Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

The Dreamfleet Baron - just not right

Hmmm... I see you just don't want to drop this Rico. Now a couple of real pilots with experience flying the Baron and that have flown the Dreamfleet Baron have come in saying that they don't notice a problem. But a video of a single landing you saw just doesn't seem to compare with what you experience in the sim. Maybe we should offer two FDE's, one for real pilots and another to try to match what is perceived from videos. Yes, I'm perturbed at your critique when it is based on a video and I dont' recall you posting anything in the form of a question on the Dreamfleet forum, just negative comments on public forum. That seems like an agenda to me.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Actually I also have a solution for this perception. Shoot a sim video landing the Dreamfleet Baron probably loaded with two people and with half or less fuel on runway 23L at Auckland NZ. Rico, maintenance of proper approach speed and angle probably have the most to do with recreating what you see in this video. Also remember that if you are starting the Dreamfleet Baron from the default situation (which is how you should be) it will be fully loaded with fuel. The stock aircraft cfg does have it loaded with two 170 pound people occupying the front seats but if you land with that loading of full fuel the real and the sim plane will handle quite differently.PS. On short final your speed is controlled by pitch your height is controlled by power application, this is of course a switch in control compared to any other flight regime and takes quite a bit of practice to get right.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Better yet, we'd all get an idea of what he considers "correct".

Let him show what is "correct", maybe then we'll have something to judge his expertise in judging the work of others.

Well said Ron. It's been shown too often in the past that the harshest critics of FS addons are those who have no expertise to back up that criticism.

Evaluating handling from a single video is very... subjective. i'll pass.

>Well said Ron. It's been shown too often in the past that the>harshest critics of FS addons are those who have no expertise>to back up that criticism.Not trying to stir the pot, just saying that FS critics must be accountable when they set themselves as juge and jury over other peoples work.If freeware and commercial developers are accountable, then it's only fair and right for critics to be accountable as well:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

>>There seems to be a pervasive attitude among poster lately>that basically states you cannot criticize anything unless you>have first tried to reprogram the addon yourself. Imagine if>this attitude was applied to other goods you buy...problem>with your car and the mechanic tells you "before you complain>why don't you try building an engine yourself and realize how>hard it is". Give me a break. The original poster made some>good observations and backed it up with decent evidence. >It all has to do with how you put up your question or critique. The comments as I see it are generaly posted to glorify the posters expertise and knowhow. (this is a general comment and not at all directed against the poster of this thread BTW).I take it as a given that we are using a game engine. While this game engine is beter geared toward recrating flight than the Doom or Battlefield game engines there are non the less problems with the engine that prevent us from getting it 100% 'real'If you ever just look into what needs to be done in order to get a decent airfile you will get a lot more understanding for the guys that make them. I just looked at what needed to be done and what parameters there where to tweak. After that I removed the tools from my HD assured that I never ever could make something even remotly resembling real flight. It also left me with a new appreciation for the top guys in this buissnes.Back on track with the airfile theme. I'm realy curious about what Rob from Realair will come up with in their first twin. Hope to find some new twists and nuances in that flight model. Rob's work is simply amazing.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi Rico,sometimes, the obvious is forgotten, so for the sake of trying to help, can we assume you also have set your FS Realism Settings to the values the vendor recommends?Different settings can GREATLY affect the response of the flight model in FS.Hope this helps!

Guest JeanLuc_

quadruple post removed. tricky internet today!

Guest allcott

I have watched the video submitted as `evidence` and frankly, I don't see anything in there that could help define whether what we see in the sim is accurate or not.We do not know the model of `Baron` (nor even proof that it is a Baron, although I think it is)We do not know the weight of that BaronWe do not know the CG of that BaronWe do not know the fuel load of that BaronWe do not know the strength and direction of the windGiven that these items, and even a panel view to show the IAS, are missing from the `evidence`, I suspect whoever brought the case to be an incompetent prosecutor and I find the DreamFleet aircraft `Not Guilty`. Certainly the OP is no pilot, and obviously no expert in the creation of flight dynamics for flight simulator. The definitive answer has been provided from real-world pilots who see no reason to complain at the accuracy of the flight dynamics. As another real world pilot I would NEVER, EVER judge the relative performance of real and virtual world by watching a video. And now we know why!Allcott

>There seems to be a pervasive attitude among poster lately>that basically states you cannot criticize anything unless you>have first tried to reprogram the addon yourself. Don't I know it. I honestly heard an opera singer say that no critic has the right to critisize his style unless he studied singing himself.Probably film critics need to make their own movies first before being allowed to review them.

>>There seems to be a pervasive attitude among poster lately>>that basically states you cannot criticize anything unless>you>>have first tried to reprogram the addon yourself. >>Don't I know it. I honestly heard an opera singer say that no>critic has the right to critisize his style unless he studied>singing himself.>Probably film critics need to make their own movies first>before being allowed to review them.In order to offer meaningful critique on any subject, one must at least be knowledgable about the subject!If one wishes to compare/contrast a specific FS model's performance, it would seem to me intuitively obvious that the person offering the critique have real life experience as a pilot at least, even if not type-rated on the specific aircraft.I cannot help but note that immediately after I asked for specific details, the original thread was dropped like a hot potato, and this new thread started... :-roll I cannot and will not offer any opinion on the flight model for at least two specific reasons: 1) I don't own the product and 2) I'm not a licensed pilot. ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator