Sign in to follow this  
Thomas Andersen

My experience in P3D of upgrading from a 4790K to 8700K system

6 hours ago, ZLA Steve said:

Mark, try this website - Overclock[.]Net

You'll find lots of help there. Overclocking is as much an art as it is a science so stay patient and stick with it.

I have been on there and followed the guide but no joy so far.  It may be that I am not pushing the volts high enough.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

1 hour ago, GolfMikeBravo said:

I recently built a new system with an 8700K.  I highly recommend purchasing the CPU from Silicon Lottery.  Each CPU they sell has been tested and binned for a particular overclock speed.  The faster the speed, the higher the cost.  Plus they delid the processor before shipping.  I purchased  an 8700 tested and guaranteed to run stable at 5.0 GHz at a vcore of 1.40v.  I have it overclocked at 5.0 GHz at a vcore of 1.38v, and it runs stable and rock solid.  It also runs cool under load due to the delidding, with max. core temps at 100% load for all cores on the order of 55 degrees C with liquid cooling.  I am running with HT off.  From now on, I will only purchase processors from them.  I believe there is a similar company selling delidded and binned processors in Europe, but I don't recall their name.

Cheers, Gerald

Jetline gets their processors from Silicon Lottery as well. An interesting explanation of what Jetline does on top of what they get from Silicon Lottery here:

I'm turning into a crotchety old bollox and I think that if I upgraded my i7 4770K to a i7 8700K I'd have to be a bleeding mental case!

I also got myself a delidded, pre-tested 8700K. Otherwise, 5.0GHz would not have been possible for me, as I do not have a watercooling solution and I am no fan of those AiO Watercoolers. My 8700K was pretested for 1.380V, that's what I use now, cooled with a Noctua NH-U14S in a Carbide 500R case. In Germany, you get those processors for example from Caseking (with a "der8auer" tag). I got mine in Switzerland via private seller who finally did not wanted to upgrade anymore for about the same prize as a regular 8700K (lucky me).

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

14 hours ago, MarkW said:

@AnkH - Please post your bios settings. 

As mentioned, my CPU is delidded and pre-tested for 1.380V. I use the BIOS settings you find in this video (it's german, but you can check the BIOS settings anyway). Only thing I changed afterwards: I put a fixed value (instead of "auto") for VCCIO and System Agent voltages (would need to check if you want the numbers).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLlTlCl0rNs&t=703s

BTW: yes, I use exactly the same mainboard, ASUS Maximus X Hero.

Edited by AnkH

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

57 minutes ago, AnkH said:

As mentioned, my CPU is delidded and pre-tested for 1.380V. I use the BIOS settings you find in this video (it's german, but you can check the BIOS settings anyway). Only thing I changed afterwards: I put a fixed value (instead of "auto") for VCCIO and System Agent voltages (would need to check if you want the numbers).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLlTlCl0rNs&t=703s

BTW: yes, I use exactly the same mainboard, ASUS Maximus X Hero.

I too used this video a couple of weeks ago to overclock my new i5 8600k on the Maximus X Hero with some Corsair 3200MHz RAM and was able to get a stable 5GHz overclock at 1.35v straight off the bat.  Cooling is air, a Noctua NH-D15S.

I'd recommend anyone with a similar setup try the video, he also did the same video spoken in English which is something he's done with loads of his videos.  Another useful resource is the Asus ROG forum for anyone running an Asus motherboard, I used that back when I clocked my old i5 3570K to 4.6GHz on an Asus p8-z77.

edited to add that this is a just a retail boxed CPU from my local computer shop, and I've not de-lidded.  

Cheers

Edited by StChalky

Stu Bevis

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg PC: i5 8600K @ 5.0GHz, Asus Maximus X Hero, Corsair 16GB @ 3200MHz, EVGA GTX970SC

10 hours ago, GolfMikeBravo said:

I believe there is a similar company selling delidded and binned processors in Europe, but I don't recall their name.

That will be OCUK Overclockers dot co dot uk. 

Binned chips are expensive though, is 200-300 mhz really worth £200-£300 ? 

Only you can decide....

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

5 hours ago, djbully said:

Only you can decide....

Caseking.de as well, seeing as they own Overclockers now. I got mine from Caseking 🙂

And pre-delided with warranty is absolutely worth it, plus the bonus of being 100% sure you're hitting your desired number.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

15 hours ago, djbully said:

Only you can decide....

The price difference is not that much in the U.S.  Currently, Silicon Lottery has the 5.0 GHz 8700K processors listed at $430 (although they are currently sold out).  Newegg.com currently sells the 8700K for $350.  Only $80 difference for a binned and delidded processor (roughly £60 difference).  In my opinion, that is a very reasonable difference.  Please note that the cost difference is higher if you want to purchase a 5.1 GHz or 5.2 GHz binned processor.

Gerald

On 5/16/2018 at 6:35 AM, Justplanegames said:

I am myself looking at getting the i7 8700K later in the year. Good to see that its work the £250+.

I have an i7 2600K so I should see a significant jump!

I went from an i7 2700K to an i7 8700K and yes you can expect good things.

I think we're all still a little bit bedeviled by London, or LA, or Tokyo with a complex aircraft...but they're at least workable with the overclocked 8700K + 1080Ti combo.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I went a similar route, though I decided on an i5-8600K that had been binned and delidded to run at 5.1GHz at 1.39V Vcore. I still think the i7-2700K was a storming CPU, but the performance I get on a 2.5K monitor run by a GTX1070Ti is phenomenal in comparison. I still haven't anywhere near installed all that I had previously, but I am a little more choosy these days. Fact is, the upgrade was not cheap but worth it in my mind...

A

Dunno. People paying thousands of pounds for an upgrade and then giving out 20%-30% increases. If you were seeing 20fps before you are now seeing 24-26fps for all that money. Even if your fps was originally higher its not that different.

Its the reason why I am still on my i5 3570k.

Edited by sanh

15 hours ago, Mace said:

I think we're all still a little bit bedeviled by London, or LA, or Tokyo with a complex aircraft...but they're at least workable with the overclocked 8700K + 1080Ti combo.

but that's not the cpu or gfx fault it's whats been left over from fsx into P3D. Why do people think P3Dv4 is some magic pill to save them from the terrible sink holes left from fsx

It's got jack word not allowed to do with your CPU or gfx card. 

It's like when easyjet call themselve a 'hybrid' airline, their low cost but pretending to be like BA, when really they just like Ryanair. Low-cost. 

It's the same with P3Dv4, deep down its fsx with a few extras added on.  But it's still fsx with all the sink holes, awful ai optimisation and most of the bugs that fsx had. 

Sure you can now fly from EGLL to Klax without an Oom but instead  I'll will just stutter like crazy now instead if you put too many trees, autogen, night lighting, ai etc etc.  Same hooker different dress.  It's a hybrid fsx 

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

I also jumped from a 4770K (4.6GHz) to a 7700K (5GHz) and then to a 8700K (5.2GHz)... The difference between the 4770K and the 7700K was noticeable... The 8700K doesn't give you more FPS... it's all about smoothness...

Just to give my 2 cents... I'm sharing with you all my settings for a 5.2GHz OC using XMP profile @ 4133MHz.

https://imageshack.com/a/img921/8463/Xf3iZl.jpg

https://imageshack.com/a/img922/424/75Ba0q.jpg

https://imageshack.com/a/img923/1752/vRgP5N.jpg

And for a great finish... a few pictures of my pc...

https://imageshack.com/a/img923/190/40Tbr3.jpg

https://imageshack.com/a/img922/5563/QT3EoB.jpg

EDIT: for some reason the pictures are not shown when inserted as a URL.... so here are the direct links...

Edited by Dexter1979
Pictures not showing
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel i9 13900KS - MSI MEG Z790 ACE Gaming - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - Corsair 32GB DDR5 7200MHz Dominator Platinum RGB - Samsung 1TB + 3x 2TB 980 Pro M.2 SSD Raid 0 - LG 4K 55" OLED C1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 PSU - Virpil Constellation Alpha L & R Grips + MongoosT-50CM2 Grip + MongoosT-50CM2 Base + MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle + Control Panel #2 + Ace Collection Pedals - Honeycomb Alpha XPC + Bravo - Stream Deck XL + PLUS - Corsair K100 OPX RGB Platinum + Nightsword RGB + MM800 RGB Polaris + 7000D Airflow Black Case - Tobii Eye Tracker 5 using OpenTrack - Wharfedale Evo 4.2 Speakers - SVS SB-2000 Pro Subwoofer - Bluesound POWERNODE - Herman Miller Embody Chair Black - ButtKicker Gamer PRO

Thanks dexter. Do you use j

Hyper threading on or off please? 

14ppkc-6.png