is an issue and sounding like FSDT (blaming others or ignoring) is definitely not being open and helpful.

I'm first going to try without HDR. Then if that doesn't work, I'm going to roll back to 357.57 or 375.75 (iirc) as that was the BEST driver for FSX and my card I ever had. If that fails, I'm going to make a craigslist add and post it here 🙂

Edited by garymcginnis

6 minutes ago, garymcginnis said:

I've just got my computer back after a complete reseed of the CPU, RAM sticks, GPU and a new CMOS battery. The guy ran a weeks worth of diagnostic tests. If this continues, its definitely not on my end.

What is really annoying me about Lockheed is that they aren't even addressing that many users are having this issue according to reports above. I thought their whole point was to be open and help way back when they took over. This is an issue and sounding like FSDT (blaming others or ignoring) is definitely not being open and helpful.

I'm first going to try without HDR. Then if that doesn't word, I'm going to roll back to 375.75 (iirc) as that was the BEST driver for FSX and my card I ever had. If that fails, I'm going to make a craigslist add and post it here 🙂

Good luck Gary. If it fails try what worked for me and reduce Power Limit slider in Afterburner to 70%. Tired of commenting now on various threads as I felt I went through hell doing absolutely everything to overcome this error and the power limit setting is the only positive I've found. I'm a member of a number of Prepar3D Facebook groups and DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG (or Reset) crashes are posted every day or two by users. It's a major problem that LM, MS and nVidia are ignoring

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

On 9/23/2018 at 3:17 PM, cj-ibbotson said:

This thread should have been on Lockheed Martin's forums as it's time someone in charge took heed and started to look into this as it's occurances are increasing. 

It is being discussed at Lockheed - https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6315&t=130051&start=30

My understanding it is caused by overclocking.  It could be related to trying to overclock your video card or you changed a setting on your video card using one of the video card tweakers from MSI or others.  If you have the MSI tweaker, return settings to default and uninstall the tweaker and see if this fixes the problem.  This happens to just a certain group of people.  I have not seen the error yet and I have been simming for years and recently built a new system.  Others gamers who have never ever used P3D and received this error have indicated a bad overclock of the video card is the culprit.  So this is not a P3D issue but a hardware issue.  It is not a driver issue because everyone who installed that driver would have this crash.  It is not just related to Nvidia cards but also video cards from AMD.  The only logical cause is your video card.  Check to make sure the fans on the card are all running.  Make sure none of the video card BIOS settings have been changed with any utility like that from MSI or ASUS or Gigabyte.  Make sure the video card is getting enough power.  I use two power cables to power my video card (as recommended on the Internet). 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

That provides 0 help since I don't use any of those tuners. The card is factory overclocked. I have touched nothing. The fans don't spin since the card never reaches the threshold for them to kick on. The power delivery is a monster with 2 8 pin and a 6 pin.

I mean what an I suppose to do? Severely down clock this card? If that's the case, that is ridiculous.

Edited by garymcginnis
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

It is being discussed at Lockheed - https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6315&t=130051&start=30

My understanding it is caused by overclocking.  It could be related to trying to overclock your video card or you changed a setting on your video card using one of the video card tweakers from MSI or others.  If you have the MSI tweaker, return settings to default and uninstall the tweaker and see if this fixes the problem.  This happens to just a certain group of people.  I have not seen the error yet and I have been simming for years and recently built a new system.  Others gamers who have never ever used P3D and received this error have indicated a bad overclock of the video card is the culprit.  So this is not a P3D issue but a hardware issue.  It is not a driver issue because everyone who installed that driver would have this crash.  It is not just related to Nvidia cards but also video cards from AMD.  The only logical cause is your video card.  Check to make sure the fans on the card are all running.  Make sure none of the video card BIOS settings have been changed with any utility like that from MSI or ASUS or Gigabyte.  Make sure the video card is getting enough power.  I use two power cables to power my video card (as recommended on the Internet). 

Best regards,

Jim

Yes that link includes my post asking for support on LM Forums.  I have tested my video card at default settings, I have also tested it at stock base clock speeds eg non factory overclocked, I have also tested at non cpu overclock...ALL default speeds and it still crashed.  I have also ran tests with NO software installed except a fresh install of Windows 10, the same with Windows 8.1 and a fresh default install of P3D and again it kept crashing with Device_Hung.  Not so much chat on Avsim about these crashes but on Facebook groups its a completely different story.  Yes my gpu has two power cables and fans work fine.  100s of people cannot have faulty graphics cards or power supplies.

Chris

Edited by cj-ibbotson
  • Like 1

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

Think you need to get a new video card as you have done everything possible except that.  Since you did test it at stock base clock speeds (non-factory overclock), you have messed with the settings.  It would be interesting to see what would happen if you could install another video card.  In any case tried to help. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Here the same.

That’s definitely a combination between latest nvidia drivers and certain GPU.

My PCs runs like a charm at 4K full details whatever game and my 1080ti performs perfectly with dozens of games but P3D where, starting in the last weeks, I see the error in the OP title.

Guys, don’t blame anything inside your rig or OS but the above mentioned random combination.

We are in the same boat and only LM + Nvidia can save us from this pathetic bug.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

Think you need to get a new video card as you have done everything possible except that.  Since you did test it at stock base clock speeds (non-factory overclock), you have messed with the settings.  It would be interesting to see what would happen if you could install another video card.  In any case tried to help. 

Thanks, I typed a reply an hour ago, posted it and noticed an error so corrected it but it appeared to have failed to post when I checked a moment ago and its vanished.  I cant do like for like tests as the only other card I have in the house is an old GTX 480 so all settings would be lower plus different monitor connections and load on the pc.  I dont know anyone with a pc as we are a dying breed.  I am not returning a £720 card to the supplier (at my own courier expense) and be without for weeks for them to say it works fine since they will benchmark and stress test it just as I have done without any faults.  If there was just a few users reporting this then I might believe its simply my system but given I can throw everything at it with other games and my business using Photoshop plus the fact 100s of others are reporting this fault on FB leaves me extremely sceptical.  We all have different cards, different motherboards and cpus.  Even using different drivers and versions of Windows but what is the common factor amongst us all...Prepar3D

Chris

• Like 1

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

24 minutes ago, Mark II said:

24 minutes ago, Mark II said:

Here the same.

That’s definitely a combination between latest nvidia drivers and certain GPU.

I tried about 15 drivers and 4 OS installs, one of which was a March 17 build of W10 and a driver from same period. All Windows and nVidia drivers disabled via Group Policy, fresh install of P3D4.3 and it still crashed exactly as before so it can't be a recent system update. Completely random locations and duration between crashes too

Edited by cj-ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson