Skywolf

First reactions to P3Dv4.4

3 minutes ago, LecLightning56 said:

Looks like business as usual at my end with no definite improvements in fps and certainly not the observed boost to the Aerosoft A320.

Maybe a new update encourages a placebo effect that all our woes have all be cured even if all the indications are that things have changed very little.

Hmm, that is disturbing. I don't expect any improvement in fps, despite what has been reported(??) But I am hoping, more than anything, to be able to run photoscenery without blurries and delayed loading

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Upvote 1

W

2 hours ago, Peter Webber said:

I believe due to the water rendering optimization which you refer to, you are having a "sub conscious" "ooo!" "aaaa!" reflex action. Welcome to the 4.4 club...😊

What I meant was that of course people will see performance improvements when they go from a totally add-on burdened old install of P3D to a completely fresh add-onless install. "Amazing! my sim runs so well withouth 876 add-ons installed to it!" lol!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Here I will only un- and reinstall the Client as I have seen no important fixes/updates in Scenery and Content which would cause a FPS improvement .. 

It does.. who said that the auto gen hasn't been improved?..  you will be also unable to see the PBR models included by LM.

S.

12 minutes ago, davenicoll said:

I can confirm SimStarter does not work but all UK2000 and ORBX do. 

SimStarter will have an upgrade soon, it's in beta right now.

Kind regards, Michael

1 minute ago, addman said:

W

What I meant was that of course people will see performance improvements when they go from a totally add-on burdened old install of P3D to a completely fresh add-onless install. "Amazing! my sim runs so well withouth 876 add-ons installed to it!" lol!

Well, as you must appreciate during Beta tests we were able to compare System A using 4.3 with X number of add-on's against System A using 4.4 with the same number of add-on's. Personally I saw a 10-15 FPS performance increase on 4K.

Professional beta testers like Rob A. were able to test things in a much deeper level and using different machines, and accordingly also noticed performance improvements on different things. so it is not a surprise to see people reporting similar results here.

Regards,

S.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

It's a glitch in the Matrix ... watch for black cats.

Cheers, Rob.

I hope the Oracle gave you some good news.

46 minutes ago, simbol said:

It does.. who said that the auto gen hasn't been improved?..  you will be also unable to see the PBR models included by LM.

S.

The default PBR models I will never use.

Regarding the AG that might be an important one.

However, I recently reinstalled P3D with all addons and that took me 10 days ...

Several addons have added textures/bgl files in several different folders.

Again a lot of work and the improvement might be in the Cliënt update.

All xml addons are not the problem.

Just updated client then removed fsl a320 and spotlight installs and powered up p3d44: improved performance.  

Autogen loading seems to be better, didn’t see them load late in clumps, especially noticeable flying fast and low over orbx Scotland with its dark ag trees over white ground. 

Complex airports stay in mem longer so flying away from them and looking back, they don’t reload. 

Flying over DD Seattle and Washingtondc, smoother and photoscenery looked a bit better. 

Lax area always been messy in terms of smoothness but appeared much better, even with fsdt klax installed. Next I’ll reactivate orbx socal and see if it improved. 

But so far, looking pretty good. Ground textures seem to load faster and ag popping reduced. 

Also tested in both 2d and VR modes, performance improvements enhanced VR experience. 

Edited by kdfw__

I still do not get it, to me, it is not really helpful that LM constantly insists that besides Client, everything is "optional", this results in the discussion we have now and again. My question: do we profit from the improved autogen and water rendering if the Client alone is updated? I guess no... However, as others stated, doing a full install takes ages, but I might take the plunge nevertheless. But as updating the Client only takes almost no time, I will certainly start off with doing this. If I see already improvements doing so, I might wait for a full reinstall until I have a full weekend off...

• Like 2

I'll just do uninstall of the application, and then reinstall. All of my addons are outside of the main folder, except orbx and pmdg. So i hope it won't take me forewer. 

1 hour ago, simbol said:

Well, as you must appreciate during Beta tests we were able to compare System A using 4.3 with X number of add-on's against System A using 4.4 with the same number of add-on's. Personally I saw a 10-15 FPS performance increase on 4K.

Professional beta testers like Rob A. were able to test things in a much deeper level and using different machines, and accordingly also noticed performance improvements on different things. so it is not a surprise to see people reporting similar results here.

Regards,

S.

10-15 fps ? That's some serious improvement.

I hope that 10 to 15 fps improvement is across all phases of flight.. If I'm at 20 fps on final to eham, can I expect to be at 30 fps all factors being the same? 

Well, rats.  I just did a full re-install of P3D last weekend on a new SSD and spent a lot of time installing the ORBX stuff, Flightbeam, FSDT, ASP4 and PMDG  737/ 777.  Back to square one this weekend.

2 minutes ago, vin747 said:

I hope that 10 to 15 fps improvement is across all phases of flight.. If I'm at 20 fps on final to eham, can I expect to be at 30 fps all factors being the same? 

I wouldn't count on it. I'd take all posts about such huge improvements with a grain of salt.

I also would like to be able to block all posts from view that contain words like 'seem to be' and 'looks like'... We get remarks about seemingly improved performance after each and every update and up to now they all turned out to be caused by changed settings, different addons or simply placebo effects and wishful thinking. Anyone who says something like 'performance seems to be better' should be banned from this topic and only allowed back in after he or she has done some serious testing and can prove their findings with hard numbers. 😎

1 hour ago, simbol said:

Regards,

S.

8 minutes ago, J van E said:

I wouldn't count on it. I'd take all posts about such huge improvements with a grain of salt.

I also would like to be able to block all posts from view that contain words like 'seem to be' and 'looks like'... We get remarks about seemingly improved performance after each and every update and up to now they all turned out to be caused by changed settings, different addons or simply placebo effects and wishful thinking. Anyone who says something like 'performance seems to be better' should be banned from this topic and only allowed back in after he or she has done some serious testing and can prove their findings with hard numbers. 😎

Well Jeroen, it may seem different this time.. Besides that, personally I think folks who ask for folks to be banned should be banned first 😎

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Everyone seems to be chasing performance.  Very few have commented on the main feature which is the texture sharpness and lack (or persistence) of blurry textures.

What about the default aircraft with PBR?  What does that look like?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, J van E said:

If we added up all the claimed performance improvements from each P3D update we would be at 3000 FPS.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, vin747 said:

You need to know what that 10-15 fps improvement is from. If it was 100 fps to 115 fps, that's 15%. Scaling that to your case you'd not expect more than a 3 fps improvement.

Pete

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Rimshot said:

Well Jeroen, it may seem different this time.. Besides that, personally I think folks who ask for folks to be banned should be banned first 😎

I agree Bert 😉

18 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

You need to know what that 10-15 fps improvement is from. If it was 100 fps to 115 fps, that's 15%. Scaling that to your case you'd not expect more than a 3 fps improvement.

Pete

Exactly and that's why "am seeing 15 FPS is so misleading, If you go from 20-22 you would not even think about it. 

The people that trow +15 fps should put into context because I will be doing a client update and before I do it I will load my FPS test and look after and see just what the difference really is. If I go from 24 FPS to close to 40 I will be shouting about it.

It's far more about the %

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, BuddyDog said:

Well, rats.  I just did a full re-install of P3D last weekend on a new SSD and spent a lot of time installing the ORBX stuff, Flightbeam, FSDT, ASP4 and PMDG  737/ 777.  Back to square one this weekend.

Why? Uninstall client, install client, uninstall scenery, install scenery, uninstall content, install content. For you next run FTX central, FSDT live updater and install the Active Sky Beta patch. Thereafter you'll be good to go.