Sign in to follow this  
xTiMm_

What will be the next project by PMDG?

I only have one comment. The longer you wait to develop a 757 or 767, the fewer airframes there will be that are operating in the real world. Bizarre though the concept is to me, it seems that this matters in the world of flight simulation.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

14 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I only have one comment. The longer you wait to develop a 757 or 767, the fewer airframes there will be that are operating in the real world. Bizarre though the concept is to me, it seems that this matters in the world of flight simulation.

Well, yes, it might be a reason...

And it could also be a reason why to not do it... I mean that they might do an aircraft that just entered in service like the MAX (That is almost already confirmed), the A220, the E2-jets, the COMAC C919 or something like this... They might want an aircraft that will be in service for still long time instead of putting a dying aircraft. If you look at its past, they did the 777 in 2013, an aircraft that just entered in service (2004 for the -200LR), the NGX that entered in service in 1997 and that Ryanair had just received his last 737NG from his orders, the 747-8 that is quite young... 

My thought about those is that PMDG will take old planes if they are iconic, like the 747-400,

Edited by commandantyuuki

Yuuki

17 hours ago, commandantyuuki said:

Well, yes, it might be a reason...

And it could also be a reason why to not do it... I mean that they might do an aircraft that just entered in service like the MAX (That is almost already confirmed), the A220, the E2-jets, the COMAC C919 or something like this... They might want an aircraft that will be in service for still long time instead of putting a dying aircraft. If you look at its past, they did the 777 in 2013, an aircraft that just entered in service (2004 for the -200LR), the NGX that entered in service in 1997 and that Ryanair had just received his last 737NG from his orders, the 747-8 that is quite young... 

My thought about those is that PMDG will take old planes if they are iconic, like the 747-400,

But yes, it IS iconic! If you take the 767, it has and still IS a workhorse for the major airlines in the world. It was boeings first long range twin engined jet. It got certification in the 80s. But remember that the -300F is still in production and fedEX still has many orders to replace the a310s. Still, it featured 94' PW4000s, RB211-534 AS WELL as CF6-80A . Very few were the jets to have so many engine options as well as being produced for more than 3 DECADES. So, I don't really understand why it wouldn't be an interesting nor profitable job.(IMO)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LH340fan said:

But yes, it IS iconic! If you take the 767, it has and still IS a workhorse for the major airlines in the world. It was boeings first long range twin engined jet. It got certification in the 80s. But remember that the -300F is still in production and fedEX still has many orders to replace the a310s. Still, it featured 94' PW4000s, RB211-534 AS WELL as CF6-80A . Very few were the jets to have so many engine options as well as being produced for more than 3 DECADES. So, I don't really understand why it wouldn't be an interesting nor profitable job.(IMO)

Well, yes it can be, that's why I said it COULD be a reason not to, I didn't mention it is the reason...

The reason that it won't be profitable is that a lot of person like new stuff, instead old planes... Try to compare to either buy the new 787 or the Super Constellation, which would you choose ? It's the same thought as phones, everybody wants the newest phone, instead of iPhone 6 or 7 that they already have, they go buy the iPhone X (well, that is the case in Canada around my city, everybody go buy the latest phone...)

Yuuki

I think lots of folks would like to see the MD-11 return because they had so many fond memories flying it.  I spent years with the Level-D simulation of the Boeing 767, and miss it fondly as well.  I've flown for business on a MD-11 a few times back in the day before an airline would cancel a flight if it wasn't at least 98% full.  On one night flight back from Boston to Dallas we all got blankets and pillows and each person had a row to ourselves for stretching out and sleeping (arm rests flipped up).  They told us the flight was configured (the cabin) for International Travel and was being repositioned in Dallas for a flight to Paris the next morning.  Lucky!

Mark Trainer

4 hours ago, commandantyuuki said:

Well, yes it can be, that's why I said it COULD be a reason not to, I didn't mention it is the reason...

The reason that it won't be profitable is that a lot of person like new stuff, instead old planes... Try to compare to either buy the new 787 or the Super Constellation, which would you choose ? It's the same thought as phones, everybody wants the newest phone, instead of iPhone 6 or 7 that they already have, they go buy the iPhone X (well, that is the case in Canada around my city, everybody go buy the latest phone...)

I understand your point of view. After then it's just personal taste. I flew aboard those. I think that , ironically, you always want to get what you lost. It's a simple explanation. But I presume it will be the same with today's machines (ex 787)

My personal choice would be the 757. Far more elegant than a super stretched 737.

• Like 3

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

An MD-11 will never happen again from PMDG. It’s as simple as that.

• Like 3

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

On 12/20/2018 at 1:06 PM, LH340fan said:

Is the Level-D 767 officially no longer an issue? I have read about them to redo it for 64bit (I think) but then nada.

I know nothing about flight sim development, but if the next project was developing the systems to run outside the sim like the Majestic Q400 for those fps we all crave, I would be more than happy!

Daniel Rehling

It's really too bad  what seems like some petty arguments killed the M11, luckily the 32-bit version is very good, with Rotatesim working on a modern XPL reboot that, judging by the recent previews, is something to look forward to. I'm not expecting PMDG/FSL level systems, but something close enough for comfort.

Edited by Ilari Kousa

11 hours ago, CaptainLHKLM said:

I know nothing about flight sim development, but if the next project was developing the systems to run outside the sim like the Majestic Q400 for those fps we all crave, I would be more than happy!

Always love when this pops up. This is what we have been doing for literal decades...

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

Why was the 777 lineup never finished? Is the -200ER not popular enough?

-Thierry Nguepdjo

1 hour ago, Bigt said:

Why was the 777 lineup never finished? Is the -200ER not popular enough?

-Thierry Nguepdjo

Well, it's might be more complicated than you think. The -200LR and the 300ER have been developed at the same time together, so it's like the same generation for those. The -200ER is an older generation of those ones. So, yes they did complete the 777 if you are thinking of that generation of 2000. They are popular, but they are maybe more difficult to do that model.

But, would you prefer that they do the -200ER right now or work on the NG3, GFO and JS4100 ?

Yuuki

2 hours ago, commandantyuuki said:

Well, it's might be more complicated than you think. The -200LR and the 300ER have been developed at the same time together, so it's like the same generation for those. The -200ER is an older generation of those ones. So, yes they did complete the 777 if you are thinking of that generation of 2000. They are popular, but they are maybe more difficult to do that model.

But, would you prefer that they do the -200ER right now or work on the NG3, GFO and JS4100 ?

-200ER. How many times can the NG be done...and a glorified ACARS system is meh.