Tony P

Monitor Vs TV - give me your specs and pros/cons

Recommended Posts

As the title states - I'm in the market for a new monitor or TV depending on which one will work better with P3D.  I have a 1080ti and want smoothness,  visuals,  the works.  Also size matters but want to here what people think.

Thank you.

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm using a 44" 4k 60Hz Samsung TV with fully loaded P3Dv4 and loving it. 

VR, for my flying, is not ready for prime time. 

The big monitor at a viewing distance of about 32" makes the VC about 1:1 to realworld size.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worth reading along with any opinions:

https://www.displayninja.com/tv-vs-monitor/

https://www.gamingscan.com/tv-vs-monitor-for-gaming/

Also see: https://displaylag.com/display-database/

It's worth noting that most TVs have very limited physical adjustment - most rotate (left or right) on their stand but few, if any, have height or tilt adjustment. None have clockwise/anticlockwise rotation. Whilst you can buy wall mounts which incorporate these adjustments, they are expensive for large TVs.

Edited by vortex681
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tony P said:

As the title states - I'm in the market for a new monitor or TV depending on which one will work better with P3D.  I have a 1080ti and want smoothness,  visuals,  the works.  Also size matters but want to here what people think.

A 4K TV or monitor will give you exactly the same fps. What you should ask yourself is do you want immersion or sharpness? You can't have both.

A 40" TV will have 110.2 pixels per inch. But a 32" monitor will have 137.7. If you go larger than 40" the ppi drops even further. I wrote a post about it here.

I have mulled over TV or monitor for the last 6 months and have decided on a monitor for these reasons:-

  • Space prevents a 40" TV
  • Build and display quality of a monitor will far exceed a TV.
  • Colour accuracy will be greater with a good monitor.
  • Monitor can be tilted, raised and lowered for optimum viewing position.

I could buy a 40" Samsung TV for £400 but the BenQ PD3200U 32" 4K monitor I'm likely to buy will cost £630. Why the difference when the TV also includes a tuner and speakers? Compromises on quality, that's why.

The TV will probably have a VA panel where the picture quaity drops off as you move off axis. The best monitors have IPS panels where this doesn't happen. They also display more accurate colours and are popular with photographers.

Hope that helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

A 4K TV or monitor will give you exactly the same fps. What you should ask yourself is do you want immersion or sharpness? You can't have both.

A 40" TV will have 110.2 pixels per inch. But a 32" monitor will have 137.7. If you go larger than 40" the ppi drops even further. I wrote a post about it here.

I have mulled over TV or monitor for the last 6 months and have decided on a monitor for these reasons:-

  • Space prevents a 40" TV
  • Build and display quality of a monitor will far exceed a TV.
  • Colour accuracy will be greater with a good monitor.
  • Monitor can be tilted, raised and lowered for optimum viewing position.

I could buy a 40" Samsung TV for £400 but the BenQ PD3200U 32" 4K monitor I'm likely to buy will cost £630. Why the difference when the TV also includes a tuner and speakers? Compromises on quality, that's why.

The TV will probably have a VA panel where the picture quaity drops off as you move off axis. The best monitors have IPS panels where this doesn't happen. They also display more accurate colours and are popular with photographers.

Hope that helps.

I have to agree Ray, My 43" LG IPS panel is excellent. Could not be more happy.  I tested our lounge TV which is a Samsung 49" UHD and although worked fine, it was nowhere near as good as my IPS panel.

And 43 is as large as I can go without knocking a wall out 🙂

Incidentally, my new rig arrives tomorrow, exactly the same specs as the one in your sig. I was lucky to get the last one that incorporated a GTX1080Ti, as all new stock of 1080Ti's has dried up here.

 

Julian

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After mulling over the same situation for a few wks and coming from a Samsung 40" 4K I went looking for the best. What I wanted was vibrant color depth. After extensive looking and deciding what was best for Flight Siming and not gaming it came down to 3 choices in the 43" category. The LG 43" IPS 4k monitor, LG IPS 43" 6500 4k TV and the Sony IPS XBR 43 800e 4k TV. I tested the LG monitor but was under whelmed. I returned it and got the Sony and was blown away how good it is.  30HZ works like a charm and the details far surpasses the Samsung that im replacing. The Sony is almost twice as expensive than the others but the Quality is there. It did take a few hrs to get it tuned to what I like and you have to turn on the 4K ports otherwise they only put out 1080p. I tell you P3D V4 has never looked so good or performed better than it is now and that's coming from a different 4K TV. And Dynamic lighting is to die for.   Hope this helps.   Josh

Edited by FreeBird(Josh)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Henry Street said:

I'm using a 44" 4k 60Hz Samsung TV with fully loaded P3Dv4 and loving it. 

VR, for my flying, is not ready for prime time. 

The big monitor at a viewing distance of about 32" makes the VC about 1:1 to realworld size.

 

Not sure why I typed "Samsung" but actually am using a Sony TV similar to Josh. With color depth adjustments to compensate for HDMI, it really is very vibrant and sharp.

Regards Ray's comments, viewing distance and space are important to consider. If you don't have a lot of viewing distance, a small(er) monitor will look much better than a bigger TV.

https://uchisworld.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/model.jpg

Edited by Henry Street

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

A 4K TV or monitor will give you exactly the same fps. What you should ask yourself is do you want immersion or sharpness? You can't have both.

A 40" TV will have 110.2 pixels per inch. But a 32" monitor will have 137.7. If you go larger than 40" the ppi drops even further. I wrote a post about it here.

I have mulled over TV or monitor for the last 6 months and have decided on a monitor for these reasons:-

  • Space prevents a 40" TV
  • Build and display quality of a monitor will far exceed a TV.
  • Colour accuracy will be greater with a good monitor.
  • Monitor can be tilted, raised and lowered for optimum viewing position.

I could buy a 40" Samsung TV for £400 but the BenQ PD3200U 32" 4K monitor I'm likely to buy will cost £630. Why the difference when the TV also includes a tuner and speakers? Compromises on quality, that's why.

The TV will probably have a VA panel where the picture quaity drops off as you move off axis. The best monitors have IPS panels where this doesn't happen. They also display more accurate colours and are popular with photographers.

Hope that helps.

Ray, you may want to wait a few weeks. The PD3220U is about to come out and it will have better HDR10 support and comes with USB-C. It's on my list for replacing my current LG 43" 4k TV.

Cheers

-E

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

worth noting that it is just about impossible to use track ir with a tv due to distances involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ajaybala said:

worth noting that it is just about impossible to use track ir with a tv due to distances involved.

I use TrackIR with my TV. No issues. Sounds like you may need to adjust some things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ajaybala said:

worth noting that it is just about impossible to use track ir with a tv due to distances involved.

I'm using TrackIR right now on a Samsung 43" 4K TV from 36 inches away and it works just fine.

Edited by boddman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

are you using the pro clip or the standard hat fitment? i am using the standard hat fitment and i find it impossible to get the three dots at the center.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also, i sit around 4 feet away from my 43' tv. any closer and the screen seems too big.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Standard hat clip.  Sensor sits on top, angled down slightly to get everything in the center.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ajaybala said:

are you using the pro clip or the standard hat fitment? i am using the standard hat fitment and i find it impossible to get the three dots at the center.

You know I just thought of that after I hit "submit". I am using the pro clip  and it does have to be tilted upward to work. Thanks for helping me clarify.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, I just moved back another foot to test at 4 foot, and I did have to tilt it up some to recenter.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for the insight. will adjust a few things and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, evaamo said:

Ray, you may want to wait a few weeks. The PD3220U is about to come out and it will have better HDR10 support and comes with USB-C. It's on my list for replacing my current LG 43" 4k TV.

Cheers

-E

I've seen that monitor but it is going to be much more expensive and do I need HDR10 in P3D? HDR for television is not the same as HDR as depicted in P3D.

I don't really have a need for USB-C either. Makes me think the 3200 could be discounted. But nothing is showing up for Black Friday.

I'm curious why you're switching to a smaller display. Is a TV not giving you what you expected?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 55 inch Samsung 4K UHD serie 7. This TV used as a monitor is just my favourite monitor of all time. It is like having 4 27 inch  monitors in front of you. I am sitting an arm lenght away and its is clear and wonderful to view. Colors are fantastic.

 

I use it for flightsimming and ordinary PC work. You can't go wrong buying this beast of a MONITOR.

Edited by roarkr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, roarkr said:

I have 55 inch Samsung 4K UHD serie 7. This TV used as a monitor is just my favourite monitor of all time. It is like having 4 27 inch  monitors in front of you. I am sitting an arm lenght away and its is clear and wonderful to view. Colors are fantastic.

I use it for flightsimming and ordinary PC work. You can't go wrong buying this beast of a MONITOR.

If that works for you then fine. But just to put it into context a 55” 4K screen has 80 pixels per inch. That is only 11 pixels more than a 1920*1080 32” TV which is what I currently have. So you certainly have immersion but at the expense of sharpness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't read the manual or counted pixel per inch. Seeing is believing.

 

Seemg5b7C7.jpggT79tOF.jpg

Edited by roarkr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want the best there is absolutely no substitute for an OLED display. 

You have not seen anything until you have seen P3D at night with a true black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, TravelRunner404 said:

If you want the best there is absolutely no substitute for an OLED display. 

You have not seen anything until you have seen P3D at night with a true black.

Agreed. I have a 55" OLED TV and that is the smallest size you can get. But I wouldn't want something that huge 3ft away from me.

I rarely if ever fly at night. A calibrated quality panel will come pretty close given there is always some lighting in my room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, roarkr said:

I am sitting an arm lenght away and its is clear and wonderful to view.

Your arms must be considerably longer than mine! I sit further away from my 32" monitor than that. Do you not have to move your head around a lot to see the edges of the screen? i imagine that you'd need quite a bit of antialiasing to make things look smooth with that size screen at that distance even at 4k.

Edited by vortex681

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now