Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

FFPS:FFTF question

I guess fighting blurries close or above those alps or FTX SAK/NZ at 12/14000 during descend might come in handy with FFTF dynamic as well

Thanks

Michael  Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

1 hour ago, Michael Moe said:

I guess fighting blurries close or above those alps or FTX SAK/NZ at 12/14000 during descend might come in handy with FFTF dynamic as well

Thanks

Michael  Moe

That's exactly where it is needed most imo. Anyone tested it this area (e.g. FTX Valdez approach)?

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

33 minutes ago, Nemo said:

That's exactly where it is needed most imo. Anyone tested it this area (e.g. FTX Valdez approach)?

I did test it with FTX Global + Justsim Innsbruck /  Digital Design Salzburg during winter. Also tested it when FTX Global + As Zurich Pro. The extra time for terrain loading helped my pc to show the mountains sharper when flying above them. And when flying the Innsbruck approach it helped with building up the 3D objects  faster by using the lower FFtF value.   

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I still don't quite understand what the FFTF value does.  FWIW I tested using lower values in heavy areas and didn't notice much of a difference performance or texture loading wise, although I wasn't looking at anything specific.  For me, I run with locked frames when I can at 25 to match my refresh rate, but in the heavy areas I have to run unlimited to be able to hit 25.  This results in some blurries.  What I tend to do which is a bit of a pain is switch to unlimited for takeoff/landing and run locked any other time to help with texture loading.  Would this program automatically set the best choice for me with regards to limited/unlimited FPS and the associated FFTF value so I can just worry about simming and not constantly changing my settings?

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

57 minutes ago, GSalden said:

I did test it with FTX Global + Justsim Innsbruck /  Digital Design Salzburg during winter. Also tested it when FTX Global + As Zurich Pro. The extra time for terrain loading helped my pc to show the mountains sharper when flying above them. And when flying the Innsbruck approach it helped with building up the 3D objects  faster by using the lower FFtF value.   

Thanks for this information, Gerard. I see that our systems are comparable except that you have a 1080Ti VC. So I should benefit from that tool too, right? With 12 or 14 (?) physical cores, do you use HT?

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

Thanks for this information, Gerard. I see that our systems are comparable except that you have a 1080Ti VC. So I should benefit from that tool too, right? With 12 or 14 (?) physical cores, do you use HT?

At this moment I do not use HT. I should be using it as it is better than no HT , but now I can have the main P3D thread core running at 4.7 Ghz while when using HT on I can only go up to 4.5 Ghz. The advantage of HT is lost by that.

As I have just built my new pc my main goal is having my real size 737-800 cockpit work again.

After that I will focus on HT again.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, sfgiants13 said:

I still don't quite understand what the FFTF value does.  FWIW I tested using lower values in heavy areas and didn't notice much of a difference performance or texture loading wise, although I wasn't looking at anything specific.  For me, I run with locked frames when I can at 25 to match my refresh rate, but in the heavy areas I have to run unlimited to be able to hit 25.  This results in some blurries.  What I tend to do which is a bit of a pain is switch to unlimited for takeoff/landing and run locked any other time to help with texture loading.  Would this program automatically set the best choice for me with regards to limited/unlimited FPS and the associated FFTF value so I can just worry about simming and not constantly changing my settings?

Using Uimited means a FFTF of 0.01 .

Locked is much heavier on the system is because focus is on frames with the same distance between them . That results in more smoothness.

With my 5820 I ran a locked franerate of 20 !  That was smoother than unlimited + external framerate limiter ...

A few post ago I did put a link to the FSPS site where very clear has been described how to set it up best...

2 hours ago, sfgiants13 said:

so I can just worry about simming and not constantly changing my settings

That's what I do. I stopped bothering with FFTF and other fancy abbreviations that are related to P3D configs a long, long time ago and I've never been happier with P3D. I settled for some settings (simply using the settings screens in P3D) that gave me a nice and acceptable performance in various situations and never changed a setting ever since. I am happy not having to think about those FSX-related tweaks anymore and I certainly won't spend a dime on any addon that is related to those settings too. Do I sometimes see a stutter or a late loading texture? Sure! But I am too busy flying to bother about that.

Obviously I am happy for everyone who is loving this addon and similar ones but I prefer to fly. I just spend an awesome hour and a half in my beloved Majestic Q400 above Norway with AS weather and SF clouds and boy.... the idea of having to waste that time on tweak related stuff... yikes.

You simply have to decide not to be bothered with it anymore and from then on you can enjoy flying. As you should. Having a plane that keeps you busy, like the Q400, also helps btw! :happy:

Edited by Guest

Hi Jeroen,

No argument there, but please take a moment to spare a sympathetic thought for those who cannot resist the temptation to fiddle with the earnest expectation of coaxing the most out of their investment...LOL! 

We all tweak to a greater or lesser extent even if we choose to venture no further than the settings offered by the P3D GUI. On-the-fly dynamic manipulation of the FFTF value, as dictated by changing demands, is an intriguing idea. It is based on previously known positive results and is certainly deserving of serious consideration and further testing by the community.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, J van E said:

That's what I do. I stopped bothering with FFTF and other fancy abbreviations that are related to P3D configs a long, long time ago and I've never been happier with P3D. I settled for some settings (simply using the settings screens in P3D) that gave me a nice and acceptable performance in various situations and never changed a setting ever since. I am happy not having to think about those FSX-related tweaks anymore and I certainly won't spend a dime on any addon that is related to those settings too. Do I sometimes see a stutter or a late loading texture? Sure! But I am too busy flying to bother about that.

Obviously I am happy for everyone who is loving this addon and similar ones but I prefer to fly. I just spend an awesome hour and a half in my beloved Majestic Q400 above Norway with AS weather and SF clouds and boy.... the idea of having to waste that time on tweak related stuff... yikes.

You simply have to decide not to be bothered with it anymore and from then on you can enjoy flying. As you should. Having a plane that keeps you busy, like the Q400, also helps btw! :happy:

Looks like you hit the sweet spot Jeroen. Count me in on this as well.

"If you keep looking for something, you're going to find it." as I like to say. 

2 hours ago, GSalden said:

Using Uimited means a FFTF of 0.01 .

Locked is much heavier on the system is because focus is on frames with the same distance between them . That results in more smoothness.

With my 5820 I ran a locked franerate of 20 !  That was smoother than unlimited + external framerate limiter ...

A few post ago I did put a link to the FSPS site where very clear has been described how to set it up best...

Gerard

I just want to verify something.

I run my system unlimited, Vsync and TB on with a 30Hz 4K monitor.

In doing so my FFTF is set to 0.01 due to the Unlimited P3D setting regardless of the fact that I am clipping the frames at 30 fps due to the Vsync with 30 HZ 

Correct?

Also thanks for all the dedicated info you continue to provide to our hobby!

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

Unlimited = 0.01 If you do not set a different value manually by the FFTF tweak inside the p3d.cfg file.

Locked means 0.33 If you do not set a different value manually by the FFTF tweak inside the p3d.cfg file. Therefore more terrain loading time and a lower framerate. Also because locked provides a more balanced / smoother framerate than unlimited the framerate of locked is slightly lower.

Eg : If you use locked 30 and set the program to 0.05 you will see almost the same franerate as with the default unlimited + Vsync on + 30 hrtz .

Hi

my experiences with FFTF...a few times tested and after 1-2 hours flying and then descend, always simulator crash to desktop. It happens somewhere Fl25-50 and from the destination airport some 30 NM, when CTD. And it's not mega-large centers, only a medium-sized aerodrome (shareware scenery LEBB, ESSA and so on). This CTD,did not happen before FFTF only before some blurries with same simulator settings.

I use in FFTF AGL Heigh settings - range 0-12 000 ft and FFTF range 0.02-0.40. In P3D4.2 settings Target Frame Rate = Unlimited, (VSync and TB = ON), also i use ActiveSky Live Weather, Chaseplane and ORBX Global, Vector, Europe LC and local ORBX scenery.

I have to test even more  but what should I change in FFTF?

regards

Eke

Edited by eke_flx

For everyone who did not find/read the FSPS blog :

The first thing is to find out what our PC is capable of. So we will describe the necessary steps in detail.

1.) Start Prepar3D and choose an area where you usually have low frames or blurries or stutter problems.

2.) At Options -> Graphics -> Display, set your target frame rate to 60. Start the flight.

3.) Start FFTF Dynamic, choose the AGL scenario, set low FFTF value to 0.01 and high FFTF value to 0.33. (With this step you actually get the most your pc can give for Prepar3D based on your current Prepar3D settings.)  

4.) While you are on ground, press Shift+Z and check your frames.

5a.) If your frames are high enough, then you can raise your settings. (One setting per time. Your Choice.). After each change of setting, wait for at least 30 seconds. Proceed with the increase of settings until you get around 24 frames.

5b.) If your frames are below 20, then you must reduce your settings. (One setting per time. Your Choice.). After each change of setting, wait for at least 30 seconds. Proceed with the decrease of settings until you get around 24 frames.

5c.) 24 frames is not an obligation. You can choose 22 or 28. Note that with good settings even with 20 frames, Prepar3D will still be flyable as silk.

6.) At Options -> Graphics -> Display, set your target frame rate to 24. 

6a.) If your frames are stable at 24, then you did a good job. If not, set target frame rate to a lower value (let's say 23 or 22) or decrease a setting.

6b.) Finally, when you have finished, you can increase the target frame rate by to 2 or 3 frames. Do not worry. Your pc will handle it.

You have achieved to have the max settings your pc can handle with FFTF value of 0.01. If you close the FFTF dynamic application or set the low FFTF value to 0.33, then you will see a big frame drop.

Now it is time to move to the FFTF Dynamic interface. We can make use of two scenarios. The frame or the AGL one. The choice is totally yours.

Frame rate scenario

In case we have set our target frame rate to 26, then at FFTF Dynamic interface, we must set the high frame value to 26-1=25. So over 25 frames, we will always have FFTF value of 0.33 (or your high FFTF value you have set from the interface). The low frame value must be set to the value of our stable frames finding before adding the extra 2...3 frames - 1. If our stable frames were 23, then we must set 23-1=22. So lower than 22 frames FFTF value will be 0.01 (or the low FFTF value you have set from the interface). Between 22 and 25 frames, the FFTF valve will be calculated and updated to P3D.

AGL Height Scenario

In this case, the low AGL height must be always zero. The high AGL height can be anything. Usually 2.000 feet above ground, P3D can handle the load, so we need high (default or higher) FFTF value to allow CPU to spend more time for scenery loading. So, at 0 AGL feet, FFTF value will be 0.01 and while you increase your altitude, FFTF value will be increased until high FFTF value setting at the high AGL altitude setting.

Conclusion

We need a low FFTF value (lowest acceptable is 0.01) when we are on the ground in order to get the benefit of the frames in heavy sceneries while we need higher FFTF value on the air for fast scenery load (Blurries elimination). 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, eke_flx said:

Hi

my experiences with FFTF...a few times tested and after 1-2 hours flying and then descend, always simulator crash to desktop. It happens somewhere Fl25-50 and from the destination airport some 30 NM, when CTD. And it's not mega-large centers, only a medium-sized aerodrome (shareware scenery LEBB, ESSA and so on). This CTD,did not happen before FFTF only before some blurries with same simulator settings.

I use in FFTF AGL Heigh settings - range 0-12 000 ft and FFTF range 0.02-0.40. In P3D4.2 settings Target Frame Rate = Unlimited, (VSync and TB = ON), also i use ActiveSky Live Weather, Chaseplane and ORBX Global, Vector, Europe LC and local ORBX scenery.

I have to test even more  but what should I change in FFTF?

regards

Eke

Your settings seem good. Try with all addon scenery unchecked. What happens then. 

Try with Chaseplane off , just for testing.