Sign in to follow this  
sddjd

Time to move to 4.2?

I'm currently running 4.1 with no complaints (aside from ESENT, but that's another story). I use Rift some of the time for takeoff/landing. Addons are primarily comprised of v4 compatible items such as FTX, a few ORBX airports, FlyTampa, and ASky. I have UTII installed and working also.

My general question is with regard to users' experience in migrating to v4.2, updating the client and/or content, or going for a full purge and reinstall of P3d and all add-ons (I have quite a few but not yet so many that I would rule out reinstalling them to be a ground-up "clean" state). 

Are some of the bugs of which I've read impacted by update vs full reinstall, etc? Better to hold off in others' opinion or go for it....? Thanks!

Dan Dominik                                                                           

"I thought you said your dog does not bite....
                                                                That's not my dog."

IMHO you should wait for next HF or v4.3 than make a clean install!

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

I finally updated to 4.2 using the uninstall/install individual compoment method and so far no problems. The CRJ 4.2 only update was the major motivation for the change. So far, no problems. 

Mike McWilliams

Asus Rog Maximus XI Extreme motherboard, Intel i9-9900ks CPU, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 TI video card, G.Skill  TridentZDDR4 32GB SDRAM, Samsung NVMe SSD 970 1TB

4.2 is buggy in my opinion.. but I would rather have a sim that is constantly improving and adding new things, yet may have some bugs. 

It's a trade off. If you want a program that is constantly adding new things, there are going to be bugs once in awhile. 

I went to 4.1 but went back to 4.0 because of the blurrys. I may try 4.2 to see if there are any problems on my pc..why not install 4.2 client before a full install? It may be just as good as 4.1. Without a full install..

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

My opinion, if you happy with what you have don't change anything.

My observations are that for the last few updates besides the incompatibility with different software they keep on braking different features. I don't mind them adding new things, but braking something that was working before it's real bad business. 

On the other note if you go on their support forum they will answer only to a few issues that is more convenient for them, then their answer would be like "So it appears to already be a known issue", even it's and old issue like from Version 2. 

As I mentioned before, like many other customers I spend thousands of $ in this hobby,  I'm at the point where I have to make a decision which for sure is not on their favor, like many other developers getting tired of their broken updates.

I sincerely hope that someone at P3D will see the problems, there is lots of potential for them.

• Upvote 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Thanks all for the replies. killtehspam nailed the crux of my concerns, so will likely stick with 4.1 until I run into something that requires a move to the next version.

Dan Dominik                                                                           

"I thought you said your dog does not bite....
                                                                That's not my dog."

Forthcoming Aerosoft airbus will require 4.2 and higher. 

Milviz Phantom and B55 both need 4.2.  Won't work in 4.1.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

An interesting question, and more so since I discovered the ATC bug in 4.2. I think it was worth it, notwithstanding a certain bugginess already mentioned.

One of the things at the back of my mind is what seems to be a bit of withdrawal from interaction with hobbyists as a user base than once was. Maybe I am wrong, but it just seems that way when reading into their silence.

Still a whole lot better attitude than we were used to from Microsoft with their FS team.

Maybe it's just me, never mind! :)

Kind regards,

Stephen

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, vp49p3 said:

Milviz Phantom and B55 both need 4.2.  Won't work in 4.1.

My Milviz B55 works in 4.1

2 hours ago, SpiritFlyer said:

One of the things at the back of my mind is what seems to be a bit of withdrawal from interaction with hobbyists as a user base than once was. Maybe I am wrong, but it just seems that way when reading into their silence.

When was this 'interaction' I must have missed it. Maybe I was taking a nap. :huh:

Stephen, It IS just you. Fuggeddaboudid. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

1 hour ago, Ron Attwood said:

When was this 'interaction' I must have missed it. Maybe I was taking a nap. :huh:

Stephen, It IS just you. Fuggeddaboudid. :biggrin:

When you blinked your eyes somewhere between versions 2 and 3, or was it before or after, somewhere in there I think,

but then again, what do I know since I can't remember? :cool:

How are you Ron?

Kind regards,

Stephen

2 hours ago, Les Parson said:

My Milviz B55 works in 4.1

Mine won't.  Crashes P3d every time.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Just my experience...4.1 gave me a bad case of the blurries...4.2 gave me a bad case of the stutters...so...I've gone back to 4.0 and now I'm a happy simmer again.....Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.