king1706

Prepar3d Resolution in 4K TV

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hope someone can help me I just moved from the three monitor business to a one TV screen which is much better after just installing it. 

My question if anyone using the same what are the tweaks and resolutions I should be using for better performance. I did not experience any issues and I have been flying for two day except my PMDG front console is so big I have to keep zooming out a lot to view different areas like MCDU, radios ...etc 

Is there any way to minimize the view without compromising on the font size I can now ready every gadget easily even without glasses :) 

I appreciate the help. I use chase plan for my camera and I am using prepar3d V4.2 . My TV monitor is Samsung 40" 1080 p and LED I am connected to the HDMI2 /DVI 

 

Many Thanks 

Amr Guindy

Edited by king1706

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You can move your eyepoint back, and decrease the zoom ratio to something like 0.6 - 0.7 to get a wider field of view.  Camera view managers like OpusFSI and EZDok make this pretty simple, as well as allowing preset camera views for commmonly-used areas of the panel, like the console, overhead etc.

Just be careful not to move the eyepoint too far back, as getting it behind the plane of the seat can cause some issues in some panels.

Regards

 

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the tip 

appreciated 

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, king1706 said:

My TV monitor is Samsung 40" 1080 p and LED I am connected to the HDMI2 /DVI 

So is your TV monitor a 1080p  or a 4K as mentioned in our title ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

A 1080p HD monitor has a resolution of 1920x1080, a 4k monitor has four times the amount of pixels and runs at a resolution of 3840x2160 :smile: Veeeery different.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the responses my TV is Samsung LED 1080 HD , 40” 

regards 

Amr Guindy 

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:26 AM, king1706 said:

Hope someone can help me I just moved from the three monitor business to a one TV screen which is much better after just installing it. 

My question if anyone using the same what are the tweaks and resolutions I should be using for better performance. I did not experience any issues and I have been flying for two day except my PMDG front console is so big I have to keep zooming out a lot to view different areas like MCDU, radios ...etc 

Is there any way to minimize the view without compromising on the font size I can now ready every gadget easily even without glasses :) 

I appreciate the help. I use chase plan for my camera and I am using prepar3d V4.2 . My TV monitor is Samsung 40" 1080 p and LED I am connected to the HDMI2 /DVI 

 

Many Thanks 

Amr Guindy

Can you elaborate a bit on why you believe the single 40" is better than the 3-monitor setup? I've used the latter for years and while I am very accustomed to it, the bezel issue is always a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Les 

yes same here lots of configuration to get the best out of it also aligning all the screen together had been a nightmare to get a beautiful look for the sim screen. 

I am happy now with the TV one time mounting no visual issues at all everything is clear and sharp so far my only problem is as I mentioned is the screen is zoomed in my cabin so I have to use a lot of zoom in and zoom out to get the size that I can control and also see all my guadgets 

someone posted before about adjusting the zoom screen in the resolution option but I forgot how to do it 

Regards 

Amr 

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry forget to mention I used the 3 monitors since 2011 and I will never go back to monitors again 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, king1706 said:

someone posted before about adjusting the zoom screen in the resolution option but I forgot how to do it 

You can click the 'wideviewaspect ratio' option to OFF in the options/graphics page and your default zoom will be wider. It doesn't really make any difference, it's the same as just zooming out more.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, king1706 said:

Hi Les 

yes same here lots of configuration to get the best out of it also aligning all the screen together had been a nightmare to get a beautiful look for the sim screen. 

I am happy now with the TV one time mounting no visual issues at all everything is clear and sharp so far my only problem is as I mentioned is the screen is zoomed in my cabin so I have to use a lot of zoom in and zoom out to get the size that I can control and also see all my guadgets 

someone posted before about adjusting the zoom screen in the resolution option but I forgot how to do it 

Regards 

Amr 

Amr, 

Thanks for the info. I' have looked at going back to single monitor a few times but always backed down when considering differences in field of view. The problem I have is I've never been able to view a good video or real life test single vs. 3-monitor standing side-by-side. 

Share this post


Link to post

Its all about the number of pixels and pixel density (pixels/inch). The number of pixels in a monitor determines the field of view per a specific sim zoom settting. Not the monitor of TV size. The pixel density determines how large the images are and how crisp. I'll try to explain. My first LCD monitor was a 19" 1280 x 1024. After awhile I decided I wanted a larger field of view so I got two more and set them up with Nvidia surround so I had one effective 3840 x 1024 wide monitor. My field of view horizontally tripled. My FPS suffered about 25% but it was well worth it. There was no going back to that single small monitor. After more time passed I wanted more vertical field of view and the bezels were really bothering me. It always seemed that a gauge or switch I needed to access was behind a bezel. I did some research and discovered that a 4k TV would give me the same horizontal field of view (3840) as my triple monitor and it would double my vertical field of view (2160). I wanted the on screen text, images, gauges, etc. to be the same size as with my triple monitor setup. This is where the pixel density comes in. I measured the width of my triple monitor screens and bought a TV that had the same total width. This ended up being a 55" TV. I again got exactly what I was hoping for. I can now see out the windscreen and see almost my whole panel without having to pan or zoom in and the bezels are gone. I was also happy to find out that my FPS was not affected by going to the 4k TV with double the resolution. The only explanation that I can speculate is that running triple monitors uses more FPS than a single monitor. 

The larger the TV, the smaller the pixel density, the less crisp the image will be, and the higher AA levels you may have to use. The smaller the TV, the higher the pixel density, the more crisp the image, and the lower AA levels you may have to use. Sounds like a smaller TV is better, easy! Not so fast grasshopper! With the smaller TV comes a smaller image which means smaller gauges and print, forcing you to zoom in to see them. That's the trade-off. A very large TV will allow you to place it further from you to mitigate the large pixel sizes, a smaller TV you will have to sit closer to.

Another thing to consider for those that wear reading glasses while simming is by getting a very large TV and placing it further from you, you may discover that you no longer need to wear those reading glasses while flying. What I suggest to those interested in getting a 4k TV for use as a monitor is to get a 3840 x 2160 size screenshot of your panel and windscreen view and take that to a TV store on a USB stick. The salesmen should be happy to insert it into a few TVs and so you can see what your panel view would be like on each TV. That will help you decide what size TV is optimal for yourself.

Ted     

Share this post


Link to post

Ted, 

Thanks so much for your very valuable info. I will proceed as you suggest and conduct some research. I have 3 x 24 Dell monitors providing 5760 X 1080 using Nvidia surround with a GTX 980 card; running P3DV4.1 W10/64. I run settings backed off including AI traffic without any FPS issues. My monitor width is 63" (3x21). 

Might I ask your details including type/make of your 55" 4K TV?

Many thanks again. 

Les Parson

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ted Striker said:

The number of pixels in a monitor determines the field of view per a specific sim zoom settting. Not the monitor of TV size.

Actually this is wrong. The actual field of view - the number of degrees your monitor takes up from where you are sitting - is obviously dependent on how big the monitor is. The virtual field of view - how much of the virtual world P3D projects onto your monitor - is only dependent on the zoom factor (well, and the setting of the 'WideViewAspect Ratio' check box). If WVA is off, when zoom is 1.0 your virtual FOV in the horizontal direction is 34 degrees regardless of the resolution or the physical size of the screen. If WVA is on, your virtual FOV is 34 degrees in the vertical direction and the horizontal FOV depends on the shape of your monitor. If you arrange for the virtual FOV to be the same as the actual FOV everything will look life-sized.

I suppose what you really mean is that when you increase the horizontal resolution of your monitor you expect to see an increase in the virtual FOV. But this is only so if you are increaing the aspect ratio, it has nothing to do with the resolution (assuming WVA is off). If, for example, you change from a 32" 1080p monitor to a 4K monitor you will see no difference in the virtual FOV.

Edited by MarkDH

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, MarkDH said:

Actually this is wrong.

It won't be the first time for me. :laugh:  Perhaps I used the wrong terminology or did in fact change my zoom when changing monitors. I don't recall doing this, but it was a long time ago. The bottom line is the display I had on my single 19" screen was the same as I had on the center monitor on the triple monitor setup. Adding two monitors just widened what I could see on both sides so I didn't have to pan back and forth as much. I had a similar result when I went to the 4k monitor. The horizontal view was the same on the 4k as it was on the triple monitor, but I could see twice as much vertically which drastically reduced the up/down scrolling I had to while flying. I do not remember the depth of field changing and the size/clarity of the instruments remained the same. I apologize if I used the wrong terms in describing my experience. I hope I have not confused poeple more than I have helped.

Ted

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now