Sign in to follow this  
jmig

Win 10 Home or Pro

I am ordering components for a new i8700 based PD3 computer. In the past I have always gone with the Pro version of Windows, although I can not for the life of me remember why. So, my question is do I need to order the Pro version or will the Home version work for a PD3 build? I do, on occasion, fly online. However, other than a Home network, I will not be doing anything else with it, other than flight simulation.

Thanks,

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

John - You are absolutely fine with the Home version.  I always buy the Pro version, and don't have a technical reason why.  I guess it boosts my self-esteem since it makes me feel like a pro.  : )  All kidding aside, though, the Home version is fine.  The Lockheed recommended system requirements just says Windows 10 x64 and doesn't specify Home or Pro.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

11 hours ago, dmiannay said:

John - You are absolutely fine with the Home version.  I always buy the Pro version, and don't have a technical reason why.  I guess it boosts my self-esteem since it makes me feel like a pro.  : )  All kidding aside, though, the Home version is fine.  The Lockheed recommended system requirements just says Windows 10 x64 and doesn't specify Home or Pro.

Thanks Doug,

I noticed in your setup that you are using the ASUS Maximus X Hero MB. How do you like it. That is the board I have decided to purchase.

John
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

21 minutes ago, jmig said:

I noticed in your setup that you are using the ASUS Maximus X Hero MB. How do you like it. That is the board I have decided to purchase.

John - I went with ASUS for my first PC build many years ago and have been very pleased with their products... they've served me very well.  The Maximus X Hero continues that trend.  Very detailed overclocking features and support for the 4000Hz RAM I'm using.  I'm also a big fan of the pre-mounted I/O shield... installation is much easier, and it looks far more professional.  There are definitely equivalent MBs from other top-line companies, but ASUS fits the bill for me.  I think you'll be very happy with the Hero.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

One thing the Pro version does that the Home version does not is allow you to disable automatic Windows updates (via the registry).  If I had it to do over again, I'd probably go with the Pro version for that feature alone.  Disabling auto-updating is an ongoing gun battle in the Home version.  There have been several bad forced updates that broke P3D and required a lot of work to go back and fix.

Regards

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Yep, M$ forcing updates is a major error on their part with their "two steps forward, one step back" way of life.

Edited by Boomer

spacer.png

The pro version has higher security and connectivity capabilities of the type that are of more interest to business. There are ways to turn off updates in the home version, some more effective than others. 

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

25 minutes ago, bobbyjack said:

The pro version has higher security and connectivity capabilities of the type that are of more interest to business. There are ways to turn off updates in the home version, some more effective than others. 

The only means I have been able to find that consistently block automatic updates in the Home version are external to Windows, not "in" Windows, per se...OO Software's OOShutup utility, for example.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I am currently running the Pro version. It only allows you to delay for 30 days. So far, knock on wood, MS Windows hasn't FUBARed my PD3 setup. I can delay the updates by pulling the Internet cable out of the computer.

Thank you to everyone who commented on my question. I appreciate your views.

John

WU can be disables in Services. There seems to be some disagreement on how long it is before it turns itself back on. As an experiment, I've turned off WU and set it for ten days. 

Bob

22 hours ago, bobbyjack said:

WU can be disables in Services.

Disabling the service will certainly stop the updates but it's potentially a very bad idea. This also disables all of the security and critical updates which potentially keep your system safe when you go online. It's easy to set Windows Update to ONLY download security and critical updates and ignore all of the rest (including driver updates). Last year's WannaCry ransomware attack should have taught everyone who goes online how risky it can be not to keep your OS updated.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Turning of OS updates is possible BUT as Microsoft stated at the start of windows 10, windows 10 will be supported for life no more new windows OS but in order to get updates for life your OS you must keep windows up to date, or after given time not stated your OS will be dropped from life support, you will still get security updates but may miss out on patches for future third party software that may address issues.

So the choice is your windows 10 or move to another OS.

PS if you think Microsoft is intrusive I hope you have deleted FB , Google software , and thrown your apple devises in the bin , and stay away from APPs on your phone and PC. 

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 18/04/2018 at 9:46 AM, vortex681 said:

Disabling the service will certainly stop the updates but it's potentially a very bad idea. This also disables all of the security and critical updates which potentially keep your system safe when you go online. It's easy to set Windows Update to ONLY download security and critical updates and ignore all of the rest (including driver updates). Last year's WannaCry ransomware attack should have taught everyone who goes online how risky it can be not to keep your OS updated.

Oh, I'm not in favor of turning off updates. I only mentioned it because there were rumblings that they couldn't be turned off in Home.

Bob